Injuries - so it wasn’t Carlos

I’ll be honest I’ve laid into Carlos plenty on here about many things, including rushin players back too soon... but with Carlos long gone the injuries just keep coming. The new season is only 10 games in and by my reckoning we’ve already seen new injuries and/or setbacks for 

Matias

Hutchinson

Thorniley

Pudil

Lee

Joao

Van Aken

Fox

Winnall

Hooper

Sure I’ve also heard some of the younger lads like Nielsen and Preston have also had injuries too. Meanwhile several others are nowhere to be seen - Abdi, Westwood, Jones & Boyd. injured too or just out of favour?

Its frankly ridiculous that we only seem to have a handful of players who are capable of staying fit for 6 months in a row! I said last season when the injury crisis was at its peak that I wanted the club to come out publicly and say a thorough investigation would take place into all aspects of players fitness and rehabilitation to prevent such a crisis ever happening again. They never did, so I’ve no idea if anything happened behind the scenes, but already this season we must have one of the longest injury lists of any championship side with at least 9 players missing for tomorrow and that’s before you factor in those who are out in the cold like Westwood.

Can’t be down to Carlos now... and surely it’s not just bad luck either?!

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I’ll be honest I’ve laid into Carlos plenty on here about many things, including rushin players back too soon... but with Carlos long gone the injuries just keep coming. The new season is only 10 games in and by my reckoning we’ve already seen new injuries and/or setbacks for 

Matias

Hutchinson

Thorniley

Pudil

Lee

Joao

Van Aken

Fox

Winnall

Hooper

Sure I’ve also heard some of the younger lads like Nielsen and Preston have also had injuries too. Meanwhile several others are nowhere to be seen - Abdi, Westwood, Jones & Boyd. injured too or just out of favour?

Its frankly ridiculous that we only seem to have a handful of players who are capable of staying fit for 6 months in a row! I said last season when the injury crisis was at its peak that I wanted the club to come out publicly and say a thorough investigation would take place into all aspects of players fitness and rehabilitation to prevent such a crisis ever happening again. They never did, so I’ve no idea if anything happened behind the scenes, but already this season we must have one of the longest injury lists of any championship side with at least 9 players missing for tomorrow and that’s before you factor in those who are out in the cold like Westwood.

Thorniley & Joao are the future, the rest can be let go for me when the time comes... apart from maybe Winnall? he deserves a second chance I feel

Continually playing players through injuries, forcing them to have injections in order to play, thus resulting in the injury not being dealt with and getting worse over time, all for the goal of short term success and no acknowledgement to the longer term plan. Also a decreasing general fitness whilst he was in charge. I feel the blame lies solely with CC and his staff at the time. The old proverb ‘a stitch in time saves nine’ is all too evident here. 

24 minutes ago, oi_you_owl said:

Who was it that placed the curse on SWFC?

The Thai Monks haven't lifted it so who do we think could? Does anyone know any Shaman...

We need to move. Start a fresh, and leave these cursed waters behind.

It’s been folklore going back to when I started going that the ground was cursed.

Sounds ridiculous but with some of the stuff that’s happened over the years you have to wonder :ph34r:

Many of those bought under CC reign were of an age were injuries are more common so you can expect the trend to continue until they reach the club. When signing players it is normal to look at fitness record and see if prone to injury, this was clearly not done as we have ended up with several permanent crocks. In one or two cases it is possible the management of players during that time led to players facing longer lay offs than would have otherwise been necessary and we still have hang overs from that.

You mention Thorniley he missed one game and returned. Joao I think missed 3 games and returned. Pudil has broken nose and could have played but decision made to recover properly before risking further impact injury on that area. Matias has just been fit for longest stint of his time with Wednesday and now has hamstring injury and will return in 3 weeks.

Hooper has not played a game yet in first team for JP. His record indicates he has had a period injured each year since aged 24 /25 and from memory has averaged around 30 games a season. When looking at buying a player for the Championship which is about as physically demanding league you can get one would have thought a look at medical history would be normal procedure.

Hutchinson was acquired at a time when we had few resources and had previously been medically retired. Issue here is his contract was extended to end of next season. With injury record this was ridiculous and management must have been advised by manager at time what type of contract to give.

Van Aken is very slow and not nimble on feet. He was crashed into by Sunderland player most players would have jumped to lessen impact but he stayed planted to ground and took full impact. Similar thing happened last year. A large unit who is not suited to fast paced English football.

I was not aware Fox was injured but from some displays he could have been playing with injury.

Winnall has progressed well from injury which occurred whilst on loan and apparently will soon be playing.

Abdi who has been injured for most of last 2 seasons is now fit, a success you failed to mention :-) 

I think you're sensationalising this a little bit. Last season was extraordinary because we had 15+ players on long term injuries. This season is a little different. 

Having players out in the short term is perfectly normal. Pudil, Joao, Thorniley and Fox picking up knocks and missing a couple of games - all teams have that sort of thing. So they're not worth worrying about. Every player will go through a couple of weeks in a season where they're feeling a tight muscle, or they've taken a bit of a kick in the previous game. Some managers will give them some painkillers and tell them to carry on, others will give them a week or so to recover. Either way, it's common, so not one to count in the injury stats. 

Lee, Hooper and Winnall are still out from last season. Nothing new there. Winnall wasn't even at the club when he did his, so again, nothing to shout about there. 

Van Aken was only just back in the squad and took a right clattering. Even the fittest of players would have been at serious risk of injury there. 

Then there's Hutch & Matias. We all know the story with them. 

So really, there's nothing to worry about. Unless all of the above are out for months at the same time, it's a non-issue.  

• Like 1

Have we still got that medical team of random Portuguese people that Carlos brought in when he appeared to blame the previous staff for the squad getting a lot of injuries and sacked them?

The same medical team that we had all of last season when players kept making comebacks only to quickly break again?

17 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

It’s been folklore going back to when I started going that the ground was cursed.

Sounds ridiculous but with some of the stuff that’s happened over the years you have to wonder :ph34r:

Right! Exactly what I was thinking...Wonder where it originated from.

54 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Matias

Hutchinson

Thorniley

Pudil

Lee

Joao

Van Aken

Fox

Winnall

Hooper

Your right it's nothing to do with Carlos, it must be down to the medical team that told him that what he was doing making injured players play wasn't right, quite obviously they deserved the sack .

• Like 1