Penney

He’s a good player We have a lot of good players, perhaps as many as Leeds, they just need to be allowed to play At the moment, we aren’t seeing how good they are, because they are constrained by our tactical approach

Edited by gurujuan

More Reach than Forestieri.

Got a bit of cockiness creaping into his game suppose that comes with the confidence he has. 

couple of times he took on one to many or tried flicks when simple ball on. 

Does run forward with the ball forward wonderfully well though.

Carlos would have give him a chance things may have been a lot different. needed that after Helan went.

1 hour ago, jack whitham said:

Very quick feet and good control...think he would make a very good midfielder.

I think he can play any position down that left side. He looks to be by far the best out and out left back at the club whilst he plays the wingback role well. He also looks to be a superb left sided midfielder. Hes not shy of a tackle and his ball control is fab. He also regularly dribbles through four or five players BUT he does need to learn when to move the ball on (ie as happened on occasion against Leeds).

Overall Penney = future Owls legend

47 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

More Reach than Forestieri.

Got a bit of cockiness creaping into his game suppose that comes with the confidence he has. 

couple of times he took on one to many or tried flicks when simple ball on. 

Does run forward with the ball forward wonderfully well though.

Carlos would have give him a chance things may have been a lot different. needed that after Helan went.

I agree with the Reach comparison.  I think they both have an intelligence about their play and have to say Penney shows a calmness on the ball way beyond his years and experience. 

Perhaps its iunfair to make comparisons, but take Palmer as a comparison. Liam has played 100s of first team matches, but I still don’t see him as a proper footballer. Sure he’ll protect your right hand side, but there isn’t any instinctive footballing brain about his game.  Apart from last night all I’ve seen of Penney has been the extended highlights on YouTube, but I 100% get why  Wednesday fans are so positive about the lad.  

Anyone who has played the game will know that Penney will have earned a lot of respect from his team mates last night.  In games like this it’s easy to go missing and not want the ball, but Penney strikes me as the sort of lad who wants to take responsibility and make something happen.  In an ideal world it would bring much needed balance if we could find a right footed ‘Penney’ for the right back slot.  

Quality left sided players are a rich commodity; Wednesday really need to get this lad on a lengthy contract. We don’t want to see another of our Crown Jewels stolen for peanuts.

Amazes me that this lad has been lurking in the u23s and out on loan whilst we have struggled for a left back for 2 season's.

He is either playing well above himself and being very lucky...or some managers just couldn't spot a player if their lives depended on it.

That goes for the managers at the club's he went on loan too also.

1 minute ago, trev said:

Amazes me that this lad has been lurking in the u23s and out on loan whilst we have struggled for a left back for 2 season's.

He is either playing well above himself and being very lucky...or some managers just couldn't spot a player if their lives depended on it.

That goes for the managers at the club's he went on loan too also.

He has improved hugely this season From people I know who watch the youngsters, he was pretty decent going forward, but not very aware defensively. That is the side of his game that has improved dramatically

Excellent prospect but exploited by Leeds last night.......... Ayling bossed him in the second half.

Not a criticism, he’ll have learned massively from last nights match and his development will benefit immensely.

Some need to temper their enthusiasm and some of the OTT comments on here are just ridiculous........ he’s an excellent prospect but no more at the moment!

22 minutes ago, BigOwl said:

I think he can play any position down that left side. He looks to be by far the best out and out left back at the club whilst he plays the wingback role well. He also looks to be a superb left sided midfielder. Hes not shy of a tackle and his ball control is fab. He also regularly dribbles through four or five players BUT he does need to learn when to move the ball on (ie as happened on occasion against Leeds).

Overall Penney = future Owls legend

Also has a great shot and can take a good free kick.

3 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Excellent prospect but exploited by Leeds last night.......... Ayling bossed him in the second half.

Not a criticism, he’ll have learned massively from last nights match and his development will benefit immensely.

Some need to temper their enthusiasm and some of the OTT comments on here are just ridiculous........ he’s an excellent prospect but no more at the moment!

Very true, but the key thing for me is his bravery... he doesn't hide away and constantly looks to express himself and play "his way". That strength of character is almost as important as his ability, which he clearly has a fair bit of. Couple that with a manager and assistant manager that have a reputation for getting the best out of young talent and I think the lad has a heck of a future ahead of him. 

10 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

All about opinions but I didn’t see that last night. Personally I thought he had a solid game last night and if Ayling was on top in the second half I reckon it was more a reflection of Leeds being on top rather than Ayling besting Penney. 

Perhaps we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves, but I can’t recall feeling as positive about one of our youngsters for a long time.

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Very true, but the key thing for me is his bravery... he doesn't hide away and constantly looks to express himself and play "his way". That strength of character is almost as important as his ability, which he clearly has a fair bit of. Couple that with a manager and assistant manager that have a reputation for getting the best out of young talent and I think the lad has a heck of a future ahead of him. 

Oh and shout out to people like Bullen. He may not have 'clout' in the game per-se for coaching, but over the last year or so he's shown to have a real rapport with the youngsters. Coupled with his passion for the club and history of working with the youth team and you've got someone that's instilling the right attitudes into a lot of the academy graduates... as seen by the likes of Baker, Thorniley et al... and even (despite his disloyalty) Sean Clare, all of whom don't try and hide away on the pitch.