I think Jos is doing a good job

I'd say he's doing a decent job by most standards. The situation we're in is something to be positive about. Just played two of the best sides in the division and were not outclassed or beaten. We are getting a few wins, scoring good goals and right there in the mix. Sure we have a leaky defence and some other issues, but very few sides are perfect. We all know we tend to be slow starters, so if we can keep in touch who knows what will happen at the business end of the season.

Far too many drama queens on this site that go overboard with wild statements after one bad result (or even 20 minutes into a single game) and fail to take the bigger picture into account. After Sunday we could be 6th or 16th. Let's just get behind Jos and the team.

Edited by Wisenightowl
Typo
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Jos has shown he is good enough. Just look at the form tables since all our injures cleared up. it is promotion form.

This season aswell played a lot better since Villa game with Hector in the team.

Westwood situation I think is to do with Dawson being better with his feet and movement.

The Boyd, Jones, Hutchinson situations seem similar to what Carlos would have done. Don't fit style so not in the squad.

But these are definitely better than the likes of Preston and Kirby.

Good luck getting some of the Negative Nigels on here to see sense on that one (i've tried). Seems like those 2 late goals on Wednesday night have caused all sorts of hand-wringing/dummy throwing...

Edited by Almat

1 minute ago, Almat said:

Good luck getting some of the Negative Nigels on here to see sense on that one (i've tried). Seems like those 2 late goals on Wednesday night have caused all sorts of hand-wringing...

Need to tighten up the defence. if he can some how do that then we are in with a real shot of the top 6.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Need to tighten up the defence. if he can some how do that then we are in with a real shot of the top 6.

I truly believe we've got (finally!) a proper manager who actually knows what he is doing so I'm more than happy to trust him to sort it out. On the evidence of his own signings so far (loans and purchase) he clearly knows what to look for in a player...Just imagine if he had the budget clueless had.....

Edited by Almat

3 minutes ago, Almat said:

I truly believe we've got (finally!) a proper manager who actually knows what he is doing so I'm more than happy to trust him to sort it out. On the evidence of his own signings so far (loans and purchase) he clearly knows what to look for in a player...Just imagine if he had the budget clueless had.....

Does seem that all the players that may slow the team down play wise. Hutch, Boyd, Jones.

Westwood with his 2 minute goal kicks

lol

Have been overlooked for players with a lot more pace and energy about their play.

Bannan slows us down at times aswell believe it or not. But as he is so good and has the Workrate and energy of anyone in the side he has to play.

54 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

According to a guy who spoke to him. Picture of the two of them on Facebook together. Why would the guy lie unless he’s a pig??

Why would the physician in Barcelona post a picture of Sam outside his practice unless maybe he’s a wizard of photoshop oh and a pig too? 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Real Talent???  Penney looks great yes and I’ll like Thorniley but he’s just a run of the mill center half.  Where’s the rest?

Wildesmith, Dawson, Baker, Preston, Penny, Thorniley, there are others knocking on the door too

Try to keep up

• Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

id give him 6/10 but it would be nearer 8 if his subs or lack of them were done right , also think he is pushing lads who are nowhere near ready at the 1st team ie Kirby,lee,hunt these lads look like there in there last year of school ,lets not ruin them by pushing them too soon , dawson wildsmith,thorniley ,penney are defo ready ,neillson is ready physically   l o l what a unit he is but I think a year in league 1 is where he needed to go this season to learn his trade , the young boys needed another year with u23s before loaning them out next season , other clubs do this ,its the best way for them to progress.  its possible jos is been forced into blooding Kirby,lee,hunt etc too early as our financial predicament maybe so dire that when all of this list(westwood,fox,hutchinson,abdi,lee,jones,boyd,hooper and 1-2 others)  leaves in the summer taking there huge wages they wont be replaced and jos is hoping our u18s will take there places 

A few clean sheets wouldn't go amiss!!!!

We look like conceding in every game, our style of messing about with the ball in and around our own box puts our defence under too much pressure and concedes the opposition the ball far too frequently in dangerous positions. To continue with this kamikaze style will result in us continuing to leak goals and dropping points, this needs addressing asap.

Jos has had enough time to sort this  out.

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Does seem that all the players that may slow the team down play wise. Hutch, Boyd, Jones.

Westwood with his 2 minute goal kicks

lol

Have been overlooked for players with a lot more pace and energy about their play.

Bannan slows us down at times aswell believe it or not. But as he is so good and has the Workrate and energy of anyone in the side he has to play.

Should Westwood learn to lay on the ball for 2 minutes like Dawson continues to do?

6 hours ago, shandypants said:

i can understand why some people feel frustrated with Jos, especially after the West Brom game but I am quite happy to allow Jos to keep doing what he’s doing because we’re not that far away from being a really top side in this league in my opinion. 

Look at the facts: Jos has been dealt a bit of a crap hand but he’s playing it better than what it actually is. When Jos joined there were:

• Rumours of disruptive players and lack of discipline 
  • Revelations that some players were allowed to turn up for training when the wanted
  • An ageing overpaid first team
  • Other first team players languishing in the under 23s
  • An injury list as long as your arm
  • Very little money to spend
  • Supporter unrest

Jos then performs a minor miracle and saves us from relegation by:

• Signing Pelupessy to add steel to a lightweight midfield 
  • Reinstating and reinvigorating Nuhiu, Mattias, Palmer and Joao
  • Promoting Wildsmith and offering chances to Dawson
  • Introducing our “discarded” youth and under-23 players

Having done all that, he is then hamstrung at the start of this season due to: 

• George Hirst and Sean Claire leaving
  • An embargo on transfers and spending since April this year
  • Continuing injuries to some of our best players
  • A cloud over Forestieri due to his Mansfield “tackle” and allegations of a racist comment in the aftermath incident 
  • A lack of senior centre-halves
  • The Westwood thing whatever that is
  • Losing Jack Hunt

I honestly can’t see how people can criticise Jos.  He’s made a few mistakes but show me a manager that hasn’t.  We should be singing his name from the rooftops in my opinion because you can only conclude that he’s working a minor miracle if you really consider the situation he walked into and the things he has be dealt during his time here.  

Bloody hell lads and lasses, lets show some patience and understanding and a bit of support. I have seen nothing yet that indicates that Jos is a bad manager; on the contrary, he looks the real deal to me. 

Well he has certainly installed some fight and belief into what was a beaten set of players and that in itself is a massive plus, add the youngsters progress, winnal and Hooper hopefully nearing fitness, the two new loanees and maybe another signing or 2 in the next window and I reckon top six is achievable, oh and just remembered we performed admirably against w brom without bazza.

I think he is what we are as a team at the minute - slightly too inconsistent.

I'm not sure he knows his best team/formation/style as yet.

He has certainly had his hands tied in many aspects and overall has been a steady man in charge.

But I'm always left feeling that there is just that little bit extra missing  - both from him and the team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

‘ we want to see attacking football and why does Carlos always stick to his old favourites and never give the kids a chance’

’ NO WAIT THATS TOO MANY KIDS AND TOO ATTACKING JOS. 

Yes, seems like Jos can't win, can he? :duntmatter:

I actually like the fact he's not one of those Carlos types who rides into town and instigates a new manager bounce instantly only for it to be built on sand. He's more of a long-term operator in my book. Calm, doesn't shoot his mouth off and knows his stuff. Arrived 3 seasons too late, missed all the investment or we would be in the PL now....

Edited by Almat

5 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

A good post which is very well thought out and has some great arguments. However, anyone who drops our best goalkeeper and is too stubborn to put him back in when it is clearly not working should not be complimented for me. Added to this is players like Hutch who are totally fit (from the horses own mouth) and players like Boyd who is a decent pro overall not getting a look in. Nobody can tell me these players aren’t better than Connor Kirby, Jack Lee, Isaac Rice et al. It’s bad man management.

We would have won on Wednesday if either Hutch or even bloody Jones had come on instead of Kirby. As you say, Jos has got a hell of a lot right, which is why I’m really rooting for him to do well here. I just fear Jos’s own stubbornness will be his own downfall. I’m all for youth but sadly, except for Penney, Thorniley and maybe Preston and Baker, nobody else is anywhere near ready. Fact!

But we don't know what's happening behind the scenes to influence his choices...

doing a good job in very difficult circumstances …..not easy keeping clubs competitive in the championship with no real money to spend as i'm sure  paul hurst ,phil Parkinson,ian Holloway,gary munk, simon grayson will confirm . 

• Haha 1