Doing it the right way

If you told me three years ago that we were putting in place a  plan and that within that plan we'd within three years- :

Given debuts and involved in first team duties Jordan Thorniley , Ash Baker ,Cameron Dawson,  Connor O'Grady , Joe Wildsmith ,Alex Hunt , Connor Kirby, Isaac Rice ,Frederik Nielsen ,Fraser Preston , Jack Lee ,Matt Penney ,Jack Stobbs would all have been named in match day squads.  (Well.... well actually the first thing I'd have done was ask you who the hell they were because 3 years ago I reckon only heard of Wildsmith and Stobbs!)

13 young lads who've been playing in the youth sides. All named in match day squads. Many of them getting on the park and playing too. Becoming regulars.

I'd have thought that was brilliant. 

If you'd told me that sprinkled into that a couple of signings which prove excellent value for money. younger signings like Reach is proving to be and Pelupessy certainly is for the absolute peanuts we paid for him.

I'd have thought Crikey. Talk about building up the foundations for a solid future!  We're going places and we're doing it in the right way.

And do you know. With patience. I still think we are. I think we're doing it right. I really do.

That's why its shame really that we spent 3 years spaffing money all over the place and now have the "problems if we don't get promoted" hanging over us because that's going to put a downer on things.

It's going to put pressure , sadly, on what is actually -at last- a proper genuine plan in place and which we can actually see.

I'm actually quite enjoying this season. Like I said. Shame the shadow lurks and is adding pressure (needlessly in the sense the club has brought it on itself) on Jos and his young players, because it is casting a shadow on what is a good plan but which needs development time. 

Time which I hope it gets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Is there such a thing as "the right way"??? Leicester and Bournmouth seem to be doing ok doing it by "dubious ways"

And good luck to them.

Each to their own.

I'm just happy with the way we're doing things now.

Wish we'd done it this way from the first day of Chaniris takeover.

Sadly I think he got caught up in the 'need it now' mentality of the modern football support.

And they in return got caught in....well....his money....and we went the way we did. 

A failed attempt at doing what others have done.

I see the issue. 

If he'd come in on day one and said "I've got billions. But I'm not going to spunk it all against a wall. I want to build things slowly and correctly" 

Folks would have been "Typical. We eventually get a rich owner and he's "Got no ambition" (which is really just fan speak for anyone who doesn't randomly spunk millions at the transfer kitty)

Isn't it..

Edited by Lord Snooty
spelling
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

If you told me three years ago that we were putting in place a  plan and that within that plan we'd within three years- :

Given debuts and involved in first team duties Jordan Thorniley , Ash Baker ,Cameron Dawson,  Connor O'Grady , Joe Wildsmith ,Alex Hunt , Connor Kirby, Isaac Rice ,Frederik Nielsen ,Fraser Preston , Jack Lee ,Matt Penney ,Jack Stobbs would all have been named in match day squads.  (Well.... well actually the first thing I'd have done was ask you who the hell they were because 3 years ago I reckon only heard of Wildsmith and Stobbs!)

13 young lads who've been playing in the youth sides. All named in match day squads. Many of them getting on the park and playing too. Becoming regulars.

I'd have thought that was brilliant. 

If you'd told me that sprinkled into that a couple of signings which prove excellent value for money. younger signings like Reach is proving to be and Pelupessy certainly is for the absolute peanuts we paid for him.

I'd have thought Crikey. Talk about building up the foundations for a solid future!  We're going places and we're doing it in the right way.

And do you know. With patience. I still think we are. I think we're doing it right. I really do.

That's why its shame really that we spent 3 years spaffing money all over the place and now have the "problems if we don't get promoted" hanging over us because that's going to put a downer on things.

It's going to put pressure , sadly, on what is actually -at last- a proper genuine plan in place and which we can actually see.

I'm actually quite enjoying this season. Like I said. Shame the shadow lurks and is adding pressure (needlessly in the sense the club has brought it on itself) on Jos and his young players, because it is casting a shadow on what is a good plan but which needs development time. 

Time which I hope it gets.

I'm not sure why people are worried about next season in terms of penalties. 10 or so senior pros on perhaps 60% of the total wage bill, will have left. 

Let's not spin the situation too much, and just accept that we've had to throw the youth in, because we've not signed anyone and many of the seniors are crocks. 

If they come good; great, i'll be the first to sing their praises. But don't pretend it is a 'plan' based on all things being equal. If we'd given JL the cash CC had, i doubt the youth would be playing.

1 minute ago, Animis said:

I'm not sure why people are worried about next season in terms of penalties. 10 or so senior pros on perhaps 60% of the total wage bill, will have left. 

Let's not spin the situation too much, and just accept that we've had to throw the youth in, because we've not signed anyone and many of the seniors are crocks. 

If they come good; great, i'll be the first to sing their praises. But don't pretend it is a 'plan' based on all things being equal. If we'd given JL the cash CC had, i doubt the youth would be playing.

They might have been thrown in at first. Because of injuries. Etc.

But make no mistake it's most definitely a plan now.

Boyd. Jones. Westwood. They're not crocks.

They just aren't being selected.  We're going down a different avenue.

We're going with a different plan. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It's starting to look realistic and sustainable at the club.

I was onboard with the mad spending because it was exciting..

It's exciting now but in a different way.

Exactly 

Rich chap comes in.

"What do you want?"

"Promotion!"

"Me too. But I've never done this before. How do we get it?"

"Spend loads of money"

" Ok then!"

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

They might have been thrown in at first. Because of injuries. Etc.

But make no mistake it's most definitely a plan now.

Boyd. Jones. Westwood. They're not crocks.

They just aren't being selected.  We're going down a different avenue.

We're going with a different plan. 

Good players will always shine through and everyone has to start somewhere. CC refused to play the 'ready' youth towards the end of his reign and paid for it. 

I have no idea if there is a 'plan' or not. You are perhaps reading the evidence and forming what you think JL is going to do this season - fair enough.

For what it's worth the likes of Boyd and Jones are not good enough - they weren't last year. Westwood is frozen out for whatever reason, and Abdi, Lee, Hutch and Hooper are long terms abesenties. After this, you're struggling to assemble a squad without the youth.

As you say, it may be a plan. I think it's dealing with the situation and cards JL has been dealt with.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

Good players will always shine through and everyone has to start somewhere. CC refused to play the 'ready' youth towards the end of his reign and paid for it. 

I have no idea if there is a 'plan' or not. You are perhaps reading the evidence and forming what you think JL is going to do this season - fair enough.

For what it's worth the likes of Boyd and Jones are not good enough - they weren't last year. Westwood is frozen out for whatever reason, and Abdi, Lee, Hutch and Hooper are long terms abesenties. After this, you're struggling to assemble a squad without the youth.

As you say, it may be a plan. I think it's dealing with the situation and cards JL has been dealt with.

The older players may not be good enough.  Though a different manager might still pick them and go with experience. 

As you say, the previous manager did. 

This one isn't. He could do. They're available for selection. But he isn't.  That's why I think it's part of a formed plan in his mind. 

He could pick a side with barely any of the kids in if he chose too. 

Whether we think they're good enough is immaterial. Half of us can't agree on the best forward line never mind the rest of the team!

Point is he could pick them if he wanted but isn't doing. 

Westwood

Palmer    Lees    Hector        Fox

Matias     Bannan    Jones    Boyd

Forestieri   Fletcher

I think there is a plan. Whether it's been drawn out on paper or whether it's nothing more than in the managers head who knows. But I'm convinced there is one. 

As I said in the O.P though. It's just shame (if there is a plan) that it might not have the time to come to fruition because of constraints that might be imposed on it because of what we've done for the previous 2.5 years.

I just hope that we manage to move some of the older higher earner on in January without having to let go of some of the gems which have been unearthed of late and which could (and i hope do) and up becoming the backbone of the Club in the next few years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stoop said:

You forgot the bit about spending about £40m on hasbeens and placing the club on the edge of financial Armageddon 

That was the bit about  "its shame really that we spent 3 years spaffing money all over the place and now have the "problems if we don't get promoted" hanging over us because that's going to put a downer on things."