Matt Penney Contract

He’s in the position to negotiate now 

we could offer a nice wage for his age with a very good appearance bonus we could also offer security with a wage rise each year based on appearances which would bring him line with our seniors after 2/3 years 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

This is complete rubbish

You sign up your assets in 18 months time a championship quality left back/left winger with room to improve will fetch millions. The manager has a recruitment policy apparently to sign player between 19-23 but the club currently don't value these players and offer them year to year deal expecting the players to play lots of first team football before giving longer deals.

The club need to scrap their policy of not valuing youth and allowing players to get to the last 6 months of contracts before signing them up.

This policy last season cost the club about £3-4m with the money we would have got for Hirst and Clare had they been in contract compared to the £300,000 we actually got. We offer 5 figures salaries to players over the hill like Pudil, Loovens, Jones and then play hard ball when kids ask for a few thousand a week.

Take the money we are wasting on Abdi, we could sign up Penney, Thorniley, Baker, Neilson and still not be spending as much as we are on Adbi to sit in the stands.

All this just seems to need massive amounts of hindsight and at the same time being able to see in the future with supreme confidence.  

• Like 2

penney & his agent hold all the cards now …..you have to think that if we have made assurances to whoever decides on FFP  that we are going to cut our cloth then we may not be in a position to offer him what his agent knows he can get elsewhere . 

13 minutes ago, Watson said:

All this just seems to need massive amounts of hindsight and at the same time being able to see in the future with supreme confidence.  

No most club have a simple policy on youth value all of the youth and as long as 1 in 5 or 6 makes it you more than cover your costs.

Look at our neighbours in S2 they have a production line of youth coming through how many of their good young players leave on the cheap and how many of them do they makes millions on - Brookes only played 30 first team games and they got £12m for him, when he broke into the first team do you think they said well lets leave it until he is into the last 6 months of his contract or did they offer him a deal sharpish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41658991 by this point last season he had barely played 10 first team games.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

No most club have a simple policy on youth value all of the youth and as long as 1 in 5 or 6 makes it you more than cover your costs.

Look at our neighbours in S2 they have a production line of youth coming through how many of their good young players leave on the cheap and how many of them do they makes millions on - Brookes only played 30 first team games and they got £12m for him, when he broke into the first team do you think they said well lets leave it until he is into the last 6 months of his contract or did they offer him a deal sharpish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41658991 by this point last season he had barely played 10 first team games.

How dare you? Never ask me to look at our neighbours again the very thought of it, I've never been so insulted on OT.  You are dead to me. 

lol 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I’d be grateful if you could lend the club your crystal ball that told you Abdi was going to be a waste of money and not the fantastic signing EVERYONE thought he was when we got him.

Just because we have offered some daft money on aging crocks in the past shouldn’t be used as justification to spend unwisely on youth or any player.

We need to stick to a wage structure. Just where this wage structure is pitched is a tough decision you or I can’t make given we don’t know the clubs finances.

When we sign Abdi I said he was not the player we needed - we signed a player that was available rather than a player we needed, Watford raved how good he was then let us have him for £3-4m - you don't do this unless there is an issue with the player. With the amount of crocks we have signed over the last 2 season maybe there was issues with checks not being done - who knows ever team gets injuries but the amount we continue to get week in week out something still is clearly not right.

At the time he signed Fessi was getting his head turned after his first good season and Abdi was his mate apparently 

Based on our current youth policy in the last 12 months we have lost circa £4m + this is based on what we would have got for Hirst and Clare if they were under contract and went to a club in this country something that would have happened had they been in contract not out of contract. So Penney could be the next one out of the door lets hope not, lets hope the club start to value youth. I won't hold my breathe. 

22 minutes ago, torryowl said:

penney & his agent hold all the cards now …..you have to think that if we have made assurances to whoever decides on FFP  that we are going to cut our cloth then we may not be in a position to offer him what his agent knows he can get elsewhere . 

So we lose another good young player - great way to run a club.

45 minutes ago, room0035 said:

This is complete rubbish

You sign up your assets in 18 months time a championship quality left back/left winger with room to improve will fetch millions. The manager has a recruitment policy apparently to sign player between 19-23 but the club currently don't value these players and offer them year to year deal expecting the players to play lots of first team football before giving longer deals.

The club need to scrap their policy of not valuing youth and allowing players to get to the last 6 months of contracts before signing them up.

This policy last season cost the club about £3-4m with the money we would have got for Hirst and Clare had they been in contract compared to the £300,000 we actually got. We offer 5 figures salaries to players over the hill like Pudil, Loovens, Jones and then play hard ball when kids ask for a few thousand a week.

Take the money we are wasting on Abdi, we could sign up Penney, Thorniley, Baker, Neilson and still not be spending as much as we are on Adbi to sit in the stands.

Spot on..I was just about to post something similar...surely the same folk who saw it wise to offer Thornily a contract knew Penneys potential...its bloody dilatory, especially when we KNEW we were in no position to buy in the short term

Just now, sw1867 said:

What contract / money did the trufflers offer Brookes and when?

Can you clarify with 100% certainty that we haven’t already offered Penny a new contract irrespective of what has been said or not said publicly?

From the press conference today from Matt Penney mouth, I would say below if fairly clear that there is no armament contract due. 

New contract (deal runs out next summer): “I’ve not really thought about it. I’m just focusing on the games and working hard. I’d love to sign a new deal with this club.”

Just now, room0035 said:

From the press conference today from Matt Penney mouth, I would say below if fairly clear that there is no armament contract due. 

New contract (deal runs out next summer): “I’ve not really thought about it. I’m just focusing on the games and working hard. I’d love to sign a new deal with this club.”

That’s great news!

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Spot on..I was just about to post something similar...surely the same folk who saw it wise to offer Thornily a contract knew Penneys potential...its bloody dilatory, especially when we KNEW we were in no position to buy in the short term

And quite possibly they did know and have done or are doing. Everyone is making assumptions from a story in the star but we don't really know.

tenor (1).gif

• Haha 1

There was nothing about Matt Penney last year to suggest he'd even get a new contract though. Yeah he was looking good with our kids, but he couldn't make the bench in League Two. He's come out of nowhere this year. 

What you're suggesting is putting 20/21 year old players who aren't cutting it in League Two on deals until they're 24/25 years old. I'm all for investing in youth, but that's not the way to do it. 

People are being very short sighted with this one, blinded by the fact that Penney has been outstanding this season. 

3 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Abdi played 32 times in the premier league the season before we signed him and 32 times in the championship the season before. I’m not aware of any previous injury issues (happy to be corrected).

Watford FANS raved about Abdi when we signed him, Watford the club were fishing in bigger ponds hence Abdi was surplus to their requirements.

We offered Sean Clare a new contract, you and I have no idea what this included. He refused to sign it and he is now playing in Scotland unless I’ve missed something. It appears no club were offering money to buy him given nobody took him on as a free agent. What money we have therefore lost on him is pure speculation.

I do agree to a certain extent with you regarding Hirst but that has been done to death and isn’t black and white.

Had Clare signed for either Villa or Swansea we would have been due compensation £1-2m based on current Fa guidelines. Had he still been in contract he either would be playing in the first team now or he would have been sold for a fee.