Dawson

Just now, Bluesteel said:

If it works effectively then great, but if it doesn’t, as it isn’t at the moment it causes problems. 

If a keeper can catch it, it eases so much pressure and a punch is only necessary if they are worried about being able to do that. Even Hector today was asking for a catch on some of the more routine ones.

Hector or Weaver.....if you are Dawson who's advice are you going to take?

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Weaver was capable of both to be fair. 

Under the circumstances if I was looking to improve I’d take everything on board from both a coach and the senior defenders around me and work at both.  

2 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Bloody disgraceful topic!

If you don't like him or can't wait for a mistake you have my reassurance that I will encourage whoever you pick when you're manager.

He did nothing wrong today only beaten by a penalty and as I have pointed out he made the first goal..

He is a good young lad,, who has a long future in the game..

• Thanks 1

I don't care who's in goal as all 3 are good keepers , dawson came in back end of last season and got the shirt and as done nothing  that says he should lose it ...when he starts making howlers and costing us games then is the time to start thinking about giving one of the other 2 a run but until that happens we should forget who's our personal favourite and back him to the hilt . 

• Like 1

He will mature with more games his shot stopping is already fantastic. Feel Andy Rhodes is a big loss to our coaching setup both youngsters developed hugely to the point where Wildsmith was with England U21, not sure if they will carry on the same upward trajectory without him. Dawson will make a top keeper with a couple of seasons under his belt. 

2 minutes ago, swfcjack27 said:

He will mature with more games his shot stopping is already fantastic. Feel Andy Rhodes is a big loss to our coaching setup both youngsters developed hugely to the point where Wildsmith was with England U21, not sure if they will carry on the same upward trajectory without him. Dawson will make a top keeper with a couple of seasons under his belt. 

They developed under Nicky Weaver

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RuncornOwl94 said:

No mention of his save to stop us being 1-0 down obviously, Westwood isn't coming back so just leave it and back him. Maybe he doesn't look confident cause every time he comes out he's got thousands of blokes just waiting to make him the scapegoat behind him.

Handling that pressure is the difference between top players and average journeyman players. 

46 minutes ago, Ian said:

If its on the training ground then Weaver

If its the heat of a game then he has to make his own decision and it will be reviewed after with the GK coach

One thing I will say on Dawson.

He's clearly under instructions to play it short. But the amount of times the defenders lose possession and he ends up having to spring into action from his own goal kick or ball out is ridiculous. If I was Dawson I'd say to Jos I'm booting it long until I have some defenders in front of me who are comfortable at playing the ball out of defence.

It's not fair on Dawson as he is ultimately in the spotlight. 

At the back end of last season, when Westwood was out injured, the majority of our fans where saying that it would be unfair if Westwood walked straight back into the side. The young keepers had done nothing wrong and it would knock their confidence if they were suddenly dropped when Westwood came back.

The majority of fans all agreed that Westwood should have to fight for his place, and rightly so.

We have lost one game in 9 is it? And instead of backing a young, progressive goalkeeper, our fans can’t wait to knock his confidence and hinder the progression of the team and ‘one of our own’.

Our fans will never learn

Its a modern thing int it, punch everything. 

I understand its about the modern balls. but for me it depends how the ball is struck and its the keepers job to judge that.

yeah the ball can move about like crazy with these power shots with the laces, but when a cross is put in with the normal curl on the ball it is just as easy to catch as a ball from any other era. 

I dont agree that Dawson has been flappy all season, I actually think hes been great. but since Leeds game its fair to say he has looked less confident. no real surprise when you look at the hammer hes took online ever since that game.

He'll get through it though. too good a keeper not to. penalties and worldies are the only thing thats stopped him having a few clean sheets by now.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

One thing I will say on Dawson.

He's clearly under instructions to play it short. But the amount of times the defenders lose possession and he ends up having to spring into action from his own goal kick or ball out is ridiculous. If I was Dawson I'd say to Jos I'm booting it long until I have some defenders in front of me who are comfortable at playing the ball out of defence.

It's not fair on Dawson as he is ultimately in the spotlight. 

I think if he said that to jos he wouldn't be playing in the next match 

4 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Its a modern thing int it, punch everything. 

I understand its about the modern balls. but for me it depends how the ball is struck and its the keepers job to judge that.

yeah the ball can move about like crazy with these power shots with the laces, but when a cross is put in with the normal curl on the ball it is just as easy to catch as a ball from any other era. 

I dont agree that Dawson has been flappy all season, I actually think hes been great. but since Leeds game its fair to say he has looked less confident. no real surprise when you look at the hammer hes took online ever since that game.

He'll get through it though. too good a keeper not to. penalties and worldies are the only thing thats stopped him having a few clean sheets by now.

Jos has clearly told him to play it out ftom the back... problem is, it doesn’t help when he plays it to experienced players like Lees and he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights and plays it straight back.

it also doesn’t help that when he’s playing it from the back the crowd are moaning and jeering. How counter productive.

im sorry but the only thing ‘flapping’ is our own ‘supporters’ in the stands 

I continue to be staggered by these threads. 

Westwood clearly has an issue with the club (or vise versa) and won't play for us again. END OF.

Wildsmith has made numerous MISTAKES WHICH HAVE LEAD TO GOALS AND DEFEATS yet people want him in the team and claim him to be the better keeper.

Dawson has lost us no points in his entire SWFC career so far yet people want him dropped.

Most fans are hypocrites, they want player picked on form not reputation yes this thread veers towards picking a player that last had a really good game in the 2016/17 season.

Mind you if Westwood did come straight back in and start dropping bo11ocks left right and centre we can all moan at Jos for picking a player that last played really well 2 season ago.

We saw with Loovens that age catches up with players and the Loovens last season was a liabilty. This is not to say Westwood wouldn't come back and perform but is it worth the risk? He could always ask to play in the U23's to prove his worth. Maybe he already has and if he has then his time playing for us has come to an end.

If that is the cae then any discussion is pointless. So we may as well go with what we have.

Everybody is still missing the point that Dawson is our number one because he is our quickest keeper and the one best with his feet.

He is a sweeper keeper as thats how Jos wants us to play. 

So unless Westwood and Wildsmith work on their speed and footwork then Dawson will continue to be our number one whether he makes any mistakes or not.

Dear Cameron,

I support you.

If you do read owlstalk then a piece of advice - stop it right now.

Best wishes for your future with Wednesday.

Cheers mate

P.S.  Thanks for the 1 on 1 save today as it meant we would have been 1 down.

• Like 1