Matt Penney Contract

28 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I don’t get this argument.

The club has to make a decision when it comes to wages.

Do we give him a contract as an established first team player now or risk leaving it until he is only a couple of months from being able to sign for somebody else.

Why would we be stupid enough to think he will sign a contract now on a lot less money, and take a bigger risk that he will leave.

The outside interest is only going to grow, why give his agent and other clubs all that time.

Obviously he won’t sign a kids contract so offer him proper money now, get it sorted and everybody can concentrate on the football 

Offering him a senior deal after nine(?) games will have a knock on effect though. If we're to continue promoting youth, all of those lads will expect top wages as soon as they've played a handful of games for the first team. That's not sustainable and could undo a lot of the good work we've done in the Academy over the past few years, because none of the kids will sign new deals. 

16 hours ago, torryowl said:

If he's as good as you say then he'd be soft in the head to sign a contract like what you propose.....he's likely to be demand if he's that good and to be able to leave for just a compensation fee must be very appealing to him .

Have you seen him play any games this season.

Based on the options we have at left back Fox who is simply crap and out of contract in the summer, Pudil who legs have gone and we will be lucky to get 25 games out of him is out of contract in the summer, Reach who is not a wing back and playing him there we lose going forward.

OR we have a young kid who in 10 games+ has been a breathe of fresh air, who looks to have a decent going forward and his delivery on him when in the opposite half has already led to goals scored and is learning all the time in the defensive half and improving with every game.

But no what we need to do is wait and see and hope before the end of his contract he signs a new deal or we will lose him the same way we did with Sean Clare and David Hirst.

Every other team in our league seem to have little problem tying their best young talent to longer term contracts if the staff we have at the club cannot do it, then get rid and bring in someone who can.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ash76 said:

He told someone I know in Champs at Eccy Road Saturday. Could be true or it could be any one of his agent, him or my mate talking nonsense. 

It's not a worry anyway, I don't think from the rest of the conversation that he'll be going anywhere

Sorry to be rude, but let’s take what you say as being true.

You’re a Sheffield lad, a Wednesday player out in Sheffield with friends or strangers who are fellow fans.

Now what are you going to say when asked about it? Of course he’ll be honest and say he’s happy playing, but he’s also going to stress he’s Wednesday through and through and never wants to leave. Seriously though, he might be telling the truth but if the likes of premier league clubs come knocking who can comfortably blow our contract offers out of the water do you think most people in his situation would do? You don’t get many one club players anymore for a reason and one of those big reasons is money.

I wouldn’t fault him if he left. Nothing wrong with anyone wanting to financially better themselves. 

9 minutes ago, CraigSGM said:

Offering him a senior deal after nine(?) games will have a knock on effect though. If we're to continue promoting youth, all of those lads will expect top wages as soon as they've played a handful of games for the first team. That's not sustainable and could undo a lot of the good work we've done in the Academy over the past few years, because none of the kids will sign new deals. 

I think you are missing the point IF we want him to stay we have to offer him a contract, if he leaves the end of the season and he goes abroad or to a Premiership feeder club we get JACK.

If we don't negotiate and we get to January and he continue to progress the way he is, his agent will be getting offers from elsewhere and they will blow us out of the water.

I will be shock to hear if we as a club have not started negotiations over a deal extension because if we have not yet then we clearly have not learnt a thing in the last 12 months. BUT if we have and he signs a new deal for 2-3 years what a shot in the arm of every young player at the club to see if you are good enough you have a future at the club. I do not see offering him a deal now as a negative and as a club with a plan to promote and progress younger players to not offer a deal and wait contradicts everything that the management team are trying to do.

• Haha 1

I hate the idea of it but we need to start handing out longer deals to youth players we believe might make the cut.

It’s wrong seeing youngsters on thousands a week before they’ve made, but the financial reward now is just so high imo.

I’m not suggesting we should offer anywhere near this about or that we would get this many youngsters worthy of signing on as pros per year. If you for example paid 4 players £5,000 a week on a 2 year deal it’ll cost the club roughly £1million per season. Would obv go up to £2million a season with next years intake. Based on my completely made up numbers, which I see as in the high side, for wages and number of players signed, we’d have to sell 1 player for £10million every 5 years to break even. Not mentioning some of those will be playing in our first team anyway. Then you offer to extend deals or release as appropriate. Seems doable.

Its stupid but decent youth players are huge assets to clubs like us now. 15-20 very good championship games in a season can easily see a player go for £10+million. All brought in by daft prem money.

Don’t get me wrong there will be failures and we will spunk a load of money on lads that don’t work out. As a longer term, pic picture strategy though it makes financial sense to offer longer and better paid deals.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think you are missing the point IF we want him to stay we have to offer him a contract, if he leaves the end of the season and he goes abroad or to a Premiership feeder club we get JACK.

If we don't negotiate and we get to January and he continue to progress the way he is, his agent will be getting offers from elsewhere and they will blow us out of the water.

I will be shock to hear if we as a club have not started negotiations over a deal extension because if we have not yet then we clearly have not learnt a thing in the last 12 months. BUT if we have and he signs a new deal for 2-3 years what a shot in the arm of every young player at the club to see if you are good enough you have a future at the club. I do not see offering him a deal now as a negative and as a club with a plan to promote and progress younger players to not offer a deal and wait contradicts everything that the management team are trying to do.

Pretty sure players under 23 can't negotiate with anyone else until their contract expires, so January doesn't mean the same for young players as it does for the senior players. 

18 minutes ago, CraigSGM said:

Pretty sure players under 23 can't negotiate with anyone else until their contract expires, so January doesn't mean the same for young players as it does for the senior players. 

I could be wrong but I believe foreign clubs can offer contracts in January. 

Then add on players and agents getting tapped up. Don’t sign a deal and we will offer you x amount in 5-6 months.

19 hours ago, Ash76 said:

People should chill out. He wants to stay and when he’s presented a contract he’ll likely sign

Agent has told him Wolves and Arsenal are showing interest but the lad just wants to stay and is still pinching himself he’s getting regular first team football.

I actually thought we’d have offered him something during this break but we don’t know the reasons for not doing so yet, it will happen. Patience 

I admire your coolness mate but once Leicester and Everton went for Hirsty, Doyen stitched us up.

They are also Penney's agents - and also Joao' s to be fair - and this guy is the best young prospect I've seen for us for years.

Like Brookes, he could be a £12 million player soon. 

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

Have you seen him play any games this season.

Based on the options we have at left back Fox who is simply crap and out of contract in the summer, Pudil who legs have gone and we will be lucky to get 25 games out of him is out of contract in the summer, Reach who is not a wing back and playing him there we lose going forward.

OR we have a young kid who in 10 games+ has been a breathe of fresh air, who looks to have a decent going forward and his delivery on him when in the opposite half has already led to goals scored and is learning all the time in the defensive half and improving with every game.

But no what we need to do is wait and see and hope before the end of his contract he signs a new deal or we will lose him the same way we did with Sean Clare and David Hirst.

Every other team in our league seem to have little problem tying their best young talent to longer term contracts if the staff we have at the club cannot do it, then get rid and bring in someone who can.

I've seen him play.....you must be naive if you think sacking Joss is the answer to Penney not signi g a new deal.... the lad holds all the cards why would he sign anything at this time when knows that come the summer they could be host clubs offering far better deals than we can give him...

On 09/10/2018 at 11:48, fred mciver said:

Scouting Agreement https://openload.co/f/EHkjiKPWTuI/Sheffield_Wednesday_%26_DSI_-_Scouting_Agreement.pdf 

You may also wanna see Doyen's (or whatever called now ) Wikepedia entry, under 'Conflicts of Interest' paragraphs.

Pretty damning and most issues pre - date Chansiri's ownership here.

May be he doesn't have Google. 

Opened this and now keep getting Openload messages all the time. 

Beware! 

Considering his situation at the club, I don't think Penney will look to leave the club in a hurry. But then again I hope club will put him a fair offer. We lost two of our most talented youngsters in short time, and I hope we wont let it play out again.

8 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Sorry to be rude, but let’s take what you say as being true.

You’re a Sheffield lad, a Wednesday player out in Sheffield with friends or strangers who are fellow fans.

Now what are you going to say when asked about it? Of course he’ll be honest and say he’s happy playing, but he’s also going to stress he’s Wednesday through and through and never wants to leave. Seriously though, he might be telling the truth but if the likes of premier league clubs come knocking who can comfortably blow our contract offers out of the water do you think most people in his situation would do? You don’t get many one club players anymore for a reason and one of those big reasons is money.

I wouldn’t fault him if he left. Nothing wrong with anyone wanting to financially better themselves. 

He might have a bit of sense and think about long term rather than a 10k offer to sit on his 4rse doing nothing to go backwards

12 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

He might have a bit of sense and think about long term rather than a 10k offer to sit on his 4rse doing nothing to go backwards

Sense would be to go to a prem club and be set up for life and more than likely get loaned back to the championship and then hope to progress.

You’re looking closer to £20k+ a week too rather than £10k. Based on what youngsters without first team appearances get at the better prem clubs. They’d see it as a few million punt if he’s available on a free.

I don’t like it but it’s fast becoming more and more prevepant in modern football if a premier league club is interested.

Considering the amount of old timers and crocks we've ended up with on high wages and long contracts i don't see any reason not to offer 15-20k to someone young who we genuinely think will make it and is worth it.

Those that probably won't make it at a high level will already know, or at least their agents will as there will be no Prem interest. 5k then looks very tempting. So we wouldn't have to do it for all youngsters.

Rather we ended up with Penney failing to make it into a £10m player on a decent wage 3 years from now than have another Jones or Boyd on the books for the same time.

• Haha 2

As he will have seen with Hirst and Clare, the grass isn’t always greener, especially when compensation comes into play. He will have also experienced the perils of relying on a loan and waiting in the wings here. A move could be lucrative but it may be back to square one again in terms of really starting a career.

Im hopeful that provided we make a good enough offer to be competitive, even if not the best, the draw of playing for his own team for the short term and really kicking on will be enough to get it done. 

Too many players skip a step and go for the early and easy money (who can blame them) but does it always benefit them career wise and financially in the longer term. Presumably you’d earn more if you moved for a big fee like Brooks, Maddison  etc but you could quite easily get lost in the youth system 

if you don’t do your time. For example, Kiwomya made the move to Chelsea but is now at Donny Rovers.

Edited by Bluesteel

We just need the club to offer him what they think he is worth, rather than what they think they can get him to sign for. 

That way, all is fair and whatever decision is made, is done so with goodwill and respect, rather than all this dodgy agent stuff. If the player knows the club value him, have a plan for his progression and want him to be part of the success it achieves, that along side fair wages should be enough for a player like Penney to sign, if it's not, then we should let him go.

1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

Considering the amount of old timers and crocks we've ended up with on high wages and long contracts i don't see any reason not to offer 15-20k to someone young who we genuinely think will make it and is worth it.

Those that probably won't make it at a high level will already know, or at least their agents will as there will be no Prem interest. 5k then looks very tempting. So we wouldn't have to do it for all youngsters.

Rather we ended up with Penney failing to make it into a £10m player on a decent wage 3 years from now than have another Jones or Boyd on the books for the same time.

15-20k to a kid? are you mad?