The room for improvement

We all know its the biggest room in the house :duntmatter:   but, I wonder if we have a squad that's more likely to improve between now and January than others. Whilst many squads are full of established first team players we have a team full of players that either haven't played together, haven't played a great deal of football lately, or haven't played a great deal of first team football at all....

Dawson- inexperienced

Palmer- never really had a sustained run in the team

Hector- new to the club/teammates

Thorniley- inexperienced

Penney- inexperienced

Pulepessy- still new to English football

Onomah- young, learning all the time

Joao- never had a sustained run in the side

Forestieri- in and out with injury and suspension for last 12 months

All these players you would expect will improve as the season goes on if they can stay fit and maintain a good level of confidence.

I may be grabbing a big straw, but there's an argument to suggest we can only improve as the season goes on, which is a good position to be in given that we're currently 6th.

• Like 2

The team are on an upward curve. Almost all of the players look better individually as well than they did last season with few exceptions.

If we can blend the quality we have on the sidelines into an improving side then who knows what they might achieve as a team

Edited by Mystic Neg

We are definitely getting better and there's no reason to believe the improvement won't continue. Hector and Onomah have shown they are class acts and what we were crying out for post-Wembley (but clueless being clueless thought otherwise). But they have just begun playing for us so I'm sure they will get even better. Jos has resurrected the careers of perennial strugglers/under achievers like Adthe, Matias and Joao so why can't he do the same for the stars  currently on their way back? Lee, Abdi, Hooper, Hutchinson? Don't forget that since the Brentford game we are joint second on form (only 3rd due to GD) and just one point off top. We are going up....

Edited by Almat
  • Like 1

Long way to go, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

6th in the league, 1 defeat in 9 and our form under Jos since the backend of last season has been very good. 

There's still some real quality in this squad and good know-how and experience. 

Makes you wonder what we might be capable of if we really click into gear. Generally speaking, we've always been stronger in the second part of the season. 

I think this is a bad trait of football fans, lets not crush the belief Jos is instilling in them.

We're fans, they look to us for support, not calculated reasons as to why they need replacing.

Edit; I see you may have meant improvement by progression and development within the group

Edited by bigash_swfc

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

Living in the straw clutching world. Add Hooper, Lee, Abdi and Hutchinson to that then we look in great shape.

Things look very positive.

All injury prone and cant be relied on . 

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

Living in the straw clutching world. Add Hooper, Lee, Abdi and Hutchinson to that then we look in great shape.

The team without those names mentioned is looking positive enough and for these players to be part of its development they have to first get truly fit and be patient and get through any setbacks on the programme.

They then have to first, work in the week to get a spot on the bench before seizing and shining when the chance is given and go on to perform at that level consistently thereafter.

I would not be surprised if Carlos has been involved in some sort of advisory role whilst weighing up his next challenge as so far in terms of spirit and mood it reminds me very much of how he assembled a new group in a short time and the pieces began to fit very quickly.

Good post Rumbelows. I would only add that it is staggering where we are at this point in the season, taking into account the relative lack of experience in key positions, and injuries to key players.

We ain't no Barcelona, that is for sure, but we have shown grit, determination and endeavour for the most part this season, attributes and characteristics that were clearly absent last season. Long may these continue, and apart from the odd blip, what is encouraging is taking points off both top and bottom teams, something we were awful at for the past 3 seasons.

10 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I may be grabbing a big straw, but there's an argument to suggest we can only improve as the season goes on, which is a good position to be in given that we're currently 6th.

I have frequently said that I believe we will improve. I think we have more scope for improvement than many other teams.

9 hours ago, sw1867 said:

So my clutching at straws bit at the start of the sentance didn’t give you a clue that it was maybe a hopeful comment?

Until someone comes out and categorically says they are finished, what would be the point of completely writing them off, other than to be pessimistic about everything.

Im sure JL hasn’t based his strategy going forward on having them back but what a boost it would be if any of them do.

Hutchinson is far from done. And like you say with the others its all a case of get the PROPERLY fit and see what there like

10 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

I think this is a bad trait of football fans, lets not crush the belief Jos is instilling in them.

We're fans, they look to us for support, not calculated reasons as to why they need replacing.

Edit; I see you may have meant improvement by progression and development within the group

This is Sheffield Wednesday fans you are talking about...... there always has to be a scapegoat. 

These are the supporters who booed John Sheridan..... Gave players like Lewis Buxton and Atdhe Nuhiu tonnes of abuse but then were all desperate for them to sign contracts for us. 

Look at the Dawson thread.

21 hours ago, sw1867 said:

Right now I’d swap the lot of them for a top notch right back.