Not sure about the way we play

Their manager out coached our manager. They had a game plan and their players made it work, they pressed high, closed down in packs and made things happen, they earnt the right to play and caused us many problems.

Our game plan didn't work, you are of course always going to get ups and downs with the younger players we have got, but i feel Jos didn't help their cause by having them play in the exact same way in the second half as we had in the first, thus we kept making the same mistakes and creating ourselves mxny problems. Yes L##ds are a good side but i felt Bielsa easily had Jos measure tonight.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Their manager out coached our manager. They had a game plan and their players made it work, they pressed high, closed down in packs and made things happen, they earnt the right to play and caused us many problems.

Our game plan didn't work, you are of course always going to get ups and downs with the younger players we have got, but i feel Jos didn't help their cause by having them play in the exact same way in the second half as we had in the first, thus we kept making the same mistakes and creating ourselves mxny problems. Yes L##ds are a good side but i felt Bielsa easily had Jos measure tonight.

Probably, but we rushed cpasses out from the back, several times, took the wrong option...Sometimes play it down the line instead of across in front of the back 4 when there are other options.

That bit in the second half when Adthe drifted past two on the right and then squared to one of their midfielders to run onto had me screamin'

Edited by asteener1867

I think some are exaggerating Leeds' performance.

They looked a decent side alright, especially in the 2nd half, but I thought we caused them a decent number of problems in the first half too when we at least seemed to have an attacking plan.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

We came up against a team probably three times a good as us 

they were more athletic, agile, were a yard faster, just all round better 

If Leeds continue to play like that they’ll walk the league like wolves last year 

The major difference between the sides is, they have a good coach who brings out the best in their players He’s tactically excellent 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

We came up against a team probably three times a good as us 

they were more athletic, agile, were a yard faster, just all round better 

If Leeds continue to play like that they’ll walk the league like wolves last year 

They're not going to win the league. They'll be knackered by Christmas if they carry on playing at such a high tempo.

I thought that Leeds looked excellent tonight. Fast, nimble, all good on the ball, intricate, pressed and harried us out if the game. I realise that we are trying to adopt a style of our own, but sometimes you need to go back to basics and ruffle their feathers a bit more. We tried to play out from Dawson numerous times, and Leeds' high press forced errors time and time again. Why not go long and by-pass their dominant midfield from time to time, to keep them guessing? Also, when we press their defence, do so with conviction and numbers when appropriate, rather than the token effort of a couple and let them play through us. It's difficult when you're being outplayed, but sometimes you have to take the fight to them and unsettle them. 

• Thanks 1

We're a working progress. Nowhere near the finished product. Sometimes as well you have to say another side have come and played well. Leeds a good team, they'll win plenty of games like that one tonight. Thankfully from our point of view they didn't and we got a decent point.

• Like 1

The difference between us and Leeds were the managers

Don't get me wrong I like Jos and so far he has done a good job especially showing faith in the youth and giving them a chance, but we sit back and invite pressure where as Leeds press and attack

They were fitter and quicker to every ball. At times we couldn't get near them

Edited by IWEDFM
  • Thanks 1

Jos seems to set up to counter the opponent rather than having a particular footballing philosophy and trying to outplay the opposites a la Carlos. For example today we changed formation several times and move players around to try to stop Leeds playing. Carlos had his best players in positions where their teammates knew they would be. We played better passing football then but it was less flexible than Luhukay’s approach.  Both strategies have their merits. One effect of jos’ way is that we now look better against the lower placed teams in the division, but we struggle to outplay the better teams.

We need Hooper back to his best.

We need to maintain possession further up the field.

We need his passing in and around the box.

As for Leeds, they lack the fire power for top 2.

An automatic promotion team would have won that game tonight.

Bielsa is doing well with what he has to work with, but they'll not maintain that frenzied style all season long.

No team could, and in the end the teams with better all-round players will come to the fore.

It's reminiscent of Monk's Leeds, two seasons ago.

Mind you, it makes you wonder what Bielsa could do with a side like Stoke, for instance.

2 hours ago, robswfc said:

Jos seems to set up to counter the opponent rather than having a particular footballing philosophy and trying to outplay the opposites a la Carlos. For example today we changed formation several times and move players around to try to stop Leeds playing. Carlos had his best players in positions where their teammates knew they would be. We played better passing football then but it was less flexible than Luhukay’s approach.  Both strategies have their merits. One effect of jos’ way is that we now look better against the lower placed teams in the division, but we struggle to outplay the better teams.

Carlos outplay the opponents , do me a favour ! He had one tactic , if it worked , great, if not he was screwed . 

All I know is , we are a bang average side picking up decent results . That will do me.

incidently, we seemed to look worse yet again with king forestieri in the side , like the owlstalk know it alls have been clamouring for . Personally I’d rather have Matias in the line up .

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

We are a work in progress. 

All the hallmarks of a team who will finish about 12th/11th imo, unless we start to find a bit of consistency with our results/performances. 

In saying that, tonight, I think we came across a very good side and managed to grind out a point. 

4 wins

2 draws

1 defeat

14 points from our last seven.

I’d describe that as very consistent.

Horror start to the season for some reason. Certainly seems to have found our way since.

3 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

The difference between us and Leeds were the managers

Don't get me wrong I like Jos and so far he has done a good job especially showing faith in the youth and giving them a chance, but we sit back and invite pressure where as Leeds press and attack

They were fitter and quicker to every ball. At times we couldn't get near them

Why you have got negged for this, I don’t know. Absolutely correct. We basically sat off them and gave them too much respect. We defended deep in that first half and it was like we were trying to close the gaps from our defence to our keeper.

Negative game plan from Jos resulted in a very poor performance. 1-1 draw, however if should’ve been around 4-1.

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Carlos outplay the opponents , do me a favour ! He had one tactic , if it worked , great, if not he was screwed . 

All I know is , we are a bang average side picking up decent results . That will do me.

incidently, we seemed to look worse yet again with king forestieri in the side , like the owlstalk know it alls have been clamouring for . Personally I’d rather have Matias in the line up .

100% 

Lucky to get a draw. Conceded possession too easily. Don’t think there was one string if more than three passes. Seemed to get the ball and no one was making space for an easy outlet. Seemed to be content to let them run at us and not close them down until they were in our area. Lucky and I hope we don’t repeat the way we played.

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Transition season

New ways of working

Blooding young players

We are overachieving if anything 

Good result tonight against a very very good side who might well get promoted 

If Leeds were that good they would’ve hammered us last night given the way they played. No one’s mentioned that their keeper had to have a decent game or they might well have lost?

I think it all starts without the ball, if you don't press the opposites, they can rest on the ball. 

That means they can dominate possession and then run us ragged when we have the ball. 

Leeds and Forest played the same way against us and got results. 

We are inconsistent under Jos and havent found a style or formation that works every game.  Lot of chopping and changing.