Matt Penney Contract

55 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Let’s be fair, Penney looks nothing like the ‘real deal’ quite yet, in fact I’d say his last few performances have been jittery and lacking quality (which of course is to be expected as he’s still progressing)

Think people need to calm down a little, and see how this one plays out. He’s shown potential to be a good championship wing back, but nothing more at this stage 

In 10 games he has show he is our first team option against other establish first team players in Fox.

His drop off in the last game was down to the insane idea that he was a striker - he is a left back that will probably end up playing as a left wing back and football now seems to be pushing towards wing backs that can defend as opposed to left backs that can get forward.

He will get better and better and if we get anywhere near to January and the club continue to dither signing him to a longer deal then quite frankly we will once again get what we deserve. 

You don't have to break the bank to sign him up to a longer deal, get him signed up for 2-3 years on slight less than Fox but a lot more than he is currently on, then when he improved offer him a better deal. I would be very surprise to hear he has turned a contract down if offered one as long as the club don't try getting him on the cheap. But the longer we leave it and the more exposure he gets on sky games and a lot more interest will be in him. A English left sided player with two good feet and an attacking flair and he is early 20's.

At the end of day it will be down to whether the player wants to stay and whether he can control his agent, ie has a mind of his own.

Irrespective of any offers from us an agent can always tell a young lad the grass is greener elsewhere.

Sometimes an agent might do this for his own financial gain. This happens at all levels. 

Wages offered obviously play a part but the deal will depend on Penney wanting to stay and , unfortunately, the club playing ball with the agents so they don’t lose out financially if he stays.

We need to let the CEO do the negotiations as I am pretty sure she understands how it works, not really a time for principles i’m afraid.

Can anyone think of another youth player that has come on as fast as Penney...I honestly can't.....

There must come a time when you take an educated punt..We let Hirst go, he got a lot of the publicity because of his family connection, if his name had bee "Smith" there would not have been half the furore..but Penney...You can see it can't you?

sure he's gonna make mistakes, but at his age, and at the level he's moved up to, simply coping in the championship is a massive plus point...and he has certainly coped!

People should chill out. He wants to stay and when he’s presented a contract he’ll likely sign

Agent has told him Wolves and Arsenal are showing interest but the lad just wants to stay and is still pinching himself he’s getting regular first team football.

I actually thought we’d have offered him something during this break but we don’t know the reasons for not doing so yet, it will happen. Patience 

Even if we offered Penney something now I doubt he'd accept it. Reason? He'd only get a high end youth contract not a first team level one. I would not blame him for rejecting it, either.

Now if he waits until March/April, he'll hopefully have fully developed into a first team player on the left and will be able to command the money he'd want, first team level with position rivals Boyd and Fox.

Fully expect Penney to sign a new deal towards end of this season.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

21 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

People should chill out. He wants to stay and when he’s presented a contract he’ll likely sign

Agent has told him Wolves and Arsenal are showing interest but the lad just wants to stay and is still pinching himself he’s getting regular first team football.

I actually thought we’d have offered him something during this break but we don’t know the reasons for not doing so yet, it will happen. Patience 

Source? Regarding wolves arsenal interest 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

Is that inside info ? Heard nothing of Arsenal and Wolves interest. If true, we will hardly keep him without offering what we are offering to other first team players. Hope we will do our best to keep him at S6 for long haul.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Even if we offered Penney something now I doubt he'd accept it. Reason? He'd only get a high end youth contract not a first team level one. I would not blame him for rejecting it, either.

Now if he waits until March/April, he'll hopefully have fully developed into a first team player on the left and will be able to command the money he'd want, first team level with position rivals Boyd and Fox.

Why can’t we offer him a first team level one now.

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

In 10 games he has show he is our first team option against other establish first team players in Fox.

His drop off in the last game was down to the insane idea that he was a striker - he is a left back that will probably end up playing as a left wing back and football now seems to be pushing towards wing backs that can defend as opposed to left backs that can get forward.

He will get better and better and if we get anywhere near to January and the club continue to dither signing him to a longer deal then quite frankly we will once again get what we deserve. 

You don't have to break the bank to sign him up to a longer deal, get him signed up for 2-3 years on slight less than Fox but a lot more than he is currently on, then when he improved offer him a better deal. I would be very surprise to hear he has turned a contract down if offered one as long as the club don't try getting him on the cheap. But the longer we leave it and the more exposure he gets on sky games and a lot more interest will be in him. A English left sided player with two good feet and an attacking flair and he is early 20's.

If he's as good as you say then he'd be soft in the head to sign a contract like what you propose.....he's likely to be demand if he's that good and to be able to leave for just a compensation fee must be very appealing to him .

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Jos said it would be sorted during this international break

Its only Monday. Chill out. Fully expect an announcement this week

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Source? Regarding wolves arsenal interest 

2 hours ago, malek said:

Is that inside info ? Heard nothing of Arsenal and Wolves interest. If true, we will hardly keep him without offering what we are offering to other first team players. Hope we will do our best to keep him at S6 for long haul.

He told someone I know in Champs at Eccy Road Saturday. Could be true or it could be any one of his agent, him or my mate talking nonsense. 

It's not a worry anyway, I don't think from the rest of the conversation that he'll be going anywhere

On 02/10/2018 at 23:52, alanharper said:

We need to hide his passport and start a brainwashing course right now about how terrible Belgium is.

Alright. I’ll burn his birth certificate and any existing passport(s), you move in next door and pretend to be Hercule Poirot. Jobs a good ‘un. 

(I am joking)

(except for the bit about Hercule Poirot)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

100% this. I've been trying to get this point across for a few weeks, to no avail. Glad someone else sees it the same way. 

While it makes sense for the club to tie him down as soon as possible, he'll be looking at is as the difference between a contract for an exciting prospect right now, or a contract for an established first team player at the end of the season. I'd imagine the latter will be potentially three times as much money. 

42 minutes ago, CraigSGM said:

100% this. I've been trying to get this point across for a few weeks, to no avail. Glad someone else sees it the same way. 

While it makes sense for the club to tie him down as soon as possible, he'll be looking at is as the difference between a contract for an exciting prospect right now, or a contract for an established first team player at the end of the season. I'd imagine the latter will be potentially three times as much money. 

I don’t get this argument.

The club has to make a decision when it comes to wages.

Do we give him a contract as an established first team player now or risk leaving it until he is only a couple of months from being able to sign for somebody else.

Why would we be stupid enough to think he will sign a contract now on a lot less money, and take a bigger risk that he will leave.

The outside interest is only going to grow, why give his agent and other clubs all that time.

Obviously he won’t sign a kids contract so offer him proper money now, get it sorted and everybody can concentrate on the football