Tom Lees

14 hours ago, s6 owl said:
  • More to blame for the 2nd goal than JP in my opinion just flipping smash him instead of jockeying for 30 yards. Get Thorniley back in for the next game because he is by far a better defender

Was wee wee poor for the goal and seems to be getting away with numerous mistakes every game too.

Like you say has to step out about 30 yards goal. Criminal that a defender lets a player into the area in that situation.

However Barnes shouldn’t be getting anywhere near that far and it’s a simple fouls Joey HAS to make given the time and flow of the game especially.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Last night reminded me of when Caolan Lavery ran at him and scored to make it 6-0 against Leeds all those years back.

Lees was subbed for Smith at half time. Then Smith got red carded straight away.

Don’t get the stick Tom Lees gets lately. He’s a solid championship defender. We definatley won’t get anyone better the way the finances are at the moment. 

Sick of seeing people saying he can’t pass. Let’s get Van Aken back in team then, he once hit a fantastic 40 yard pass.

4 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Don’t get the stick Tom Lees gets lately. He’s a solid championship defender. We definatley won’t get anyone better the way the finances are at the moment. 

Sick of seeing people saying he can’t pass. Let’s get Van Aken back in team then, he once hit a fantastic 40 yard pass.

Agree with this. I don’t think Tom is in great form but he has been a good player for us and will continue to be a good player for us. To me we have often put far too much pressure on him to distribute killer boards due to midfield shying away - he shouldn’t have as much of the ball as he does.

22 hours ago, s6 owl said:
  • More to blame for the 2nd goal than JP in my opinion just flipping smash him instead of jockeying for 30 yards. Get Thorniley back in for the next game because he is by far a better defender

not how defending works if you're the last defender you can't just smash him that is the tracking mans job who is Pelupessy who was caught wrong side of him on the edge of their box. If Tom Lees commits and fails its a certain goal, if Pelupessy gets right side of him or fouls him then we dont have a problem

2 minutes ago, Mighty0wls said:

not how defending works if you're the last defender you can't just smash him that is the tracking mans job who is Pelupessy who was caught wrong side of him on the edge of their box. If Tom Lees commits and fails its a certain goal, if Pelupessy gets right side of him or fouls him then we dont have a problem

There were two covering defenders Lees should have just smashed him 

Only consolation I can take from last night is that I hope it flipping teaches some of our players a lesson in seeing out a game or in allowing an attacker to just run at you until they are in a position to shoot. I don’t want to press the point too much as I’m sure the players involved are hurting today, but that really can’t be allowed to happen again. 

Tom Lees is a good honest professional defender... that's all he can do.

We do that bàck post thing where he nods it back.

That's his attacking threat.

He'll never be able to step out with the ball or carry it.  Leave him alone, he's a bog standard..one footed centre half who's serverved us well.

2 hours ago, Mighty0wls said:

Only hector was parallel with him and if lees commits and fails he would’ve shot before hector had time to get across. 

Not if he smashes him 10 foot in the air like he should have done

Edited by s6 owl

Guest LittleG

Tom Lees has been an excellent signing. We know his limitations, he is not a ball playing centre half and shouldn't expect him to bring the ball out. He is a stopper. However the other night he should not have kept backing off as their player ran forward

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:38, vulva said:

Nothing wrong with Tom Lees. Very good defender at this level, and for £300,000 has been a brilliant signing. Glenn Loovens was a perfect foil for Lees. 

Least of our worries. 

I'm surprised at the amount of stick Tom gets, but it's all about opinions. I don't think he's playing as bad as some suggest and I think he's a real asset to club....I'm a big fan. I think a lot of our defensive problems stem from the midfield........but we'll get there, I'm sure of it.    

Tom Lees is as good as most in this league and better than many , he was arguably MOM against Villa with Tammy Abraham kodjia etc and because we concede 2 goals he's  crap and never been a captain .

Some you need to give your heads a wobble 

On 03/10/2018 at 23:01, Kraschenbern said:

He is 100% at fault for their second.  With three CB's he can afford to close down the ball down in that situation.  He backed off for at least ten yards, and was showing the player inside.  Absolutely shocking.  He needs dropping cos frankly he's way off the pace this season.  I'm honestly fuming.  Simple stuff this as well.  Close the effing man down.

Was at fault for not closing down at Stoke too. I can understand when you're the last man, but ffs, just standing there or tracking back without challenging when you have support is just inviting pressure at this level. You have to limit the opponent's options quickly and decisively. You might fail or concede a foul, but you will at least upset their momentum and composure enough to snuff out the immediate danger. Its basic stuff.

22 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

but van aken can't defend ask Duffy at the sty

Very good defender. Top level championship defender when he’s alongside a central defender who is a leader and of good pedigree. Sometimes partnerships make players play better. This is certainly the case with Tom Lees. Our failure to replace a younger version of Glenn Loovens is completely baffling. Even more baffling we end up with JVA after watching videos of 200 central defenders all over Europe.