13 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

So you would rather our player bring their lad down when it's 4 on 2 in our favour defensively? Not being funny, but I think when you look up and see you've got two CB's closing down a player running at goal, you'd take the chance of the numbers game. Give away a free kick and let them sling everyone forward, or see how we totally outnumber the ballcarrier? There are times when you need to bring the opposition down, but when you've got twice as many players around the ball as the opposition, that's not one of them. The fault and crime is the fact no one even attempted to tackle... a blame that gets shared equally between Joey, Lees and Pudil.

I agree with your previous post but you do not ‘play the numbers hame’ With 5 minutes left. He could have brought him down 60 yards form goal, then 50, then 40. I’d be shocked if you could find any manager, player or ex player that says oh yeh let him carry the ball in the 87th minute because we have more players back. Its only when it gets in the box it becomes a problem. Lees or Pudil should also be coming out when he gets to around 30 yards from goal. 

This was 100% a time to bring a player down when they are breaking. You’ll see it week in week out when a player bursts past a midfielder even though there are a couple of centre backs you bring them down. It’s what you get taught to do. 

I agree that all 3 are to blame. But it starts with Joey.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think it easy now in hindsight to say someone should have fouled him 30-40 yards out for WBA second goal. 

Think it was simply was a case of four players round him and no one took responsibility to make a challenge.

Don't need hindsight - I would expect players in the U10's to know you bring a player down in that situation. Bannan knows, his 5 yellows have come doing the exact thing (usually because Quagmire is away with the fairies).

Truth is we need a Roy Keane 

Nasty Bàstard type Souness kind of player ..

They really earn their corn in situations like this ..

Let's be fair we haven't got a leader in our team and haven't had one for a good while ..

Tom Lees is not a leader,

never will be ..

Any ideas who would fill that role outside the present set up? 

Scratching my head here ....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Not at all. 

Once again... think about it. We outnumber the attackers two to one. There are two experienced CB's closing the ball carrier down.

What's better... bringing a player down and letting the opposition sling everyone forward, or knowing that we have twice the number of defenders than the opponents do attackers and playing the numbers game? You don't take one for the team when a player is running straight at two of your best CB's... you trust that they do their job. 

No, you bring them down. You’re making out like it’s a daft foul and he’s going nowhere. His running to the middle of the goal. Easily can get shots away. When running at a defender you can just poke it past and play for a foul, or be clever and get in the box too. 

Having a free kick 40-50 yards out is much less dangerous than the situation Joey put us in by not fouling Barnes.

YOU BRING THEM DOWN

Just for fairness I thought Joey played well last night.

The own goal I’ve not seen back enough to see if it was his man that got free, if it was it’s unfortunately his fault as much as the poor defending round it. If he’s chasing back someone else’s man and he wasn’t switched off he’s unlucky.

The last goal however cost us 2 points and fingers can be pointed at 3-4 of our players

13 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Truth is we need a Roy Keane 

Nasty Bàstard type Souness kind of player ..

They really earn their corn in situations like this ..

Let's be fair we haven't got a leader in our team and haven't had one for a good while ..

Tom Lees is not a leader,

never will be ..

Any ideas who would fill that role outside the present set up? 

Scratching my head here ....

Bannan.

4 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Bannan.

Knew someone would steam straight in with that ..

I had my answer ready 

No not Bannan 

Forest and Leeds game proves he's not the man for the Keane Souness role , Bannan needs the freedom to get on with what he's best at .

We need a really mean streak doing this job 

1 minute ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Knew someone would steam straight in with that ..

I had my answer ready 

No not Bannan 

Forest and Leeds game proves he's not the man for the Keane Souness role , Bannan needs the freedom to get on with what he's best at .

We need a really mean streak doing this job 

To an extent I agree as he wouldnt be the perfect captain however out of the present squad to me he has to be the best choice. Also a better option than Lees who's poor at communication and not a leader.

6 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

To an extent I agree as he wouldnt be the perfect captain however out of the present squad to me he has to be the best choice. Also a better option than Lees who's poor at communication and not a leader.

My original question was outside the squad 

Bannan is our star Batsman 

He needs to get the "runs on the board" for us ..

We need an "all rounder" for captain ..

I did say Lees was not suitable in my first post ..

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Cost us tonight 

why did he not take barnes down when he had chance ? Any other team would have done it! And the own goal 

When Barnes set off, me and my mates were screaming for Pelupessey to bring him down, you could see what was going to happen!!

In fairness to him up until around the 85th minute he's had a decent game but these games are too few and far between for him and I genuinly do not believe he's good enough, Sam Hutchinson is 10 times the player Joe Pelupessey is.

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

When Barnes set off, me and my mates were screaming for Pelupessey to bring him down, you could see what was going to happen!!

In fairness to him up until around the 85th minute he's had a decent game but these games are too few and far between for him and I genuinly do not believe he's good enough, Sam Hutchinson is 10 times the player Joe Pelupessey is.

Unfortunately he's 10 times less fitter than Joey ............

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

Poor JP

1st goal ,he did hid best to get to the man that Lees lost track off

2nd goal,yes he could have brought Barnes down early,but there were 3 more defenders to stop that run,maybe he thought one of those was experienced enough to stop the run?

Good all round performance last night by the starting 11,we just or not confident,strong enough to handle pressure of a more experienced team.

No critiscim of players from me,im enjoying the fresh approach.

And No, i dont expect us to get promoted.

The joy of hindsight.

For the second goal, it wasn't like Barnes was past JP and then had a clean run in on goal. He was 50 yards out and Pudil, Lees and Hector were all back. Clearly, based on the fact that Barnes went on to score it's easy to say he should have clattered him and taken a yellow but I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

9 times out of 10 one of the three defenders manages to not make a complete fizz up of the situation and we don't concede.

Would we rather give the opposition the chance to send everyone forward in the last minute for a free-kick lumped into our box or take our chances on a 50 yard run with 3 vs. 1 in our favour. I don't think many would pick the former without the benefit of hindsight. 

Clearly, the 3 defenders and Dawson proceeded to somehow allow Barnes to actually score a goal from that position which was criminal but the blame should lie with them rather than JP in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Chris C said:

The joy of hindsight.

For the second goal, it wasn't like Barnes was past JP and then had a clean run in on goal. He was 50 yards out and Pudil, Lees and Hector were all back. Clearly, based on the fact that Barnes went on to score it's easy to say he should have clattered him and taken a yellow but I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

9 times out of 10 one of the three defenders manages to not make a complete fizz up of the situation and we don't concede.

Would we rather give the opposition the chance to send everyone forward in the last minute for a free-kick lumped into our box or take our chances on a 50 yard run with 3 vs. 1 in our favour. I don't think many would pick the former without the benefit of hindsight. 

Clearly, the 3 defenders and Dawson proceeded to somehow allow Barnes to actually score a goal from that position which was criminal but the blame should lie with them rather than JP in my opinion. 

You ask 100 pro footballers what they would have done in JP's position (like a cr4p Family Fortunes) - I would be very surprised if they didn't say they would have taken a booking for the team.

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

You ask 100 pro footballers what they would have done in JP's position (like a cr4p Family Fortunes) - I would be very surprised if they didn't say they would have taken a booking for the team.

Sounds like a good programme - only if Les Dennis hosts it though.

Maybe they would. I can see how the posts on here today would have been had he nailed him on the halfway line and then we conceded from the free-kick.

"Why did he give a stupid foul away? We had 3 defenders back and they only had one guy forward - stupid decision"

Yeah, we'd have probably got away with defending the free-kick, but we should have got away with defending the 3v1 too. All in all, absolutely bobbins defending full stop.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Sounds like a good programme - only if Les Dennis hosts it though.

Maybe they would. I can see how the posts on here today would have been had he nailed him on the halfway line and then we conceded from the free-kick.

"Why did he give a stupid foul away? We had 3 defenders back and they only had one guy forward - stupid decision"

Yeah, we'd have probably got away with defending the free-kick, but we should have got away with defending the 3v1 too. All in all, absolutely bobbins defending full stop.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell for me. The obsession with blaming Joey for this one is crazy. 

Lees, Pudil and Joey all equally culpable in my eyes. Never seen such weak defending in a 3 on 1 situation before in the Championship. The main worry for me is that of those three we had our club captain, a club captain at his former club and a Championship promotion winner with what surely must be 200+ games of experience at this level. How did not one of them take charge of that situation?