Gary Cahill Linked

flash

Wouldn't want this, to be honest. Villa had Terry and he cost them a fortune. Unless Cahill takes a massive wage cut (because he wants to play for Wednesday before he retires) then it'll be far too much a risk when it comes to FFP.

5 minutes ago, e6owl said:

Wouldn't want this, to be honest. Villa had Terry and he cost them a fortune. Unless Cahill takes a massive wage cut (because he wants to play for Wednesday before he retires) then it'll be far too much a risk when it comes to FFP.

10k a week and 3m lump sum if we go up and he makes x amount of appearances.

One year extension on 20k a week with 3m lump sum if we stay up.

Been watching my lad on Fifa 19 all night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can see this having legs personally. Whether he has or not is another question but at just turned 33 in January he should still have a good 18 months in him and would easily be one of best centre backs in Championship.

It's been a while since we've had a good centre back threat from corners and set pieces, something he is very good at.

Put myself in his shoes, I've made multiple millions (as long as I haven't got an obscene gambling problem), I'm a massive Owls fan and it's not about the money anymore, sod it, I'm up for it.

I genuinely think this will start happening more because the exponential rise in wages over last decade will mean that the argument of a short career means they get what they can means very little.

Players who've played at his level for a prolonged period will have made tens of millions of pounds, equivalent to a normal person winning the Euromillions.

30 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

One man doesn't make a team. We thought that about FF and look what's happened there,

Waste of money, save that, and ensure the young uns stay here.

REBUILD !!!!

Top post, on Gary’s current salary you could recontract Penney, Thornley, Dawson, Wildsmith, Preston, Matias, Palmer and A few more.... even if he wanted to play for free it moves from being a financial cost to one of a development cost as it restricts Thornley’s minutes. 

At beginning ings of season he wanted to stay and fight for his spot at Chelsea so I’d guess he won’t fancy dropping too low in January, lazy journalists for me! 

2 minutes ago, Tommy owl said:

If we had the chance you have to consider it surley his experience would bring the young lads and on leaps and bound that and at his age he still has a good few years to give.

So at beginning of season when we were staring at ffp and embargo owlstalk was almost in complete agreement that our policy of buying / signing players at end of their career, with little to no resale value and would demand above average salaries was the cause of our worries and now, three months in this is a great idea!?! 

Im not sure if it’s the romance of Gary being an owl or shortsightedness or maybe we are gluttons for punishment. 

Interesting though to to see all the support of signing a 33 year old that’s on in excess of 100k at the moment in a time where we have to strip back more than 10m of losses to avoid an embargo or points deduction next season.