Dawson

5 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Commanding his area should be basic stuff , surely this will get sorted on the training ground , sooner rather than later !! 

Yes, a 23 year old keeper in his first full season, faced with mounting fan criticism and with an ever changing back 4 / 5 in front of him, often made up of 1 / 2 youngsters also playing their first full season, should absolutely be commanding his area every game. Righty ho. 

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Don’t always agree with your posts but this is one of the best made recently on any topic . Dawson is slagged off because he’s taken st Westwood’s position. Good a goalkeeper as he was , he was as you say no de gea. Can you imagine if Dawson puts in a performance like westwood did against United last season? This board  will go into meltdown 

This performance seems to have been conveniently forgotten on here . 

Just now, David1867 said:

This performance seems to have been conveniently forgotten on here . 

Up there with anything brad jones and Chris adamsom churned out. It’s not a slant on westwood , he was god for us but he was a championship keeper for a reason . If Dawson plays against United like westwood did he’d be anylhated 

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

Up there with anything brad jones and Chris adamsom churned out. It’s not a slant on westwood , he was god for us but he was a championship keeper for a reason . If Dawson plays against United like westwood did he’d be anylhated 

Couldn't agree more mate. 

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

I think everyone forgets how poor Westwood was against the pigs at home. 

He was terrible that day, injured or not.

I get the opposite impression and people seem to have forgotten how good a keeper he is, people are to quick to write him off for whatever reason.

I get that people feel the need to back whoever is our number one but the stick Westwood has received is nothing short of scandalous. 

To hear some fans talk you'd think we'd just replaced Ola Tidman.

7 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I get the opposite impression and people seem to have forgotten how good a keeper he is, people are to quick to write him off for whatever reason.

I get that people feel the need to back whoever is our number one but the stick Westwood has received is nothing short of scandalous. 

To hear some fans talk you'd think we'd just replaced Ola Tidman.

This is utter nonsense. 

You have continually called for Dawson to be dropped, long before a ball had been barely kicked.

All this *stick* directed at Westwood? Where exactly? The vast, vast majority of people are nothing but full of praise for how good of a servant he has been.

For whatever reason, Westwood is no longer number one, so people are sticking up for the youngster who has come in for him and is receiving over the top criticism from people like you. 

We win tonight and all you can do is criticise Dawson, blatantly ignoring the excellent one on one save he made in the first half. 

Edited by SiJ

I think there’s two ways of looking at it.

you can either (rightly) say he doesn’t command his area well and is suspect with crosses, concluding that he perhaps isn’t ready for the first team.

or you can acknowledge he is a youngster learning more and more every game, and be patient with him as he develops. 

for me personally, I think we should be playing Westwood with Wildsmith as backup and Dawson on loan, but I will support the lad and am sure he will improve with more games.

• Like 1

Still young and still learning , thing about keepers is they get noticed for every mistake because its in our danger area , outfield players are not so much under the spotlight when they make a mistake as they could be anywhere on the pitch . 

i praise Cameron for coming for the balls punching catching etc , never saw Wildsmith do that at all , content to stay on his line .

Cammy is a big unit and his decision making will get better so all good .

Embarrassing OP. 

We need to get behind Cam and give him the support he deserves rather than constantly criticising him. 

He is our number 1. Westwood will not play for us again, whether you like it or not and whether you believe the explanation or not. 

We have two excellent young keepers who have been coached by Andy Rhodes, world with Westwood and Kirkland, and involved with England at youth level. 

Jos made Dawson his number 1 ahead of the season and that is that. 

I first saw him aged 16 and am thoroughly confident that he will have a very good career as a professional footballer. 

He is a terrific shot stopper, good distribution (improved no end) very vocal and noted for his ability at set pieces. 

Why is he 'flapping'? Because he is a young keeper (23 years old is the equivalent of an 18 year old outfield) with less than a dozen Championship games under his belt. Goalkeeping at the highest level is all about confidence and experience - he has very little of the latter and won't get any of the former either if fans are bemoaning him at every opportunity. 

What do you do when you don't have experience or confidence? Do the basics. Punch the ball rather than attempt a risky catch. Stay on your line rather than come out. It will change. 

Get behind him. Forget about Westwood. Don't moan and groan when he plays out from the back. Don't comment on club social media saying he's poo. He's one of our own and will improve with every game he plays. 

He makes mistakes, and will make more in the future - but who doesn't? 

Experience will come with time. Confidence will only come if he has our support. It's crucial. 

PS - Dawson has faced more shots than any other Championship keeper this season, yet we are 6th in the table. 

Edited by KivoOwl
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

This is utter nonsense. 

You have continually called for Dawson to be dropped, long before a ball had been barely kicked.

All this *stick* directed at Westwood? Where exactly? The vast, vast majority of people are nothing but full of praise for how good of a servant he has been.

For whatever reason, Westwood is no longer number one, so people are sticking up for the youngster who has come in for him and is receiving over the top criticism from people like you. 

We win tonight and all you can do is criticise Dawson, blatantly ignoring the excellent one on one save he made in the first half. 

Where have I criticised him, have I not said he is an good keeper and one for the future, have I not said his shot stopping is his main attribute and is as good as anyone. Yes his all round game needs working on and that's there for all to see.

Is he as good as Westwood, I firmly believe not and while Westwood is at our club he should be playing. 

The only scenario where I can understand Westwood been frozen out is if he has broken the clubs disciplinary rules and the club have acted on that, anything else doesn't add up.

3 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Where have I criticised him, have I not said he is an good keeper and one for the future, have I not said his shot stopping is his main attribute and is as good as anyone. Yes his all round game needs working on and that's there for all to see.

Is he as good as Westwood, I firmly believe not and while Westwood is at our club he should be playing. 

The only scenario where I can understand Westwood been frozen out is if he has broken the clubs disciplinary rules and the club have acted on that, anything else doesn't add up.

So have a bit of faith in your own powers of deduction

42 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Most people are just concerned he is coming to punch the ball a lot and putting us in danger. Westwood isn’t even mentioned as a reason why that’s happeneing!

Perhaps he's coming to punch the ball rather than catching it because that's exactly what he is being coached and told to do....in fact I know for a fact that this is the case. I have spoke first hand to a couple of ex pro keepers about exactly that and both have told me the same thing....with the ball's these days coming for a catch carries a higher risk of making a mistake than punching it, therefore if in any doubt at all punch it....add to that that, especially from set pieces, attacking teams are very adept at stopping keepers getting anywhere near where they want to be, then stopping on the line and trying to save any subsequent header / shot is often seen as a better option than coming for the ball at all

Edited by Ian

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Perhaps he's coming to punch the ball rather than catching it because that's exactly what he is being coached and told to do....in fact I know for a fact that this is the case. I have spoke first hand to a couple of ex pro keepers about exactly that and both have told me the same thing....with the ball's these days coming for a catch carries a higher risk of making a mistake than punching it, therefore if in any doubt at all punch it....add to that that, especially from set pieces, attacking teams are very adept at stopping keepers getting anywhere near where they want to be, then stopping on the line and trying to save any subsequent header / shot is often seen as a better option than coming for the ball at all

If it works effectively then great, but if it doesn’t, as it isn’t at the moment it causes problems. 

If a keeper can catch it, it eases so much pressure and a punch is only necessary if they are worried about being able to do that. Even Hector today was asking for a catch on some of the more routine ones.