It was really odd last night.

Nando, Reach and even Nuhiu had beaten the sluggish Albion defenders to the ball all evening, yet when the lightning Joao came on he looked pedestrian. 

At the time my thoughts were that Fletch would replace Nuhiu. His strength, attitude and his experience would have been tough for the poor and tiring defence to deal with. But when Joao came on instead I thought yes his pace makes sense too. Their defenders had struggled all night for pace.

But no, he had his Bambi feet on last night.

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Not surprised he’s pissed off

Bang in form and then gets odds and sods at the ends of games

Needs more minutes

Yep...

And the best way of trying to prove his point is playing like that?

Give over. 

10 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Honestly think it's time to stop making excuses and accept he's not good enough.

I think it’s time too, he’s in his mid 20s and is still so inconsistent, great 1 game then Shiite for the next 3. Your typical average championship striker, but not the Portuguese international with prem potential we once thought 

16 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I agree with this but also agree with @McRightSide

He looks like he is a player that needs an arm round the shoulder and being told he is the best player in the world.

He was playing well but was dropped or injured and lost his place. His confidence looks shot and he’s not the player he was a few weeks ago.

He needs to be handled correctly because he is a real threat when in the mood. He also needs to look at himself because his performance / attitude last night was shocking.

He's 25. He shouldn't constantly need an arm around his shoulder telling him that he's a world beater. The like of Penney, Dawson, Baker? Yes. Not Joao though.

It's about time he takes responsibility for his poor own performances and starts to be more consistent. Which, lets be honest, he has never been throughout his time at S6.

No idea if this has already been tried but he seems ripe for a few sessions with a sports shrink. He's got all the physical/natural talent attributes but a completely undeveloped sports/competitive/childish brain. Needs re-programming. 

Edited by Almat

Just dont think Joao is a great impact sub to come on, and he is still very hit and miss...a luxury we cant afford.

If a have a gripe with jos its the substitutions, always very late in the day and always seems the wrong ones.

Id love to see a stat of how many goals/points weve lost from winning positions after the subs have come on.

15 hours ago, hawksmore said:

How can it be 'lack of effort' though?! I mean he came on being asked to play a role he's just not suited to at all, with FF beginning to fade too and the midfield dynamics completely changed as well. 

He could have tried to play the role though..didn't look as though he could give a foook

• Like 1

I kept saying to my lad how lazy he was. All he needed to do was make it hard for West Brom to play forward. Instead he just casually let their defenders carry the ball out of defence with little effort. Situations like that require all players to help defend wherever they are on the pitch but it looked as though it seemed beneath him to work hard for the team.

Lucas will struggle to get starts if we persevere with a front two, or play a lone striker.

If we play a two, one will always be Fletch or Nuhiu. Whilst Joao+Nuhiu worked brilliantly last season it looks like Jos has lost interest in it this year.

If we play a lone-striker it can’t be Lucas. Cant stay on his feet or keep the ball in that role. Again, always going to be Nuhiu or Fletch.

Where Lucas comes into his own is wide of a three, or alongside a brute like Fletch or Atdhe.

Given he was absolutely on fire last season, yet has only started 4 games this season, it looks like he needs to grasp any oportunity offered to him, unlike last night.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Lucas will struggle to get starts if we persevere with a front two, or play a lone striker.

If we play a two, one will always be Fletch or Nuhiu. Whilst Joao+Nuhiu worked brilliantly last season it looks like Jos has lost interest in it this year.

If we play a lone-striker it can’t be Lucas. Cant stay on his feet or keep the ball in that role. Again, always going to be Nuhiu or Fletch.

Where Lucas comes into his own is wide of a three, or alongside a brute like Fletch or Atdhe.

Given he was absolutely on fire last season, yet has only started 4 games this season, it looks like he needs to grasp any oportunity offered to him, unlike last night.

Spot on, I am a big fan of Joao but he is not a target or hold up man, he obviously doesn't like the physical side of a big centre half smashing in to him.

He is not particularly good at chasing long balls, he is much better when running at defenders who are facing him and backing off. This is why he like FF play better when Nuhiu is on the pitch as his hold up play and lay off play is better than Fletchers.

Hooper links better with Fletcher their game suits each other.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Honestly think it's time to stop making excuses and accept he's not good enough.

He's good enough to have scored 3 in 8 champ games.

But is kept out of the side by Nuhiu; whose scored 1 in a defeat where he was sent off.

Like winter 15/16, all over again.