Shocking but happy

10 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Actually as things stand we are a top 6 side. Everyone has played twelve and we are sixth. It's just that you don't want us to be a top six side for some reason.

I do want us to be a top 6 side. I want us to go up automatic. But I’m being realistic and I make judgements based on the games that I’ve seen. I watched the Leeds vs Brentford game yesteday and the standard was far higher. We’ve been outplayed by Wigan, Brentford, Leeds, Forest and stoke in large parts this year. I’d only consider that we’ve played well against Millwall, Villa, Reading and WBA. We’ve done ok against Hull, Ipswich and Bristol city today. 

Its great to be 6th but Im not getting carried away. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Absolutely. We were coasting at 2-0 and had no problem keeping the at arms length - it looked more likely to go to 3-0 than 2-1. Then Palmer dwells on it and loses it too easily and we compound that by committing a needless foul in the box. 

Should have been our first clean sheet as they never looked like scoring from open play in the second half, other than perhaps the one across the box at 2-0 when FF ball watches and lets his man go out wide, similar chance to West Brom's first on Wednesday.

Agreed. I always get annoyed when full backs try to be clever and put their own team under pressure.

My old teacher used to say "If in doubt, put it out". If Palmer had just given away a harmless throw in I think we'd have closed the game out comfortably. Think we invite pressure onto ourselves sometimes, hence the absence of clean sheets.

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I do want us to be a top 6 side. I want us to go up automatic. But I’m being realistic and I make judgements based on the games that I’ve seen. I watched the Leeds vs Brentford game yesteday and the standard was far higher. We’ve been outplayed by Wigan, Brentford, Leeds, Forest and stoke in large parts this year. I’d only consider that we’ve played well against Millwall, Villa, Reading and WBA. We’ve done ok against Hull, Ipswich and Bristol city today. 

So...what you are saying is we haven't played all that well, but find ourselves in 6th. 

Terrible that. 

• Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

So...what you are saying is we haven't played all that well, but find ourselves in 6th. 

Terrible that. 

We haven’t. I’ve seen all the games. One positive I will say is that if you find yourselves 6th after not playing particularly well, it does bode well for the season.

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

You look at any of the top six, oh and by the way we are one of them, and you will find very similar issues even at the all conquering Blades. This is the Championship not the Premiership. You should stop watching the Prem on your tele and you will actually get real about Championship teams.

9 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Yet weve only lost 3 all season.  Ill take getting outplayed in parts of the game if at 90 mins we can get somink out of it.

its the nature of this league.

53 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Good result lads. 3 points. Up to 6th. Shocking start again but the result counts.

How was it a shocking start?.

Did we concede a goal?

Did we look as if we were going to concede a goal?.

Just how was it a shocking start?.

13 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

W were outplayed against Wigan & Brentford - got what we deserved. We came back well against Stoke and deserved a point in the end. Forest didn't outplay us but we were poor and deserved to lose. We got a fortunate point against Leeds in my opinion but deserved more from the West Brom and Hull games so are 3 points down on what we should have in terms of what performances for deserved - and are in 6th place - on merit.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

Did we concede a goal?

You don't have to look like conceding for it to be dire as they weren't much better. We could string 1 pass together never mind 2 for the majority of the first half-hour. Deserved to win in the end though.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

You don't have to look like conceding for it to be dire as they weren't much better. We could string 1 pass together never mind 2 for the majority of the first half-hour. Deserved to win in the end though.

Grow up.

Results are what matter, not performances, at our level.

6 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Yet weve only lost 3 all season.  Ill take getting outplayed in parts of the game if at 90 mins we can get somink out of it.

its the nature of this league.

Absolutely. West Brom are the only team hammering anyone with any sort of regularity and I expect them to win the league. The rest of the top 6 is anyone's guess at the moment.

Leeds look good now but don't have great depth and could tire, Middlesbrough will grind out results but will struggle if they concede first, anyone in this league can beat anyone else.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Grow up.

Results are what matter, not performances, at our level.

I've highlighted the bit of my post you have seemingly failed to understand! 

Not sure why I need to grow up?

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Did we concede a goal?

Point 1 - we were awful for the first 30 mins

Point 2 - no

Point 3 - yes

Point 4 - see above

Enjoy the ride. It’s a poor league this year Leeds and WBA were average let’s be honest. Jos needs to realise this and stop inviting teams onto us. We could have been too far behind to come back in the first half due to sitting back. Much as I like Thornily he was just an un-necessary extra defender against a poor team today. 

• Thanks 1