Matt Penney Contract

58 minutes ago, room0035 said:

No say what so ever if he did we would have sign a lot more players up.

Karen was brought in to sort the contracts and the transfers, she didn't do very well with Hirst or Clare though I think the problem with Hirst was the Chairman.

A football club lives and dies on their back room staff, the megastore will success or fail based on the ability of the marketing and the manager to entice customers in, the pitch if maintained well will aid the players but the playing and coaching staff can not dictate whether the ground staff are any good only actions can. 

The same goes for those looking after the players contract we are led to believe by the club its the lass from Charlton since she has been here we lost all the players out of contract from last season other than giving Nuihu a new deal and the crock Pudil a new deal, this season we have 13 first team squad players out of contracts we have resigned Bannan and Joao - we have Penney, Palmer, Fox, Neilson, Preston all out of contract who are in and around the first team squad this season.

We have Jones, Westwood, Abdi, Matias, Hooper. Lee, Boyd all out of the team 3 are injured the rest are not wanted so why is Westwood, Abdi, Jones, Boyd still at the club I find it hard to believe not one single club wanted Westwood. The policy seem to be lets let their contracts run down and they can leave at the end of the season but the job of the person in charge of the players contracts and squad is to try and shift the players that the manager does not want - not doing a particular great job is she.

Putting is in perspective Westwood, Jones, Matias, Boyd being allowed to sit in the stands and waiting for their contract to be up instead of trying to loan them out or even better sell them or mutually release from their contracts will end up costing us at least £5m in wages - we could give 10,000 fans a free shirt for the money we are wasting in salaries.

So you tell me who do you think is not doing the job they are paid for.

Maybe these players are happy to sit tight and wait until next summer. 

23 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I don't think for a minute that we haven't tried to sell/loan certain players taking into account our P&S problems.

I would say (as others have previously) that it's more a case of other clubs don't want them due to prohibitive wages etc.

With regards to "at least we now know" I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion ?

I may be wrong but I can't recall any statement from the club that would support this.

I was being sarcastic. Of course we don’t know, so to state that we do then bash the club for it is pretty weird.

• Like 2

Well on a positive note we have now started talks with Penney its been confirmed.

Out of the rest that's out of contract I would give Matias a new one and Preston. Lee and Hooper need to get back from injury and see what happens. Rest can be offered out for nothing in January.

Well I think we have worked a minor miracle to get Joao and Bannan to sign new deals and therefore maintain them as valuable assets to the club.

The signings of Hector and Onomah on loan also look very good based on performance to date, exactly what we needed.

Jos obviously sees no value in giving game time to over 30 year olds when Abdi is obviously unreliable from a fitness perspective, Boyd added nothing to the team, Jones possibly could and we don’t know the reason behind Westwood.

As for loaning, I don’t think things were as clear in August other than Westwood, maybe we will see something in January.

Yes there will be instances where we wish we had Jones or Boyd to come off the bench, eg West Brom but overall you have to applaud Jos for having a plan and the courage to play and develop athletic, young players in a very tough league where every game is close.

However if you go this way you do have to have a plan to keep the youngsters you want.

Hirst was a lost cause and Clare overrated and no great loss.

We need to keep Penney and I think he will sign up soon.

22 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Maybe these players are happy to sit tight and wait until next summer. 

Maybe but the good CEO/Director of football finds a way to move on players not wanted by the manager.

If we had a good one maybe we could make some money on transfer fees and save a fortune on wages

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Maybe but the good CEO/Director of football finds a way to move on players not wanted by the manager.

If we had a good one maybe we could make some money on transfer fees and save a fortune on wages

Perhaps you should blame the people who signed these players not the ones stuck with them now 

7 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Well I think we have worked a minor miracle to get Joao and Bannan to sign new deals and therefore maintain them as valuable assets to the club.

The signings of Hector and Onomah on loan also look very good based on performance to date, exactly what we needed.

Jos obviously sees no value in giving game time to over 30 year olds when Abdi is obviously unreliable from a fitness perspective, Boyd added nothing to the team, Jones possibly could and we don’t know the reason behind Westwood.

As for loaning, I don’t think things were as clear in August other than Westwood, maybe we will see something in January.

Yes there will be instances where we wish we had Jones or Boyd to come off the bench, eg West Brom but overall you have to applaud Jos for having a plan and the courage to play and develop athletic, young players in a very tough league where every game is close.

However if you go this way you do have to have a plan to keep the youngsters you want.

Hirst was a lost cause and Clare overrated and no great loss.

We need to keep Penney and I think he will sign up soon.

Completely agree with you.

But if you are going to value youth, then you have to value youth and that is giving progressing players better contracts than 'The best paid player for their age group' - which basically mean the littliest we can get away with paying them.

I've always thought this situation is different because of Jos and the fact Penney wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for Jos giving him a chance. 

I think Penney will be loyal to the club now. 

Then again it depends on the kind of offer we give him. It needs to be a first team wage. 

Just now, oldishowl said:

Perhaps you should blame the people who signed these players not the ones stuck with them now 

For all the years DC has been here we have needed two signing with experience a marketing manager and a director of football until we get these two signing correct. The one squad we never be managed and control the way it should and the commercial side of the club will continue to be the clusterfuck it currently is.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Completely agree with you.

But if you are going to value youth, then you have to value youth and that is giving progressing players better contracts than 'The best paid player for their age group' - which basically mean the littliest we can get away with paying them.

Are you referring back to Hirst.

As I said, he was always a lost cause and we need to look forward with our new CEO and Jos rather than back .

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I've always thought this situation is different because of Jos and the fact Penney wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for Jos giving him a chance. 

Then again it depends on the kind of offer we give him. It needs to be a first team wage. 

I think a modest wage with bonuses and rises based on number of games played would be a fair compromise. Then if he continues to develop as a first team player as we all hope he will his wage will then reflect that.

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Good luck trying to get a transfer fee in January for any of the players out of contract in the summer.

40 minutes ago, room0035 said:

In some scenarios if a player is keen to play and the stars align with a club wanting to take them now then some kind of arrangement could probably be made. But very few would command a fee in my view.

50 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Are you referring back to Hirst.

As I said, he was always a lost cause and we need to look forward with our new CEO and Jos rather than back .

No I am referring to Penney he is first choice left back now and fox does not get a look in, if we offer him less than what Fox is on because of his age and not offer him a contract based on his ability then we will continue to miss the point.

The mistakes of the past are there for us to learn from and I really hope we do, or we will lose a lot more decent talent.

56 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Without injuries last year Sean Clare would of been released at the end of the season and no one would of cared. Instead he got his chance and then f*cked us off,  So to presume that because we have given them a platform they will repay us with loyalty is naive. Hopefully Penney is a different case but nothing should surprise you

41 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Good luck trying to get a transfer fee in January for any of the players out of contract in the summer.

Lets take Westwood on a reported £20,000 a week or just over 1,000,000 a season 

We could let him leave for a free in January and save the club £500,000 or the same as what the club gets for selling 8,475 new blue and white shirts

Boyd/Jones/Abdi all on similar if not better wages either loan them out paying 50% of their salaries or find some way to end their contract with mutual consent. Helping to reduce some of the money we continue to waste on them.

No what we will do is wait till the end of the season spunk a few more million in wages to sit in the stands and then blame everyone else why we are under a transfer embargo again next year for breaching the FFP rules.

3 minutes ago, Owlbert Einstein said:

Without injuries last year Sean Clare would of been released at the end of the season and no one would of cared. Instead he got his chance and then f*cked us off,  So to presume that because we have given them a platform they will repay us with loyalty is naive. Hopefully Penney is a different case but nothing should surprise you

Footballer realistically have to earn enough in 10 years to last them the remainder of their lives.

So why should they not look for what is the best for them.

Matt Penney if he continues to progress the way he is going is going to be worth millions in a very short space of time. We are told the policy of the current management is to value youth and build a young hungry team that will improve but we then offer the players' The best contract for their age' no we offer players contracts based on their use to the team and if need what we likely could get for them. 

We cannot keep using the he might not make it as an excuse to not tie him down to a longer contract, you might get hit by a bus when you cross the road but you are not going to stay in your house for the rest of your life are you just in case.

7 minutes ago, Owlbert Einstein said:

Was a different scenario, I think that came after we refused to play him unless he signed. It was pretty much the same for Hirst and Clare but i think the club relented over Clare due to the injury crisis.

Jos referred to penney as first team player in his press conference. This suggests it will be a first team salary and we pay well so should be no problem. jos also seemed positive. If he does not sign this will be down to Agent who have done this club no good whatsoever.

The comparison to Hirst and Clare situation is daft. hirst was not a first team regular and was nowhere near. The Chairman said his agents demands were for first team wage plus. in reality it was unrealistic he has ended with Belgian second divison club who are bottom of league and he is one bench. clearly none of the big clubs wanted him as his demands to them would not have been difficult to meet.

With Clare not a first team regular but showed promise and i am sure offer was reasonable but was lured away by offer that did not amterialise and has ended up in Scottish football.

The truth is you keep in contract and get games if you are a good player and do well you will get the Premier league interest and regardless of what contract you have signed they will sign you if they want you.

if you have a stand off for money as a junior think its because the agents think you may not cut it at top leveland want to cash in as much as possible.

H

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Lets take Westwood on a reported £20,000 a week or just over 1,000,000 a season 

We could let him leave for a free in January and save the club £500,000 or the same as what the club gets for selling 8,475 new blue and white shirts

Boyd/Jones/Abdi all on similar if not better wages either loan them out paying 50% of their salaries or find some way to end their contract with mutual consent. Helping to reduce some of the money we continue to waste on them.

No what we will do is wait till the end of the season spunk a few more million in wages to sit in the stands and then blame everyone else why we are under a transfer embargo again next year for breaching the FFP rules.

"find some way to end their contract".. you've been asked time and again how you go about that.

£22 k at Hillsborough or go on loan for a lesser package?

Get your head in the real world...WE ARE STUCK WITH THEM.