From Doom and Gloom to Top 2.

35 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

I'm 100% certain this is how the manager sees it too.  Small groups of games, small targets.  Hit the targets, move on to the next group of games. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we were firmly entrenched in the top 6/auto battle come the FA Cup 3rd round.  I'd settle for in the play offs because it will take a run of form like no other to get us up and keep us in the auto hunt, but the motivation now is to keep touch with that top 3-4.  Quite frankly, there is very little pressure on us compared to West Brom, Middlesborough etc.  We never expected to be here.  Forest spent gazillions and I fully expect L**ds to taper off.  The grunters? Well wouldn't you like to put them under a little pressure to see if they can walk the walk?  Like I said in another thread..."All this is happened before...And it will happen again."

Quick question...if we were in the top 6/auto hunt (say maximum 9pts off autos) on FA Cup 3rd Round day, is there any P&S wiggle room to strengthen without getting rid of Reach, FF, Joao, BB, Penney or any other crown jewel? That is a question I'd like to know the answer to.  I'm not talking millions, but is there any way we could get a 6 month loan of real quality in?  If you were a senior player is there any type of player you would like to see in the door? 

Think January transfers will depend on who leaves. Ideally if we could get rid of some of those that aren’t likely to contribute, there may be a little wiggle room for a loan. The problem will be getting the right quality of loan.

Most people had out squad down as mid table at best this year, so if they're firmly in the top 6 come January I think it'd be harsh on all of the regular starters to look into replacements/improvements.

From what I've seen so far, we're actually a well balanced squad. There have been a couple of stand out players, but looking the other way I wouldn't say we have any massive weaknesses that desperately need addressing. 

We've got players with a bit of pace capable of playing in wide attacking positions in FF, Reach, Joao and Matias. I think that Onomah could play there too. Let's not forget that Boyd is there as a back up, and Stobbs could break through too. 

We've got plenty of options at centre forward. 

Our midfield looks good. Bannan pulling the strings with a box to boxer (Onomah or Lee) and a holding player to do the dirty work (Pelupessy or Hutch) alongside him. That's not an area that needs addressing. 

Hector seems to have steadied the defence. Him & Lees are quality at this level, and Thorniley looks the real deal too. With Pudil and Van Aken as back-up, we're not crying out for a centre back either. There's still work to be done to start picking up clean sheets, but I think we're getting there with that. Penalty at Bristol, worldly against Villa, on another day both of those games would have been 2-0. 

The only area to address would be the fullback/wing-back positions. Penney looks top quality, but if he picks up a knock we're left short. Fox isn't good enough. Palmer has looked better this season, but I think that's one area that could do with a bit of improvement. Penney looks a lot more dangerous in attack than Palmer does. I think we miss some of the pace and crossing from the right that Jack Hunt was capable of, but even then I don't think it's leaving us looking too vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

I worry about a true beast in midfield as without Hutchinson we seem to lack this. Pelepussy seems to go missing at times and this exposes our defence. In attack we have some of the best options in the league but we really need to tighten up at the back. That beast in midfield is the key in my opinion.

It's the 1 area of the team that was never looked at when fans were screaming about it after Wembley. Why did CC not hear that but heard apparent screams for Rhodes. 

I actually think Onomha is toughening us up and I actually think Hector looks like that beast of a DMC

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

I worry about a true beast in midfield as without Hutchinson we seem to lack this. Pelepussy seems to go missing at times and this exposes our defence. In attack we have some of the best options in the league but we really need to tighten up at the back. That beast in midfield is the key in my opinion.

Whether it’s a beast or just better in midfield I don’t know but we have to be winning the 2nd balls and keeping more than 40% possession.  I don’t know if Hutch is the answer any more. Perhaps Joey will grow into the player we need. 

For me the teams fortunes changed when we went up to Leeds and played really well to win 2-1 despite the second half blizzard. Our final 10 games resulted in a big change, with the exception of a thrashing at QPR we finished 3rd in the “current form and top scorers” over the final 10 games.

Once again we started slowly this season, losing at Wigan and Brentford were poor defeats,

but I always believed promotion was possible and backed my feeling with a £100 bet and decided that I would attend every away game this season.

There is something about this season that reminds me of 1979/80.

Anyway we will see.

UTO

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Owls talk has yet again swung from 1 mood to the total opposite. The feel good factor has driven out of town the merchants of doom. To be honest im firmly sat on the fence. Lets get through the xmas period then a true picture of where the season is going can be seen.Well done to the team on its present run but more is needed.

If we were ever so slightly better at holding on to a lead (or at being awarded penalties or taking chances to go 3-0 up) we'd be top 2 right now.

The margins are incredibly fine right now. If we can iron out a few creases and continue to improve, we're in with a shout.

3 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

If we were ever so slightly better at holding on to a lead (or at being awarded penalties or taking chances to go 3-0 up) we'd be top 2 right now.

The margins are incredibly fine right now. If we can iron out a few creases and continue to improve, we're in with a shout.

Thats why...after the game at bristol had finished, I wasn't so bothered that bristol got one back, and we held out...

WBA must have gone through the head of every player out there, but look back at the last 10, and we were fairly good at closing it out..thats got to be a confidence builder

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Thats why...after the game at bristol had finished, I wasn't so bothered that bristol got one back, and we held out...

WBA must have gone through the head of every player out there, but look back at the last 10, and we were fairly good at closing it out..thats got to be a confidence builder

Aye.

Really like how Jos has us ticking - especially how dangerous we look on the break.

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Hopefully, the lad from Spurs will be the 'beast' but in a more subtle way.  Seems to have a good footballing brain and once he gets to grips with his teammates I can see him becoming a very valuable player to the squad. 

13 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Most relaxing season I can remember. We aren’t going down and most of us have zero expectations of going up. It’s extremely pleasant as a supporter.

Most I know think there is fair chance of top 6...or think it could go to the wire at least.

Without excitement and hope, what's the point?

Of course, if you are right, most of the ones you know will have more room to relax once we are mid table and out of it. lol

Having been away from the holy ground for 5 years now the one thing that sticks out is our lack of pace at both ends of the field. We have ability on the ranks so put round pegs in round holes! FF is the best around at this level so make him feel it and press teams. We can be different ....