Dawson

Just now, wakefieldowl said:

To be fair Dawson has been beaten by two outstanding goals in the last two matches. He us a great prospect, do doubt, but it seems madness to ditch Westwood.

How many clean sheets did he keep?

Jos or westy need to sort this out seriously. 

We need some clean sheets ffs

Yes but tonight repeatedly flapped at crosses, missed punches and fumbled shots ... Need experience of Westwood especially behind such a shaky defence... ZERO clean sheets in 10 league games is shocking 

2 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

To be fair Dawson has been beaten by two outstanding goals in the last two matches. He us a great prospect, do doubt, but it seems madness to ditch Westwood.

How many clean sheets did he keep?

Jos or westy need to sort this out seriously. 

We need some clean sheets ffs

Aaaggghhhhhh

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Dawson is work in progress and he's doing ok 

The main concern is Forestieri..

All at Sea no skill tonight 

Looking for nothing but fouls n set pieces 

Not a 90 minute player at the moment ..

We played with 10 men tonight. He is not our best player he's got to be an impact player for us ..

The team is more important than the individual. ...

Christ I've read some poo on here over the years but this has to go straight in at number 1

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Yes but tonight repeatedly flapped at crosses, missed punches and fumbled shots ... Need experience of Westwood especially behind such a shaky defence... ZERO clean sheets in 10 league games is shocking 

Look at the last two goals Dawson let in ..

Gordon Banks with the world champion bricklaying team would not have saved them 

We won two to one and drew 1-1 where is your logic ?

23 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

, not sure who is telling him to go short. 

I'm surprised someone with such little knowledge of football comes on a forum such as this....is it not obvious to you that it's the bloke on the Kop nearest the wall who shouts at him to give it short all the time once the game starts.

You'd think the manager would be fed up of it as well wouldn't you.....can't understand why he doesn't drop him for continuing to do it......unless.....

• Haha 3

Logic is he put loads of pressure on defence numerous times .. came for crosses and missed, was pure luck he didn't cost us a goal tonight, we keep high line from defending free kicks, to do this keeper needs to come dominate crosses he doesn't.  Watch tonight's game back and count times he fumbled or came for crosses and missed

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Logic is he put loads of pressure on defence numerous times .. came for crosses and missed, was pure luck he didn't cost us a goal tonight, we keep high line from defending free kicks, to do this keeper needs to come dominate crosses he doesn't.  Watch tonight's game back and count times he fumbled or came for crosses and missed

It wasn’t his best game that’s for sure

BUT

Whilstever it doesn’t cost us games that’s fine as he learns his trade / role

Owlstalk Shop

There’s the argument that says he’s only been beaten by 2 amazing strikes in the last 2 games..

Then there’s the argument that revolves around him giving confidence and organising the team in front of him that could impact on how the overall team play.

He's obviously playing because we can't play Westwood for whatever reason.

Is he a bad keeper no, he's young and has bags of potential, but at the moment he's just not ready.

There's such a lack of communication which nearly cost on a couple of times, his coming for a ball from crosses seems awful and overall it just puts no confidence into the back 4 and it shows we look so nervous and mistake prone and the back.

That said, we can't do much about it we have to back him and hope he learns quickly, we were close to going 3rd tonight which with the selection of players we have brought in youth wise has to be a massive plus.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Can someone show me the goals he let in that he should have saved?

This anti Dawson campaign needs to stop 

The stats totally back Dawson vs the experts calling for his head 

I would never call for the lad's head so hear me out. I appreciate and respect the talent coming through from the U23's and I think this is a positive.

My point is - are our young keepers ready enough when we have Westwood in the wings? I have friends supporting many other Championship clubs who, like me, cannot understand how such a commanding, experienced and talented keeper has been left in the cold.

I've nothing against the kids, and would never criticise their performances to date, but really, why not have Westwood at the heart of our defence, for his command of the box, f we are serious about challenging the best sides?

After Bannan, he would be my first name of the sheet. And that is not to disrespect the young talent coming through, as they have done really well.

I thought he was poor tonight and it was a tough watch at times. But we didn't lose. He is young and is a talent. Afraid we are not the finished product and this is likely to be a frustrating season but will hopefully  allow several of our younger players to develop.  It is frustrating at times (and I was one of many moaning about  his distribution in the second half ) but we all need to cut him and the other younger players some slack or we will ruin them...

Wildsmith has cost us about 5 goals with proper clangers so far in his short owls career and hasnt taken half the stick on ere that Dawson has took this season, 

Dawson is better than wildsmith,

Dawson isnt better than westwood from one/two years ago.

Dawson is better than what Westwood would be if he came back into the first team in the next game.

Westwood hasnt had anything like the right match sharpness/competitive games to be anything like up to scratch.

would it be a good idea to let KW find his feet during first team games? is their any guarantee KW can get back to his old self?

right now, Dawson is the right man for the job. 

• Thanks 1

He lacked confidence tonight and when he came for some crosses it was heart in mouth moment 

He'll get better with experience no doubt about it but let's be honest whilst Westwood is at the club picking up a wage he should be playing

He lacked confidence tonight and when he came for some crosses it was heart in mouth moment 

He'll get better with experience no doubt about it but let's be honest whilst Westwood is at the club picking up a wage he should be playing

Goalkeeper is not a position that you can allow someone to grow into, no other play is going to be able to mop up mistakes like if Baker or Penney make a mistake. Nothing he did tonight put confidence in the defence, looked certain to fumble and makes wrong decisions such as punching a floating ball right to a player on the penalty spot. He will be a first team regular in the future but currently he isn't ready to be a starting championship goalkeeper. Everything he does installs a shoot on sight attitude to attackers minds and this is causing shots to be taken like tonight that turn into goals. If he had looked steady on handling,short stopping and distribution you could argue their goal tonight the shot may not have been taken if he hasent looked so obviously out of his depth and lacking the ability to be assured in his work in goal.

Looked very shakey tonight, doesnt seem to shout much and it nearly cost us an own goal.

Makes decent saves though and I still see him becoming a really decent keeper but tonight he was pretty dodgy and when you have a keeper like that the defenders seem to make rash decisions too.

Offnight ?