The elephant in the room

I think that the vast majority feel more frustrated and disgruntled after a poor performance, poor result or “smash and grab” against us (ala WBA) because the pigs have been (it pains me to say) outperforming us for the last couple of seasons. I honestly believe that we’d be a lot more forgiving of Jos and the players if Sheffield United we’re placed firmly below us in the league. I also believe that we’re less patient because of this fact and we ‘kick off’ more quickly. 

People may disagree but it honestly think that this is the case. 

Let’s try to consider the bigger picture whatever the result of our games. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just had a look and wish we had the run of opponents  they've  had and may be the table would be the other way round. I accept can only beat what's in front of you, but to potentially end the weekend in to top 6 considering the teams we've played recently, would be a terrific achievement.

Generally though apart from build up to Derby day don't really pay much attention to them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I think that the vast majority feel more frustrated and disgruntled after a poor performance, poor result or “smash and grab” against us (ala WBA) because the pigs have been (it pains me to say) outperforming us for the last couple of seasons. I honestly believe that we’d be a lot more forgiving of Jos and the players if Sheffield United we’re placed firmly below us in the league. I also believe that we’re less patient because of this fact and we ‘kick off’ more quickly. 

It's probably more about United doing it with cheap players and cheap ticket prices.

If they'd spent what we have then people would probably be much less irked.

I don't like it one bit that they are above us in the league, I can tolerate them when we are above them. It's the nature of the rivalry in this city. My heart sank when sky said there was a late goal at bramall lane as you know it would be them grabbing a late winner. 

However I have to grudgingly admit they are a better team than us at the moment, not better players but a more organised outfit. Wilder has the sum of their parts performing way better than the individuals at his disposal. Howard Wilkinson did similar with us in the past.

43 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Don't look at the League Table today, I fear anything less than a win will lead to another melt down.

Dem Pigs have at least proved a point, that if you put the effort in and you believe in what you are doing, any thing is possible.

If the last two games have proved anything it shows we can go toe to toe with automatic promotion challenges

49 minutes ago, shandypants said:

what exactly IS the bigger picture?, the pigs have and are outperforming us having spent vastly less? with a balanced side? and a heavy handed forward line? in fact only the 'heavy handed forward line' away from what stuart gray left us with, IF ONLY.

35 minutes ago, Highbury Owl said:

millwall, preston, brum, hull, blackburn.

fair enuf you can only beat what"s in front of you but there will be harder games coming up for them

didn't we manage to hold hull at home?

blackburn hadn't been beaten in how many at home before the pig visit?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, james o connor said:

No it’s because too many of our fan base are deluded in thinking we are promotion candidates and the Lee and hooper and Hutchinson are going to miraculously recover and fire us up the league 

Steve Bruce and Moore might disagree with you...

Fwiw it's good to keep your feet on the ground but you go too far the other way at times.

40 minutes ago, NYowl said:

I don't like it one bit that they are above us in the league, I can tolerate them when we are above them. It's the nature of the rivalry in this city. My heart sank when sky said there was a late goal at bramall lane as you know it would be them grabbing a late winner. 

However I have to grudgingly admit they are a better team than us at the moment, not better players but a more organised outfit. Wilder has the sum of their parts performing way better than the individuals at his disposal. Howard Wilkinson did similar with us in the past.

too true, as with manure in their pomp, the pigs play for 90++ for wilder, whilst we concede in 80+, spirit, heart, desire, battling, and a goal or two in the side will get you a hell of a long way, whilst spending a fortune buying players at the top of their career, buying numerous people for the one role your manager has in his head, only leads to one place 3/4 years down the line.

we need to gather enough points before Christmas so we can sell our assets in the next window, to allow jos to rebuild in the stuart gray style of 'using your head' management, as opposed to pisspotical dreamer with open cheque book (for a while).

• Haha 1