The elephant in the room

I really only care what we do, they really are just another team to me. Easy for me to say. Im not a Sheffield native. 

However, what utd do, shouldn't ever be allowed to influence our results. People losing there shiz over them, being top creates a vacuum of negativity. Thats the kicker. 

Worry about Wednesday, screw worrying about every other teams results, should be our mentality. 

One thing for certain, it will come crashing down for them at some point. Football is like that. 

Edited by Maddogbob

4 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I think what United have achieved is it be applauded and further evidence that throwing money around is not the answer.  Would love to see us above them come May, but no way do I feel bitter about their recent success - should just motivate everyone at Hillsborough to up their game.

I agree with the sentiment, but I feel bitter about their success

lol

I understand this focus on United.  I'm a Blade and I ALWAYS look at Wednesday's result first after United's.  We are revivals.  We argue about who are the top team in Sheffield: Sometimes it's Wednesday, sometimes it's United.  It's not a nice thing to admit, but we always want the other Sheffield team to lose - with possible exceptions like when they're playing Leeds ('cus no real Sheffielder wishes Leeds FC anything other than relegation & bankruptcy).

I've supported United since the 1970s.  When I started going to the Lane then we were in a golden period.  Tony Currie and all that.  Wednesday have had your periods of glory since.  We can argue till the 'cows come home' about who has been the biggest team over the last few decades.  I will certainly concede our LONG period in League One was very dispiriting, whilst you got to the Championship sooner.  When you got promoted out of League One first at our expense that was an EXTREMELY painful moment; not just to miss out on promotion, but to miss out to Wednesday.  I'm sure you'll get that.

These folk on Owlstalk (or S24SU) who say they are above looking at 'the pigs' (whoever they are!) I think are a bit unusual.  Supporting a team means wanting our rivals to lose.  This is not Disney.  We don't all win.  I want United to win & get promoted.  I also want you to lose.

Finally I'd add that those so-called supporters (or either team) who think violence is a natural part of football are dinosaurs.  I don't want a single Wednesday supporter physically hurt.  But relegated?  Sure!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Agree with most of this thread, its sickening to see them doing so well with much less resources compared to us. This definitely increases our expectations and makes us less tolerant to our own shortcomings. 

But, its still early in the season and they haven't achieved anything yet - they were in a similar position last year and fell away.

We just need to focus on getting our own house in order.

5 minutes ago, Right-footer said:

I understand this focus on United.  I'm a Blade and I ALWAYS look at Wednesday's result first after United's.  We are revivals.  We argue about who are the top team in Sheffield: Sometimes it's Wednesday, sometimes it's United.  It's not a nice thing to admit, but we always want the other Sheffield team to lose - with possible exceptions like when they're playing Leeds ('cus no real Sheffielder wishes Leeds FC anything other than relegation & bankruptcy).

I've supported United since the 1970s.  When I started going to the Lane then we were in a golden period.  Tony Currie and all that.  Wednesday have had your periods of glory since.  We can argue till the 'cows come home' about who has been the biggest team over the last few decades.  I will certainly concede our LONG period in League One was very dispiriting, whilst you got to the Championship sooner.  When you got promoted out of League One first at our expense that was an EXTREMELY painful moment; not just to miss out on promotion, but to miss out to Wednesday.  I'm sure you'll get that.

These folk on Owlstalk (or S24SU) who say they are above looking at 'the pigs' (whoever they are!) I think are a bit unusual.  Supporting a team means wanting our rivals to lose.  This is not Disney.  We don't all win.  I want United to win & get promoted.  I also want you to lose.

Finally I'd add that those so-called supporters (or either team) who think violence is a natural part of football are dinosaurs.  I don't want a single Wednesday supporter physically hurt.  But relegated?  Sure!

Can't say it ever crossed my mind,:sleep:

just another also ran.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Steve Bruce and Moore might disagree with you...

Fwiw it's good to keep your feet on the ground but you go too far the other way at times.

In what regards ? I’m probably jos biggest fan and rate the likes of joey , cringing at the amount of slagging off he gets . I’m more content than most with where we are right now 

i just can’t stand delusion . Constant harping on about players like Hutchinson and hooper who are just draining our resources . Im just waiting until the day we can clear them all out and start rebuilding 

19 minutes ago, Right-footer said:

One things for certain you won't "revival" the 70's ...

You won't get anywhere near as good as that team ...

Good point you make though... 

But not correct in so much as I would like United to finish second this season, and Wednesday as champions 

Always in our shadow ...........

Just like at Wembley ........

6 minutes ago, james o connor said:

In what regards ? I’m probably jos biggest fan and rate the likes of joey , cringing at the amount of slagging off he gets . I’m more content than most with where we are right now 

i just can’t stand delusion . Constant harping on about players like Hutchinson and hooper who are just draining our resources . Im just waiting until the day we can clear them all out and start rebuilding 

Fair enough.. but thinking we can be playoff contenders isn't deluded.

It's still early days and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

The “who’s the biggest” “debate” is always painful given the ignoring of key high level facts such as:

- who is the oldest/longest established - Wednesday 

- who has had more seasons in the premier league- Wednesday 

- who would have the most recognisable names in an all time XI - Wednesday 

- who has most recently won a trophy - Wednesday 

- who has most recently been in Europe - Wednesday 

- who has won more trophies - Wednesday

I hear a lot about who has been in the premier league most recently but by that token Blackpool would be bigger than Leeds! I hear about the semi finals under Warnock...what about the two actual othe finals in 1993 for Wednesday.

Anyway, I don’t think there is a debate to be had on it and any blades fan being honest about it should be able to deal with it. But it leads on to a wider point about how parochial it has become since Wednesday left the top flight. We have both been left behind relatively speaking and it intensifies the focus on each other. For most of the premier league years the blades were an afterthought and the season we nearly went up under CC it helped being in a separate division.

Unfortunatley for us, Wilder is an exceptional manager who can get a team performing well above their level and the sum of their parts. They have been relentless recently and it takes quite a bit to knock them off their stride. I’m not really looking forward to a derby at Bramall Lane given their current form and our defence but if we could pull off a result there I do think it could affect the season of both clubs. 

Edited by Bluesteel

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Any side in this division looking for a new boss who isn't looking at Wilder must be mental 

He hasn't put a foot wrong as a Manager with each and every club he's been at 

To me it makes no difference what club he's at but with United he's been sensational, i'd rather he stayed with them because if any Manager is going to get Villa going it would be Wilder, let them have a punt on someone like Henry and carry on being being car crash rather than having Wilder sort them out for a promotion push

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, shandypants said:

I think that the vast majority feel more frustrated and disgruntled after a poor performance, poor result or “smash and grab” against us (ala WBA) because the pigs have been (it pains me to say) outperforming us for the last couple of seasons. I honestly believe that we’d be a lot more forgiving of Jos and the players if Sheffield United we’re placed firmly below us in the league. I also believe that we’re less patient because of this fact and we ‘kick off’ more quickly. 

People may disagree but it honestly think that this is the case. 

Let’s try to consider the bigger picture whatever the result of our games. 

I disagree, my only concern is how the Owls are performing. I'll only be pee'd  off at the end of the season if they go up. On a week to week basis it doesn't concern me that they are out performing us.