Leeds or Sheffield United

Living in York, there are lots of Leeds fans who've remembered that they support Leeds again this year. They all mock Man United fans who aren't from Manchester, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they're from York and support Leeds. The weekend where the Yorkshire Post have to accept that maybe Leeds aren't going up this year is one of my favourite times of the whole year. I strongly dislike Leeds, but it's not a patch on that lot.

12 minutes ago, PopePiusX said:

Living in York, there are lots of Leeds fans who've remembered that they support Leeds again this year. They all mock Man United fans who aren't from Manchester, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they're from York and support Leeds. The weekend where the Yorkshire Post have to accept that maybe Leeds aren't going up this year is one of my favourite times of the whole year. I strongly dislike Leeds, but it's not a patch on that lot.

The reporting in the "YORKSHIRE POST" Seems fair and mostly balanced , to me, and this newspaper covers the whole of Yorkshire, and beyond.

I think you may be referring to the 

"YORKSHIRE EVENING POST"

And their Leeds bias.

This paper is mostly sold in and around Leeds and therefore has definite leanings towards Leeds  (their business is sell ing newspapers,  after all.)

I have no connection with either Newspaper, but it is important that we understand that they are not the same thing !

3 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

Your explanation is almost exactly how an Etymologist explained it in a Radio interview I heard ast week. She said it’s a common misconception that the term has been extended to non local rivalries, instead it is the word local that was added later.

Living in North Yorkshire and surrounded by Leeds fans I can confirm they have little interest in us beyond the actual game being played. Can’t say that about United fans.

We obviously heard the same interview!

Pigs obviously.

Leeds are just another team really. It's great to beat them but unless we're playing them I don't even concern myself with their result to be honest.

Pigs on the other hand, I always check their scores while I'm checking ours. Always puts icing on the cake of our wins if they lose and helps make a loss slightly more palatable if they've dipped as well. 

And a couple of them at work have just grunted something to me about an anniversary too.

UTO

FTB

50 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

The reporting in the "YORKSHIRE POST" Seems fair and mostly balanced , to me, and this newspaper covers the whole of Yorkshire, and beyond.

I think you may be referring to the 

"YORKSHIRE EVENING POST"

And their Leeds bias.

This paper is mostly sold in and around Leeds and therefore has definite leanings towards Leeds  (their business is sell ing newspapers,  after all.)

I have no connection with either Newspaper, but it is important that we understand that they are not the same thing !

The Yorkshire Evening Post is just Leeds really, so that's meant to be a bit biased. The Yorkshire Post isn't, but its refusal to accept that Leeds are perhaps not dead certs for promotion every February really is a joy to behold.

I hate playing United with a vengeance. It’s just not a pleasurable experience in any way. It turns your guts to custard.

I hate being in the same league as them knowing I’ve got to go through the trauma twice a year.

Form means sod all and it’s just a case of who turns up on the day. 

I like to beat Leeds but I like to beat Rotherham and Barnsley so to me it’s about the same.

There is NO comparison at all.

42 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

I hate playing United with a vengeance. It’s just not a pleasurable experience in any way. It turns your guts to custard.

I hate being in the same league as them knowing I’ve got to go through the trauma twice a year.

I like to beat Leeds but I like to beat Rotherham and Barnsley so to me it’s about the same.

This sums it up perfectly for me. Losses to that lot are only slightly less traumatic now I don’t live and work in Sheffield.

Despise them both, the Blunts probably have the dubious honour of being slightly worse though. At least playing Leeds is entertaining because their fans desperately refuse to acknowledge that it's their biggest game of the season, they can shout about Man U all they like but they haven't played in donkey's years and have pretty much forgotten they exist.

20 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

This 100%.

I can't control my nerves when playing that lot across the city and I'd go as far as saying I despise the experience, made even worse when you are on the losing side. It's very rare that I let a game of football dictate my mood and emotions but the Sheffield derby is an exception. I can't focus, I can't enjoy the atmosphere and I'm constantly checking the scoreboard for a time update praying for it to go faster. Defeat means having to endure gloating from workmates, family, neighbours etc., for the foreseeable. A victory provides me with a feeling of relief as I can dish it out the other way.

In contrast, Leeds is also just like playing Barnsley or Rotherham for me. It's a rivalry and that adds to the build-up, but it doesn't come close to the experience of a Sheffield derby. I'll be able to enjoy the game and I'm quite looking forward to it on the back of an impressive result against Villa.

32 minutes ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

This 100%.

I can't control my nerves when playing that lot across the city and I'd go as far as saying I despise the experience, made even worse when you are on the losing side. It's very rare that I let a game of football dictate my mood and emotions but the Sheffield derby is an exception. I can't focus, I can't enjoy the atmosphere and I'm constantly checking the scoreboard for a time update praying for it to go faster. Defeat means having to endure gloating from workmates, family, neighbours etc., for the foreseeable. A victory provides me with a feeling of relief as I can dish it out the other way.

In contrast, Leeds is also just like playing Barnsley or Rotherham for me. It's a rivalry and that adds to the build-up, but it doesn't come close to the experience of a Sheffield derby. I'll be able to enjoy the game and I'm quite looking forward to it on the back of an impressive result against Villa.

The thing is, mate, that I don’t actually hate THEM, I just loathe PLAYING them.

Ive never subscribed to the piggy scummy poopydoo school of thinking. I think a lot of older supporters don’t have that hatred in them.

If you’re a Sheffielder you’ve got some United somewhere in your family. My ex wife came from a family of Lane season ticket holders, my partners late dad was the same and a Senior Blade to boot.

I’ve got good mates that support them. All I’ve ever experienced is good natured banter.

Dont get me wrong, I get wound up like everyone else if Wilder or Sharp are spouting but I know if it was one of ours doing the same I’d love it.

All of this doesn’t detract from the fact that I still find actually playing them unbearable.

Doesnt make sense. I’m retired, I’m not going to get any stick off anybody that I’m likely to see but my brains will be scrambled in the build up and on the day itself.

Just hate the whole experience.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Derbyshirelad said:

You're kidding right ?

I've seen stewards in the North Stand stand idly by while glass bottles were thrown at Leeds fans.

All team's supporters have their share of cretins. If you think SW hasn't then you are not looking.

Er, yeah - I was quite obviously kidding.

Nice rant, though.

:duntmatter:

19 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

The thing is, mate, that I don’t actually hate THEM, I just loathe PLAYING them.

Ive never subscribed to the piggy scummy poopydoo school of thinking. I think a lot of older supporters don’t have that hatred in them.

If you’re a Sheffielder you’ve got some United somewhere in your family. My ex wife came from a family of Lane season ticket holders, my partners late dad was the same and a Senior Blade to boot.

I’ve got good mates that support them. All I’ve ever experienced is good natured banter.

Dont get me wrong, I get wound up like everyone else if Wilder or Sharp are spouting but I know if it was one of ours doing the same I’d love it.

All of this doesn’t detract from the fact that I still find actually playing them unbearable.

Doesnt make sense. I’m retired, I’m not going to get any stick off anybody that I’m likely to see but my brains will be scrambled in the build up and on the day itself.

Just hate the whole experience.

My feelings exactly. Don't like them but being of the older generation can but up with most of their supporters except on match days. One exception is Brian the blade of radio Sheffield infamy. I would really like to Twatt him and I'm in my 70's.

• Haha 1