THREAD BARE U23's

3 minutes ago, torres said:

For one reason or another most are in the first team squad at the moment 

We must have the most injury prone squad of all time 

So not much has improved since Carlos left then With injuries sustained by the youngsters as well, that can’t be blamed on the Portuguese

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So not much has improved since Carlos left then With injuries sustained by the youngsters as well, that can’t be blamed on the Portuguese

I was hoping this season we’d be a lot fitter on the pitch and do away with the constant annoying injuries. 

I.e once they were back they would be in for a while as long as they didn’t gain impact injuries 

Im not convinced on the pitch - maybe a slight improvement 

The annoying injuries are definitely no better 

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

How many are in the first team/squad tho? Dawson, Wildsmith, Baker, Thorniley, Penney all started last night. Plus a few on the bench. It’s no wonder they’re struggling a bit.

True enough, but none of those really start for the U23s It will be interesting to see which of those on the bench last night, were given match practice today

The players who are injured are old favourites not the under 23 players.

Hutchinson, Pudil,  Matias, Hooper, Van Aken Winnall,and Lee. Not sure about Abdi may have gone injured in sympathy.

Rice was promoted out of under 18s which indicates u/23 defenders overlooked and so was Fox.

Think you will find u/23 has most of normal faces in team.

I remember in the 90’s

We had players like Newsome and Wetherall who couldn’t get a sniff at first team level

The reserves with those two in the side won the central league Championship

The two players I mentioned went on to have fine careers away from Wednesday

With so many kids in and around the first team, we’re forced to have a weakened development squad

It is what it is

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

22 hours ago, gurujuan said:

A lot has improved actually.

Last season there were anything up to 16 injured players at any one time, there is nothing like that now.

The youngsters have missed odd games only, Thornilly with a minor calf strain and already ok.

Baker perhaps after pulling up with what looked like a strain.

Pudil has a broken nose..regular thing for central defenders, and Matias withdrawn as a precaution with a tight hamstring.

Both expected ok Wednesday

Lee and Hooper are the long term ones (Hutchinson and Abdi seem to be fit but not selected, not sure as Hutch saw the Spanish physio a couple of weeks ago)

I dare suggest some have misunderstood the thread. Thanks to the coaching set up of the junior support coaches our results have taken a backward step due to a good few of our youngsters taking a forward step. Once players like Thornley and Penney get squad contracts we can start again; Constantly rebuilding so we have a supply chain. 

I think a few are ready to make the step up from U18s to U23s, Jordan O'Briens turned 18 now, and doing very well. A few others from the new batch of scholars I think have been on the bench for U23s, rather than U18s. Performance wise, I think they're just suffering from the current ins and outs. Once we move some up I can see a bit of a rebalance. 

32 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

I think a few are ready to make the step up from U18s to U23s, Jordan O'Briens turned 18 now, and doing very well. A few others from the new batch of scholars I think have been on the bench for U23s, rather than U18s. Performance wise, I think they're just suffering from the current ins and outs. Once we move some up I can see a bit of a rebalance. 

I don’t know what yesterday’s side was, but none of those youngsters playing regularly for the firsts, featured for the U23s during their good run

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know what yesterday’s side was, but none of those youngsters playing regularly for the firsts, featured for the U23s during their good ru

Was thinking more of Wallis out on loan, and such as Baker, Lee, West and Preston moving between the 2. 

Edited by daztheowl

On 29/09/2018 at 20:04, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I remember in the 90’s

We had players like Newsome and Wetherall who couldn’t get a sniff at first team level

The reserves with those two in the side won the central league Championship

The two players I mentioned went on to have fine careers away from Wednesday

With so many kids in and around the first team, we’re forced to have a weakened development squad

It is what it is

The reserve team used to have jemson and Watson up front every week banging them in as well.

reserve football is a massive loss to the game