One nil down every game before a ball gets kicked

Guest samowl

Penny is another one where I cant figure out where he should be playing. Bit like Bale was at left back, slight liability position wise but great once he gets over the half way line. The winger role that he played against Leeds also wasn't his position though. He may do a Kieren Lee swap to CM eventually. Very good on the ball but may have been forced into left back from a young age due to being left footed. 

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

penney as been good in the attacking sense but his defending needs working on ...he was missing for the 1st goal and it wasn't the first time it's happened ..

I think this is one area where we shouldn’t rotate There have been plenty of positive signs from both Palmer and Penney, and they can become a good full back pairing Yes, both can make the odd mistake, but I think we have to persist with them The alternatives, Baker and Fox, for various reasons, don’t offer as much.

On 04/10/2018 at 06:10, samowl said:

Cos our defence hasn't a clean sheet in em.

We are but it’s also fortunate it’s only 1! I think we are lucky not to concede more if I’m honest, we are far to easy to carve open. But that’s a team issue not just defence.

Not it sure how to fix it. Score more goals is ok by me this season. 

3 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

We are but it’s also fortunate it’s only 1! I think we are lucky not to concede more if I’m honest, we are far to easy to carve open. But that’s a team issue not just defence.

Not it sure how to fix it. Score more goals is ok by me this season. 

Yes, get on the front foot, and let our opponents worry about us. When we stand off sides, and invite them on to us, we generally concede. There are several reason’s for this, a goalkeeper who doesn’t yet have the experience to command his area, an ever changing back 4/5 and a lack of pressure on the ball further up the field

22 hours ago, Owls77 said:

That was not the issue last night and although we need to strengthen that area. Penney has been superb and Palmer has stepped up to the plate this season.

totally agree with that , good job too if palmer was the palmer of last season and penney hadn't kicked on then we would be in serious trouble , but far too many crosses are coming across I think that's partly to do with not having a natural left and right sided player in front of the fullbacks ,sometimes it maybe better to play 4411 depending who we are playing and who we have available , lees and hector are dreadful at bringing the ball out of defence until that improves we wont keep a clean sheet. 

Playing out from the back needs practice. One touch and move the ball is the way to go, all too often one of our number will take 2,3 or 4 touches. You simply can't get away with this if the opposites have a three up top playing a pressing game, this is what makes our back line look so obviously uncomfortable and .'. encourages the opposition to keep coming at us, creating increased tension. 

Jos has a role to play here though, if it's not working against a pressing front three then switch it off and in doing so don't dwell on the ball for an age. Play it forward quickly especially from the keeper.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

totally agree with that , good job too if palmer was the palmer of last season and penney hadn't kicked on then we would be in serious trouble , but far too many crosses are coming across I think that's partly to do with not having a natural left and right sided player in front of the fullbacks ,sometimes it maybe better to play 4411 depending who we are playing and who we have available , lees and hector are dreadful at bringing the ball out of defence until that improves we wont keep a clean sheet. 

Didn't think Hector was too bad bringing the ball out on Wednesday night although his accuracy with passes needs to improve.

Agree about Lees though, two or three times he had yards of space in front of him and wouldn't go forward just hesitated until he was closed down. Then it was either a rushed sideways pass or back to Dawson.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, get on the front foot, and let our opponents wo

I agree rry about us. When we stand off sides, and invite them on to us, we generally concede. There are several reason’s for this, a goalkeeper who doesn’t yet have the experience to command his area, an ever changing back 4/5 and a lack of pressure on the ball further up the field

Agree in the main.

But the West Brom goals...

The first comes from our keeper going long instead of rolling it out  and us not having the presence up front to hold it. 

The second is our high pressure attack breaking down and leaving us with 5 men the wrong side of the ball.

5 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Didn't think Hector was too bad bringing the ball out on Wednesday night although his accuracy with passes needs to improve.

Agree about Lees though, two or three times he had yards of space in front of him and wouldn't go forward just hesitated until he was closed down. Then it was either a rushed sideways pass or back to Dawson.

seriously m8 he was dreadful(hector) bringing the ball out on weds don't know how you missed it ,at least 3-4 times he aimlessly gave the ball away ,he needs to do better for us to prosper with 3 centre halves . 

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Agree in the main.

But the West Brom goals...

The first comes from our keeper going long instead of rolling it out  and us not having the presence up front to hold it. 

The second is our high pressure attack breaking down and leaving us with 5 men the wrong side of the ball.

and the other five surrounding the man with the ball

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and the other five surrounding the man with the ball

There's one other thing with that second goal. 

I think in our disappointment there's been zero credit given to their lad.

Terrific driving run from a nothing ball and lovely footwork to engineer himself a shooting opportunity. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

There's one other thing with that second goal. 

I think in our disappointment there's been zero credit given to their lad.

Terrific driving run from a nothing ball and lovely footwork to engineer himself a shooting opportunity. 

Yep

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Being pedantic, we are also scoring lots of goals and not losing many games. So we aren’t starting one nil down , we are starting one all.

which is just the same as starting at nil nil like all other football games ever have.

Yes, that's a valid point - the only League game where we didn't score was Brentford away.

So if we can start keeping a few clean sheets, we should start motoring up the table. On the other hand if the goals scored starts to dry up, the opposite is likely !