Matt Penney Contract

6 minutes ago, CraigSGM said:

There was nothing about Matt Penney last year to suggest he'd even get a new contract though. Yeah he was looking good with our kids, but he couldn't make the bench in League Two. He's come out of nowhere this year. 

What you're suggesting is putting 20/21 year old players who aren't cutting it in League Two on deals until they're 24/25 years old. I'm all for investing in youth, but that's not the way to do it. 

People are being very short sighted with this one, blinded by the fact that Penney has been outstanding this season. 

He's always been the standout performer at every youth level. 

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

No chance. We will be looking at it and speaking with his reps. His answer was just a straight bat one.

Exactly. People think you get actually information from press conferences. Let’s see how this pans out and if all the fretting like fanñies was worth it.

Edited by Sonny

Got the Bon Jovi feeling about this lad........

Met a rocker mate of mine when I was younger. I’d just bought an LP, Bon Jovi’s debut album. They weren’t well known at the time, but I’d heard one or two tracks and bought the album off the back of that.

”Never heard of them” he said.

”You will do” I said, “They’re going to be massive”.

Feel the same way about this lad.

I reckon he’ll be number 3 in the charts by this time next week. lol

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 1

I don’t think the club can really do wrong here whatever the outcome 

They’re obviously aware of his potential and won’t be naive enough to offer him a derisory contract. He’ll get offered a contact which will equal his worth and status 

It’ll all be down to Penney and his agent (eurgh doyen)

1 minute ago, sw1867 said:

Key word highlighted above!

Clare chose not to sign the contract and did not go on to play for Villa or Swansea or anyone else at that level. He now plays (not sure if he is actually making the team) for Hearts in a division I’d still fancy my chances in (and I am / was sh*t).

The SPL is crap.

All Scottish football is crap.

All Scottish footballers are crap.

Apart from those playing for Sheffield Wednesday.

Ditto Portuguese football. Just jocks with a sun tan.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, David1867 said:

From his interview today it sounds like we haven't offered one and he isn't thinking about it either. 

Are we about to lose another one for a pittance? 

Yeah but if we offered him a 4 year deal and he flopped of got a Alman Hooper type injury, you'd be moaning about crocks on big contracts. You can't have it both ways 

2 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

He's coming through at a really awkward time. I bet there's a few people at the club sat scratching their heads wondering how to tackle this offer. 

He looks like the real deal, so do we offer him a deal in line with the senior pros in his position? 

Or, do we make him the best paid player in his age group, but still well short of the other first team players?

He is young and hasn't played many games. He looks very good, but it's not uncommon for young players to break through, look like world beaters then drop off and end up back in the U23s. With that in mind, a deal in line with the first team seems unlikely. 

But, if we offer him a 4 year deal on relatively low wages because of his age and inexperience, unless we're going to renegotiate it twice a season for the rest of the deal, there's a good chance he'll have his head turned by vastly improved offers elsewhere if he continues to develop at the same rate. 

We have to get this exactly right, else it could scupper negotiations with all youngsters breaking through for the next few years. Give him a senior wage after six games and everyone coming through will want one. Give him a low wage when he's first choice in his position and the young lads will always be looking elsewhere for a better deal, knowing that younger players at Wednesday don't get paid well, even if you're a first team regular.

It could also be the case that Matt and his agent want to hold off until the end of the season, as it puts them in a much stronger position for negotiating a good contract if he's been first choice all year. 

I don't envy whoever has to try and work this one out. 

I agree with you mate. Maybe that’s why they are waiting, give him a few more games under his belt and make him an offer once they know he can really cut it in the first team. 

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

This is complete rubbish

You sign up your assets in 18 months time a championship quality left back/left winger with room to improve will fetch millions. The manager has a recruitment policy apparently to sign player between 19-23 but the club currently don't value these players and offer them year to year deal expecting the players to play lots of first team football before giving longer deals.

The club need to scrap their policy of not valuing youth and allowing players to get to the last 6 months of contracts before signing them up.

This policy last season cost the club about £3-4m with the money we would have got for Hirst and Clare had they been in contract compared to the £300,000 we actually got. We offer 5 figures salaries to players over the hill like Pudil, Loovens, Jones and then play hard ball when kids ask for a few thousand a week.

Take the money we are wasting on Abdi, we could sign up Penney, Thorniley, Baker, Neilson and still not be spending as much as we are on Adbi to sit in the stands.

It is you who is talking rubbish. Clare got offered a contract which would have made him one of the highest paid youth players which he turned down. And look where he ended up. The 3-4 million you are on about is a made up figure. If there wasn’t a championship club willing to sign him on a free why in your right mind would you think they would’ve paid a couple of million for him just because he is under contract.

As for taking the money we are wasting on Abdi - you can’t, simple as. The money  Abdi gets paid is his wage determined by his contract with the club. It is spoken for and it is legally what he is entitled to. Like it or not that’s the fact. You can’t just say well your injured and we’ve got 4 other players we’d rather pay so we’re taking your wages off you. That’s the whole point of a contract. 

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Had Clare signed for either Villa or Swansea we would have been due compensation £1-2m based on current Fa guidelines. Had he still been in contract he either would be playing in the first team now or he would have been sold for a fee.

Not sure about that, it’s down to the level of development and we’d signed him rather than developing him from youth, if that makes sense. 

3 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

There was nothing about Matt Penney last year to suggest he'd even get a new contract though. Yeah he was looking good with our kids, but he couldn't make the bench in League Two. He's come out of nowhere this year. 

What you're suggesting is putting 20/21 year old players who aren't cutting it in League Two on deals until they're 24/25 years old. I'm all for investing in youth, but that's not the way to do it. 

People are being very short sighted with this one, blinded by the fact that Penney has been outstanding this season. 

Bloody hell, he didn't come out of nowhere. He looked a great player for couple of years now, and it is big slap in the face to those picking matchday squad to get him constantly overlooked. 

It is not like he just turned good right now. Players don't come good over night. While he was turrning out for Mansfield kids last season we had Fox in our starting 11.

5 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

This.

He's proving himself, and if he continues to do so then he'll be offered a deal that reflects that before Christmas I'm sure.

We can't start throwing silly money around after half a dozen decent performances. 

1 hour ago, malek said:

Bloody hell, he didn't come out of nowhere. He looked a great player for couple of years now, and it is big slap in the face to those picking matchday squad to get him constantly overlooked. 

It is not like he just turned good right now. Players don't come good over night. While he was turrning out for Mansfield kids last season we had Fox in our starting 11.

He's shown potential, but plenty do that and can't make the step up. You can't really use good performances in the u23s as a basis for an inflated contract.

Yes, by all means take into account his youth career, but also judge him on the last 6 weeks and the next 6 weeks. Then make him a sensible offer. That really is all we can do. If he decides to go down the Hirst route then so be it.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

2 hours ago, malek said:

the club must have had some doubts hence him only getting a one year deal to prove himself …..for them to give stobbs 2.5 years at same time makes you think they had more faith in stobbs  making the grade . 

5 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Yeah but if we offered him a 4 year deal and he flopped of got a Alman Hooper type injury, you'd be moaning about crocks on big contracts. You can't have it both ways 

he wouldn't be on anywhere near that kind of wage and where have I been moaning about Hooper or Abdi's wages? 

Penney - £5k

hooper/abdi £35k 

We'd never sign anyone if there was concern about potential future injuries. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. 

Edited by David1867

12 hours ago, malek said:

He kinda has come out of nowhere this season. Yes, he's always looked good at youth level, against other kids. Send him out to Bradford and then Mansfield at League Two level and those managers thought that he wasn't good enough for their first 11. 

So if U23s level is well short of League 2 standard, it sure as hell is a long way from the first team in the Championship.

How many 'next big things' have we had bossing it in our youth ranks down the years that haven't made the cut, who are now nowhere to be seen?