Who is out of contract at the end of the season?

On 09/10/2018 at 15:36, Quist said:

Think several younger players contracts up in addition to Penney. Think Stobbs contract expires and several who have not played for first team yet. 

I am certain impending departure of a number of players was a big contributor to embargo being lifted. 

stobbs got another year, not sure why we signed him up tbh he's no where near ready and is 20/21

On 07/10/2018 at 22:20, York_Owl said:

Westwood 

Jones

Abdi

Boyd

Pudil

Lee

Hooper

Matias

Fox

They can all go for me.

I'd probably keep Pudil given the choice. Plus his family are well settled so he'd probably want to stay. Age and any drop in form may mean he leaves though.

Interesting to see what Jos decides.

21 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

They can all go for me.

I'd probably keep Pudil given the choice. Plus his family are well settled so he'd probably want to stay. Age and any drop in form may mean he leaves though.

Interesting to see what Jos decides.

May also depend what division we are in. 

Get promoted all probably go.

20 hours ago, room0035 said:

Craig i am not saying that what I am saying is we are hoping all these players leave and we save £10m a season on wages, but some of them if not replaced from within will need replacing, Pudil and Fox go that leaves only Penney at left back and I personally see him further up the pitch as a left wing or wing back but we still need cover in that stop. If Palmer goes we need a new right back as baker is not ready.

Lee does not come back we don't have a box to box midfielder in the team, do we make do or try and sign an Hourahan or some one like that to replace him.

If you get rid of 10 players it leave you squad short and is asking a lot of kids to step up and be consistent.

The figures I quoted what the current going rate for a championship quality  midfielder who scores goals, creates goals and has the engine of a keiren lee.

I get that, but when you're suggesting that we'd be spending 20 million to replace them, you're way off, because their value to the team is much lower than what they're being pad. 

The previous recruitment plan has left us with expensive players as backups. The only way we'll be spending big money to replace these guys is if we're using the money we're saving on fourth and fifth choice players to sign first choice players. We seem to have a stockpile of old, broken midfielders that even when fit, are behind Bannan, Pelupessy, Reach and even Hutchinson. If Jones goes, we won't spend the same money he's getting to replace him, his spot as fifth choice will go to a kid. 

It's only first team regulars that need replacing for similar money, not the cast offs. They will all be replaced by youth. 

21 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Sorry, where have i said Jos is astute because of his signings? I'm referring the whole picture - he does his homework in a lot of departments, injuries, professionalism, ability, work rate and as you have alluded to, getting the youngsters playing and playing well may I add .. his only permanent signing, Pelupessy, although not a match winner does an effective job in his role and for what, 500k ... so as i say, it will be interesting to see what Jos is like with a bit of cash to spend ..

You previous post said 

23 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Given how the club have been recently with transfers and contracts and i feel Jos is very astute with the particulars, i don't think we'll have a problem with contracts ..

I am extremely interested in seeing what Jos is like in the transfer market though with a big of cash

I hope Jos ends up being another Stuart gray very good at developing players and making them better than they were, also able to develop youth, he does this we will be fine. I do not see him having any significant money for at least a few years. But hopefully by that time he won't need it and 2 or 3 more Matt Penney coming through in other positions.

1 hour ago, CraigSGM said:

I get that, but when you're suggesting that we'd be spending 20 million to replace them, you're way off, because their value to the team is much lower than what they're being pad. 

The previous recruitment plan has left us with expensive players as backups. The only way we'll be spending big money to replace these guys is if we're using the money we're saving on fourth and fifth choice players to sign first choice players. We seem to have a stockpile of old, broken midfielders that even when fit, are behind Bannan, Pelupessy, Reach and even Hutchinson. If Jones goes, we won't spend the same money he's getting to replace him, his spot as fifth choice will go to a kid. 

It's only first team regulars that need replacing for similar money, not the cast offs. They will all be replaced by youth. 

I am not suggest we will be spending £20m what I said was we were losing what had cost £10m+ to sign and wages of around £10m a year.

Penney, Thorniley, Dawson, Wildsmith will mean we can off load Fox, Pudil, Westwood, Loovens and not need to replace them players that cost us £3m for Pudil and Fox but probably cost us at least £50,000 a week in salaries thats £2.5m saving a season and I know Loovens left last season but the emergence of Thorniley meant we did not need a replacement.

But we don't have a lot of choice in central midfield we have Bannan who is the play maker and the workman like Pelupessy Kirkby who a kid - Hutch, Lee, Onomah, Jones, Abdi are all out of contract so that leaves us very thin on the ground in central midfield one or two injuries and we are reliant on kids. If we want to have a signicant go at romotion in the next few season we need squad depth and als an experience backbone.

When fit Hooper is one of the best in the league but his £30-40,000 a week is a waste when he only plays 30 games a season, Pudil was a panic signing last season and if we get 25 games out of him we will have done well, Matias, Abdi, Jones, Boyd expensive mistakes,

I am a massive Westwood fan and even though he is not training his influence in training will be improving both kids but £20,000 a week for him to sit in the stands is a waste 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I am not suggest we will be spending £20m what I said was we were losing what had cost £10m+ to sign and wages of around £10m a year.

Penney, Thorniley, Dawson, Wildsmith will mean we can off load Fox, Pudil, Westwood, Loovens and not need to replace them players that cost us £3m for Pudil and Fox but probably cost us at least £50,000 a week in salaries thats £2.5m saving a season and I know Loovens left last season but the emergence of Thorniley meant we did not need a replacement.

But we don't have a lot of choice in central midfield we have Bannan who is the play maker and the workman like Pelupessy Kirkby who a kid - Hutch, Lee, Onomah, Jones, Abdi are all out of contract so that leaves us very thin on the ground in central midfield one or two injuries and we are reliant on kids. If we want to have a signicant go at romotion in the next few season we need squad depth and als an experience backbone.

When fit Hooper is one of the best in the league but his £30-40,000 a week is a waste when he only plays 30 games a season, Pudil was a panic signing last season and if we get 25 games out of him we will have done well, Matias, Abdi, Jones, Boyd expensive mistakes,

I am a massive Westwood fan and even though he is not training his influence in training will be improving both kids but £20,000 a week for him to sit in the stands is a waste 

This should always have been part of the plan. It’s always been my argument, that we shouldn’t duplicate every position with a seasoned pro on big money. A core of about 18 players, then infil with the young uns, or If needs be, loanees

TBH a bit early to start writing players off. By Xmas last year I would gladly have wanted Pudil and Nuhiu shifting but then six months later was pleased they'd extended their time with us. Those with poor injury records are most at risk IMO. I would let any of them go in January, however, if a reasonable offer was made.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This should always have been part of the plan. It’s always been my argument, that we shouldn’t duplicate every position with a seasoned pro on big money. A core of about 18 players, then infil with the young uns, or If needs be, loanees

Indeed with the change to transfer windows instead of being able to get players in all year round it was hoped more youngsters would be developed all it led to was bigger squads.

But when finishing last in the PL get you £100m you can see why.

We have a good squad, some youngsters that are developing, if we could get one or two of the long term injured fit such as Lee and Winnall it will give us something different to the squad but like most I cannot see Lee returning, the most under rated player in the league and a top bloke to boot.

Lets enjoy the top 6 for a few weeks and see where we are come Christmas, onwards and upwards hopefully - and of course Leeds going backwards as usual. lol

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Personally I’d like us to hold onto Palmer, Pudil and Matias. Guess it depends on what we see from them this season, Abdi and Matias in particular. 

No point keeping Pudil on at all, he's on too high a wage to be a back up player. It makes no business sense at all, not when he can be easily replaced by someone younger and hungrier, someone that we could even develop. 

Same with Palmer, we can replace what he contributes over a season with a better player, on lower wages, or even a loan. Matias is someone i would wait on to see how he performs over the full season. 

Lee i would offer a pay as you play contract too, with the caveat that he needs to play at least 20 games this season. Hooper can do one, his professionalism is definitely questionable. 

If Pudil sees out the season in decent shape I’d think about giving him a year more, good utility player and still in relatively good nick for his age 

all depends on whether we’re able to spend any dosh I suppose 

Edited by FreshOwl

On 08/10/2018 at 10:57, TrickyTrev said:

Get rid of the lot of em.

Jones, Boyd and Fox aren’t good enough.

Abdi has been a complete and utter waste of a contract.

Pudil as much as I like him doesn’t fit in with the policy of signing younger players so I’d love to see us replace him with Hector. If FIFA do bring in the new ruling of how many players a club can loan out at any one time I think Chelsea would be open to a sale.

Matias is never fit and Westwood is never going to play.

As for Hooper and Lee, both quality players but they’re no good to us sat in the treatment room picking up what will be decent wages.

Spot on post for me. Also it appears our manager is happy to invest in youth, so extending/renewing contracts for aging injury prone players may well not be his style anyway.  For what it’s worth irrespective of results, I feel quite excited that the club is now looking to develop young talent. 

On 10/10/2018 at 21:23, Junk Smuggler said:

If we can get Leefit again he's the only one I'd look to keep. He offers us something we currently don't have. The others are replaceable in that respect.

Hooper fits the same bracket links our transition play better than anything we currently have.

Edited by soldierboyblue

11 hours ago, pussface said:

Can see Westwood & Hooper going in Jan, possibly Fox too.

Matias & Palmer offered deals and the rest released/retired.

If we are pushing top 6 and if he is fit,you think he will let Hooper go in Jan? I’d agree with letting some of that list go but they are contracted till June and we would still have to pay them off so that would make no sense financially or footballing wise.

We can’t rely on the likes of Hooper, Lee, Hutch and Abdi when it comes to fitness. If we are managing to get game time out of them, come January, then that will be a bonus. If we can offload a few of the others, and bring in another couple of Premier League loanees, then we’ll be fine We don’t need to spend more money