If We Have To Sell In January . Reach Or Fessi ?

22 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Get promoted and we don't have to sell anyone.

Id imagine if we are top 6 come January DC will make the gamble. If not hell sell one of the big assets. I really hope we are in a position to gamble and that gamble pays off!

Two points, firstly Bannan signing a deal doesn’t mean he’s staying infact it could well mean the opposite, as the length of contract remaining on a player increases his value. Secondly, due to our performances (as mentioned already) I would expect no outgoings till the summer with the exception of maybe Westwood on loan. We don’t NEED to sell any asset in January 

Edited by keepitsteel89

1 hour ago, keepitsteel89 said:

We don’t NEED to sell any asset in January 

That's true of course, but often times clubs panic buy or pay big bucks to consolidate.

That's the dilemma, sell in Jan or wait. If we wait, transfer fees could fall especially if we are in the dodah with ffp come March/April.

All in the unlikely event we are not promoted of course..:biggrin:

10 hours ago, 83owl said:

So the club should be built around one player then? Seems like a sensible idea.

Where do I say that? I state that a good manager would integrate Fessi as he is a fantastic asset in a team. People say incorrectly he’s not a team player and he is, he’s just not much of a track back type player....like loads of forwards. He’s a better harassing and tackling player than all our other forwards, and a lot of our midfielders.

Seeing as you’ve raised it, when you’ve a player like Forrestieri, as a manager one of your formations of playing SHOULD be built to maximise his impact and effectiveness. Not seen this yet from Jos

7 hours ago, Stan Dupowls said:

Seeing as you’ve raised it, when you’ve a player like Forrestieri, as a manager one of your formations of playing SHOULD be built to maximise his impact and effectiveness. Not seen this yet from Jos

Very interesting point.

Forestieri has started five games. W0. D3. L2

He has come on as sub in four. W4. D0. L0

He has missed three. W1. D1. L1

You could draw very different conclusions from that. You could argue that he shouldn’t start, and that instead he should be used as a very successful sub.

Or, you could argue that Jos hasn’t found a system yet that gets anywhere near the best from FF.

But getting back to the OP’s question, when you look at the facts after 12 games, it’s very obvious who Jos would see as the more important player.

The key is not selling assets in a fire sale in the summer because we are forced to.

We will get screwed over.

Better to sell one big asset on our terms for the best price possible in January.

However our decision making to sell players to maximise value has always been awful. 

100% sell one of Reach or FF in January for me. 

1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

The key is not selling assets in a fire sale in the summer because we are forced to.

Better to sell one big asset on our terms for the best price possible in January.

However our decision making to sell players to maximise value has always been awful. 

So we are in the hunt for promotion and we sell one of our best players,?

That would be up there with the awful decisions you speak of 

5 hours ago, the monk said:

So we are in the hunt for promotion and we sell one of our best players,?

That would be up there with the awful decisions you speak of 

You are talking about playing Russian Roulette with our future.

Upside, possible promotion. 

Downside, possible 12 point deduction, fine etc. That could set us back another 10 years. 

Brave man to make that call. 

As as we have seen with Pigs and Leeds selling one of your most valuable assets can actually work in your favour. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds

11 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Strange how some of the posters on here who were saying JOS would fail are now posting about us selling our players after every win...why would that be?

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Very interesting point.

Forestieri has started five games. W0. D3. L2

He has come on as sub in four. W4. D0. L0

He has missed three. W1. D1. L1

You could draw very different conclusions from that. You could argue that he shouldn’t start, and that instead he should be used as a very successful sub.

Or, you could argue that Jos hasn’t found a system yet that gets anywhere near the best from FF.

But getting back to the OP’s question, when you look at the facts after 12 games, it’s very obvious who Jos would see as the more important player.

Ditto interesting stats....

I think there’s truth in all your 3 scenarios leading to my personal fear;

1. He does bring him on as a high impact sub, the cop out, beacause what worries me is;

2. Jos hasn’t got a system to play him in successfully and therefore

3. Jos may well favour steady players in favour of flair players and let FF go

Which would be a spectacular waste of talent we can’t replace. He’ll probably stick with 1 unless he stumbles onto a successful FF system.

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Strange how some of the posters on here who were saying JOS would fail are now posting about us selling our players after every win...why would that be?

I’ve never said Jos will fail ever. Only been supportive of what he’s done from day one. The performance and organisation impressed me in his first game at the Sty.

He’s doing a great job. My posts reflect that view and always have.

There seems to be a general consensus at least one player with decent value will have to be sold at some point. I’d rather do it on our terms for good money rather than get screwed over when our backs are really against the wall financially.

You disagree? 

4 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I’ve never said Jos will fail ever. Only been supportive of what he’s done from day one. The performance and organisation impressed me in his first game at the Sty.

There seems to be a general consensus at least one player with decent value will have to be sold at some point. I’d rather do it on our terms for good money rather than get screwed over when our backs are really against the wall financially.

You disagree? 

Well yeah,  you might well post your rational, well-reasoned points, but...er...umm...

Conspiracy.jpeg.64d262f3aedce4063b563037d41e96e4.jpeg

1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

You disagree? 

By whom? Posters on here have absolutely zero knowledge about any discussions with the EFL / FA about our financial situation and yet there's a general consensus ?

14 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

By whom? Posters on here have absolutely zero knowledge about any discussions with the EFL / FA about our financial situation and yet there's a general consensus ?

I believe the Chairman made some comment about problems if we are not promoted. 

The last set of accounts show big losses. The next set of accounts will look very sick unless we sell a player for decent money or find £10m plus legit income from somewhere. 

You aint got to be Warren Buffett to realise the position we have is not sustainable given our wage bill doesn’t really drop until July 2019. 

We could bury our heads in the sand or draw realistic conclusions from the evidence presented to us.

The consensus was amongst posters on here in threads of this nature. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds

If we’re going to have to go down the line of selling our best players every few years then we need one of two things - a steady supply of talent coming through the academy or an effective scouting system to identify up and coming talent to develop. Are we all confident that we can consistently do either of these things over the next few years? TBH the policy of keeping this team together was a sound one in my opinion, it’s the fringe players that were brought in that wrecked us.