Bottom of the pile

Much has been made of our young talent coming through, and rightly so, but as a poster pointed out in another thread, most of those promoted are not ready As if to emphasise this, our current U23’s are languishing at the bottom of the table. While results at that level are perhaps not so important, I do believe that the youngsters need to prove themselves at that level. Plenty of plaudits on here for the way Jos has brought young players through, but it is about timing. Yes Penney and Thornley look the part, but perhaps the coach has introduced the others too soon. Anyone can fill the side with youth players, but they have to be worthy of a starting place

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Much has been made of our young talent coming through, and rightly so, but as a poster pointed out in another thread, most of those promoted are not ready As if to emphasise this, our current U23’s are languishing at the bottom of the table. While results at that level are perhaps not so important, I do believe that the youngsters need to prove themselves at that level. Plenty of plaudits on here for the way Jos has brought young players through, but it is about timing. Yes Penney and Thornley look the part, but perhaps the coach has introduced the others too soon. Anyone can fill the side with youth players, but they have to be worthy of a starting place

Only one way to find out if they are ready though, some will shine some wont, suppose its a thin line and part of jos job to make the choice

Haven't our under 23's been top two in the league the last couple of seasons? or am I thinking of the under 18s?

Would think their current position could be due to the better players being in the senior squad instead of u23 match teams and us playing younger players in there instead of Jones and Abdi etc

The usual process at other clubs is youth football then loans to either conference league 1&2 then a route into the first team.

We have been very bad when letter players go out on loan and in recent years only Thorniley and Clare where given first team chances on loan and we see what happened there one is now in the team and the other would have been in the team had he signed a contract.

Chelsea have over 40 players out on loan this season, they have a team managing them but they penalise teams if their players do not get first team chances. We need to loan out the likes of Stobbs, Neilson, Ogrady, Kirkby, Baker to play regular at league 1 or 2 level get games under their belt and they will improve but currently we can't because we have so many squad players either unfit or not allowed to play.

Edited by room0035

I will also add not to bet on our U23 games for the reasons Torry mentions above i.e. you’ve no idea who will be playing, if the game is to be used as a test bed or not.

Let my coupon down twice this season. The only occasions I bet on our U23s. Won’t be doing that again.

Edited by theowlsman

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

.... most of those promoted are not ready As if to emphasise this, our current U23’s are languishing at the bottom of the table. While results at that level are perhaps not so important, I do believe that the youngsters need to prove themselves at that level....

But weren't the U23 players currently being used in the 1st team also part of the U23 team that won their league in 2016 and came 2nd in 2017, thus 'proving' their readiness, albeit still needing some 1st team games to adjust.

And couldn't the current position of the U23 team be due to it having been stripped of its best assets to support the 1st team?

I would imagine that would be a cyclical behaviour unless we have suitably talented U18's ready to step up. 

Barring the decision to bring on Kirby on Wednesday night, I would say in the majority of performances from the promoted U23's they've acquitted themselves well, and continue to gain valuable 1st team experience.

Edited by Ginner
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Maxine said:

it's good that Jos is giving the young lads a go but a team needs experience too (ie Westwood)  

how much experience do you want? , palmer ,lees,bannan, FF,nuhiu, hector,reach,pudil,fletcher are all well established players at this level …..it's been a breath of fresh air not to have watched the aging less than fit  one paced crocks that we endured towards the end of Carlos's tenure .  

• Like 1

Guest Maxine
Just now, torryowl said:

how much experience do you want? , palmer ,lees,bannan, FF,nuhiu, hector,reach,pudil,fletcher are all well established players at this level …..it's been a breath of fresh air not to have watched the aging less than fit  one paced crocks that we endured towards the end of Carlos's tenure .  

A mix of both.

3 minutes ago, Maxine said:

A mix of both.

.those I mentioned and the younger ones like dawson ,wildsmith, baker ,,penney , joey, joao,preston,thorniley all of an age where there best is still to come …..I think we have a very good mix 

I don't mind what Jos is doing, if we don't have a look at them in a first team environment, difficult to assess whether they are ready or not. Some clearly aren't but will benefit from the experience.

Surprised Preston hasn't featured a bit more, thought he looked promising and had a decent game as I recall.

Most could do with some League 1/2 experience to be honest. Baker, Kirby and Preston to name a few, what about Borukov? Whats happened to him?

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

There is playing experience there but what is required leadership experience.we don’t have anyone who will give the necessary leadership and advice to the youngsters during the game

2 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Haven't our under 23's been top two in the league the last couple of seasons? or am I thinking of the under 18s?

Would think their current position could be due to the better players being in the senior squad instead of u23 match teams and us playing younger players in there instead of Jones and Abdi etc

My thoughts exactly when reading the OP. It's not really rocket science, is it? :luhukay:

4 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Not as simple as that, yes they were successful under Carlos, but the likes of Penney, Thornley and Clare were out on loan. Hirst was frozen out, So it’s basically the same group of players who are struggling this time around

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Our u23s won their league and play-offs 2 years ago, then were 3rd (I think) last year.  They're suffering this year because all their best players are now in the first team squad!

Just not bothered...

5 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Our u23s won their league and play-offs 2 years ago, then were 3rd (I think) last year.  They're suffering this year because all their best players are now in the first team squad!

They all play though, that’s my point The ones who don’t, Dawson, Thornley and Penney, didn’t anyway, as they were out on loan.