Not a one man team

We can operate without Bannan, the first 80 minutes showed that.

That's the positive I can take out of this - Reach was outstanding for most of the match, and so were others.

Lessons must be learnt from tonight but a point is not the end of the season for us, and we can learn from this.  

I saw the writing on the wall when Onomah came off, however looking back, whenever we take off the defensive striker who has started we always struggle and concede.    Jos needs to learn and take heed on that too.

Bannan will come straight back in, and so he should - but I hope he saw this game and it gives him incentive to carry on his good form.

I'll get slated for this but I think we look a far more balanced team without Bannan.  His insistence on coming deep for the ball creates a massive gap in the middle of the park.  We pretty much played a diamond for a lot of the game with Fernando at the top and Reach and Onomah covering a lot of space.  It meant they had far less time on the ball and we were playing twenty yards further up the pitch.  If we can just get Banna to stop coming so deep he and the team as a whole would be more effective.  In my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Kraschenbern said:

I'll get slated for this but I think we look a far more balanced team without Bannan.  His insistence on coming deep for the ball creates a massive gap in the middle of the park.  We pretty much played a diamond for a lot of the game with Fernando at the top and Reach and Onomah covering a lot of space.  It meant they had far less time on the ball and we were playing twenty yards further up the pitch.  If we can just get Banna to stop coming so deep he and the team as a whole would be more effective.  In my opinion.

I agree, we were well in control for long periods, you could see west brom getting more and more frustrated..i thought one of these will be sent off any time soon.

Not to be.

At around 80 mins I thought what a good performance this is...if only we could cut out giving the ball away cheaply we have the makings of a good side.

Then of course Jos gave it away instead

Not slated at all - Bannan has the knack of dropping very deep and I don't know if it's because he's got into the habit of doing so because we are so crap at distribution or what.

He's done it as much this season as he has before for us, but he's done it better this season though and has managed those killer balls an awful lot more which have made a difference.

I hope that Onomah has given Jos a headache because we've got options now, and I still don't know where Reach's best position is, but I was very impressed with him for most of tonight.

This is the thing for me with Bannan, if he played at the top of a diamond, he could be incredible.  I think you're right about him dropping deep, he, and the rest of the squad act like he's the only one who can find a pass.  We have become an easy team to play when he is playing, cos you just push a midfielder onto him, and he spends a lot of time facing his own goal.  With Pellupussy in the side, he doesn't have to play the deep role.  And I think in some ways it may be stifling Joey too.  There is a good footballer in there.  And Dutch players are brought up on a short quick passing game.  There is no reason he can't get the ball and find Bannan, or anyone else.  He looked good tonight, cos we actually got to see him play a bit.  I think Reach needs to play wide in a front three.  I'd probably put him on the right and Fernando on the left.  I'd play with a back four too, so we can play a midfield three of Joey, Bannan and Onomah.

Edited by Kraschenbern

2 hours ago, Kraschenbern said:

You need to reinforce your crash helmet, but absolutely 100% agree.

• Haha 1

It was an outstanding team performance for 80 minutes, we bossed, we dominated, we were smarter, we had a great tactical gameplay, we were 2-0 up against one of the league's top teams, against players with masses of premier league experience. What came next was a reality check due to naivety and tired minds, lessons will be learned. I don't see any point assigning blame just learn the lessons and move on, praise the positives, of which there were many.

Edited by פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu