Sorry but Jos cost us points

1 minute ago, Bluestripe said:

What....did that have any bearing on the poor defending?

There more to football than actual specific events, the lead up to those events are caused by a multitude of reasons including sports pyschology. 

Sticking on a lightweight youngster against a midfield full of experienced pros with the thought that we’d already won the game; they would have given them a boost. 

And they did. 

I’ve played in games at amateur / Saturday league level and one single event, decision, etc. can turn the game on it’s head. 

How honestly can people make the argument the manager is not partially or majority to blame for that this evening? It is the first time I have said it but those dropped points lay firmly at his feet. Player mistakes is something you have to live with, the manager should be smart enough to register the team we are playing is the divisions top scorers they score most of the goals in the 2nd half and were always going to finish the game strong, had he done his scouting on WBA over the course of the season so far. Essentially it is saving the team from themselves

The Onomah sub is criminal for me. To be clear I am not blaming CK he is a young lad just trying to get some minutes in an opportunity he maybe didn't expect. A manager should be able to read the game in terms of knowing his opposition, he can give Kirkby a run out for maybe the last 3 mins when the threat has gone. The first goal comes from the 2 CM'S clearing out and chasing all over and out of position it is JP who sticks it in at the back stick in the wing back position. This had not happened all game with the initial partnership, you can see in the build up before the ball goes wide we are all over. Reach throwing his arms up asking where CM'S are, Hector having to come out and engage in the CM position. 

2nd goal CK goes steaming forwards trying to make an impact, a more experienced player recognises the scoreline and the time on the clock and hangs back. Yes JP should bring him down, Yes Dawson should save it, but again the CM area of the pitch is cleared out allowing Barnes to get up to speed and get motoring. You can not blame players individual mistakes solely for that result on 85 mins before the sub the game was sown up. 

A shame because before the game as I say I would have been really happy with a point, but that is 2 dropped. Ah well on to Bristol Saturday see you all there. 

• Like 1

Just now, northeastowl said:

We basically played with 10 men. 

Dont get me wrong the defending was poo but we threw away control of the game with that sub.

We had plenty of players positioned to stop a one-man attack.

i get the frustration, but to blame it on the substitution misses the point that someone needed to stop/take out Barnes

No need to take Onomah off, honestly could not understand it, he was causing them problems.

They were poor at the back, we should have taken advantage,.

Hector looks solid then plays some daft suicide ball every 20 minutes

I would have settled for a point prematch, its a bloody hard run of games we are in and Jos has to take some credit for it, but honestly, a good chance missed tonight through being a bit sloppy both on and off the pitch

25 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Can't mitigate against what we just saw

For their first, the back line was all over the shop... you had two players pushed forwards and two back, then they swapped, then it shifted again and it left Palmer two on one at the back stick with only Joey P even remotely tracking back. 

Their second one, how none of Pudil, Joey and Lees take command of that situation is appalling. 

Jos can't take the blame. Kirby was a passenger, but at two up you can only see it as a good opportunity to bring him in... and he's definitely not at fault for the abysmal defending from the back line and holding midfielder. 

Exactly 

Kirby comes on 5 mins too early for me, bring him on in added time when the games dead 

Just now, malek said:

Jos set us up perfectly. We started panicking towards the end, and it cost us.

Exactly...Baggies had had a poor game up to that point - no surprise they’d throw the kitchen sink at us...we’d been handling stuff like that comfortably earlier in the game and our defenders defended really poorly

Lees is nowhere near as confident the player he was 3 yrs ago.

19 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Was onomh not brought off after having a hand in his face?

17 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

No, nothing wrong with his face 

Yes onomah got a finger in the eye I think. Had treatment went off. Fair enough. But the advantage we had was being physical and pressurising their players into mistakes. They looked and played like they were nervous. We should have put stronger bigger subs on, maybe Thornily instead of Kirby (not Kirby’s fault). And joey should have 100% wipes him out as soon as he crossed halfway line.

Completely agree 

Jos is doing a decent job but he’s dropped a massive b*llock tonight

If your bringing Nuhiu off then it has to be for Fletcher, and to bring the young lad on against the likes of Barry, Livermore and Brunt is complete madness

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Surely you bring Fletcher on for Nuhiu. Bring the player on that cam hold the ball up and win headers. Joao should have come on if we needed a goal but not when we where 2 up. Pi$$ed off. 

Yep, stick to a similar system that had been working for nigh on 80 minutes , Joao did not hold the ball up at all....bloody frustrating...

5 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Completely agree 

Jos is doing a decent job but he’s dropped a massive b*llock tonight

If your bringing Nuhiu off then it has to be for Fletcher, and to bring the young lad on against the likes of Barry, Livermore and Brunt is complete madness

This is spot on. 

28 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Can't mitigate against what we just saw

For their first, the back line was all over the shop... you had two players pushed forwards and two back, then they swapped, then it shifted again and it left Palmer two on one at the back stick with only Joey P even remotely tracking back. 

Their second one, how none of Pudil, Joey and Lees take command of that situation is appalling. 

Jos can't take the blame. Kirby was a passenger, but at two up you can only see it as a good opportunity to bring him in... and he's definitely not at fault for the abysmal defending from the back line and holding midfielder. 

You are not been fair to Kirby there. Their second goal started from our attack where Kirby made a good run into the box and Penney played a poor ball behind him. We didn’t touch the ball again until it was in our net.

2 minutes ago, S W F C said:

How can anyone blame Jos for 4 players not bringing down Barnes? 

They don't even need to bring him down. Just show him outside and wide. 

First instance, Joey shouldn't let him past so easily

Second instance, Lees should close him down knowing that Pudil is covering instead of backing off to the edge of the box

Third instance, why hasn't he been shown on his left peg and made to run towards the corner flag? 

Joey was weak in the tackle, Lees was a coward.