#OnThisDay in 1977

#OnThisDay in 1977 after he steadied a sinking ship - #SWFC sacked manager Len Ashurst - memorable days for many reasons, some great signings - Tynan, Johnson, Leman &  Hornsby notable. A debut for Chris Turner  an unforgettable night in April '76 vs Southend, Tony Toms & Sheep!

BWmpfcQCYAAZU8H.jpg.e050da272f260ac3405ac744a0a0d8a5.jpgSheep!.jpeg.eab9c0dea3cc428585baeea7060c464e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

he took on a nigh on impossible job taking over from the shambles burtenshaw left and made a good fist of it …..brought in some decent players like tynan,bradshaw O'Donnell.walden,johnson,leman rushbry, for next to nowt and promoted youngsters like turner,wylde ….was a good manager but sadly for him one bad run of results did for him .

• Like 1

Didn’t he famously say that as a club we needed to realise that the only difference between us and Hartlepool was that the stand roof didn’t leak.

Brought a no nonsense approach that dragged us out of the mire, brought some decent players in and gave big Jack at least something to work with.

He was the start of the revival and I think we owe him a massive debt 

Four or five games after Jack Charlton took over from him most but not all of that team were never seen again. Although Steve Burkenshaw, 19.1% win rate, was dreadful, the honour or should I say shame of being the absolute worst falls to Peter Eustace with just 11.11% win rate during his 18 gam tenure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Four or five games after Jack Charlton took over from him most but not all of that team were never seen again. Although Steve Burkenshaw, 19.1% win rate, was dreadful, the honour or should I say shame of being the absolute worst falls to Peter Eustace with just 11.11% win rate during his 18 gam tenure.

God

the football under Eustace tho!

1 hour ago, dunsbyowl said:

#OnThisDay in 1977 after he steadied a sinking ship - #SWFC sacked manager Len Ashurst - memorable days for many reasons, some great signings - Tynan, Johnson, Leman &  Hornsby notable. A debut for Chris Turner  an unforgettable night in April '76 vs Southend, Tony Toms & Sheep!

BWmpfcQCYAAZU8H.jpg.e050da272f260ac3405ac744a0a0d8a5.jpgSheep!.jpeg.eab9c0dea3cc428585baeea7060c464e.jpeg

Never forget that night game Vs Southend.

We invaded the pitch and jumped around like we were world champions..

I got some turf and thought I'd found gold!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dunsbyowl said:

I actually cut that joke out of the Star and had it on my bedroom wall for years! Even as a stroppy teenager I accepted the self deprecation of being an owl lol

2 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Picture shows R to L Tony Toms,

Len, Ron Staniforth and who’s the other guy?

Len Ashurst was the Wednesday manager on the last occasion that I missed attending an Owls home League or FA Cup game.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................still attending every game with hope and expectation.

• Like 2

Ashurst did the best he could considering the absolute mess he inherited from Burtenshaw.Ashurst steadied the ship .

What I'd give for another Tony Toms.  

Edited by S36 OWL

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Ashurst did the best he could considering the absolute mess he inherited from Burtenshaw.Ashurdt steadied the ship .

What is give for another Tony Toms.  

Don't care how hard you think you are -you wouldn't wanna mess with him