After 15 matches it’s almost set in stone - Season 4

Indulgent stats hirsty, love it.

odds are we will probably get around 4 points from the next 3. 23 after 15 leaves room for improvement but given our abysmal start and tough run recently then I’m slightly optimistic.

cant be bothered checking but isn’t our April run of fixtures pretty horrific? We could do with being ahead of the curve by that point! 

1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

Blimey! 

WTF:

People like you are proper weirdos. 

Being disagreed with then going through a number of posters other posts, in non-related threads negging is very worrying behaviour. 

Statistically, it is highly likely that such a person is unhappy with life. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I never said it wasn't interesting ….I just don't think it proves much ..if we lost the next 3 we'd probably be 7 points outside the play offs with 31 games to go . I don't see that as an unsurmountable gap to make up . I'd guess quite a few sides have made the play offs from 7 points behind with that amount of games still to be played  

Either you didn't read the full post or you didn't understand.

40 minutes ago, torryowl said:

so no team as made up a 7 point gap with 31 games left to make the play offs …...I find that hard to believe but if you have done the research then i'll have to believe you .

He's right.

He ruined the fuckingseason for me around this time last year but he built it up more and we'd already been beat by United at home.

Rejoice in the here and now, pray for the future and grow a 'tache.  Jos knows.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I never said it wasn't interesting ….I just don't think it proves much ..if we lost the next 3 we'd probably be 7 points outside the play offs with 31 games to go . I don't see that as an unsurmountable gap to make up . I'd guess quite a few sides have made the play offs from 7 points behind with that amount of games still to be played  

And yet historically, if we lost the next three we would literally have to be extraordinary through the remainder of the season to pick up the points needed to guarantee a play off spot according to the OP. You don't want to have to rely on top two/three form throughout the entirety of the rest of the campaign 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

And yet historically, if we lost the next three we would literally have to be extraordinary through the remainder of the season to pick up the points needed to guarantee a play off spot according to the OP. You don't want to have to rely on top two/three form throughout the entirety of the rest of the campaign 

no you don't but I don't see 7 points adrift with 31 games to play as a gap that cant be made up ….

7 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I’m pretty sure that’s what every team will do.

im just telling everybody that after 15 matches approximately 12 teams will have less than 20 points.

Over 20 seasons that is 240 teams.  Of those 240 teams, 4 have gone on to finish in the top 6. 

236 of the 240 have not made the top 6.

So basically, the teams with less than 20 points after 15 matches have a 1 in 60 chance of making the play offs.

Some will find that interesting.  Others like you won’t.

fair enough.

That is definitely a better way to look at it. 

6 hours ago, torryowl said:

no you don't but I don't see 7 points adrift with 31 games to play as a gap that cant be made up ….

Have you actually read the OP properly?  :duntmatter:

Edited by Almat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

so no team as made up a 7 point gap with 31 games left to make the play offs …...I find that hard to believe but if you have done the research then i'll have to believe you .

In 2006/07, Sunderland under Keane had 19 points and the 6th team had 25 points.  So they made up 6 points.

Fulham last season had 19 points and Derby had 25 in 6th.  So they also managed to get in the play offs after being 6 points adrift after 15 matches.

Palace under Dowie (03/04) are the only rxsmple I can find.  They had 16 points after 15 matches.  6th place had 27 points which is very high.  Palace made up 11 points!

statistically that is an amazing season because after 15 matches 6th place had 27 points which is the highest in the past 20 years.  Yet Palace ended up making the top 6 with a relatively low total of 73 points.