Leeds or Sheffield United

9 hours ago, Ian said:

The term "Derby" is derived from the horse race of the same name and means an important game......the word local was added over the years to give more detail i.e. It's an important game because of the geography of both teams

Over the years the "local"  has been dropped with most people taking "derby" to automatically mean a local one, however technically Man United v Liverpool is as much a Derby as Everton v Liverpool 

recent variations (all be it in a humorous manner) include such games as "claret and blue derbies" (villa v Burnley), Steve Bruce Derbies (Hull v Villa) etc

Your explanation is almost exactly how an Etymologist explained it in a Radio interview I heard ast week. She said it’s a common misconception that the term has been extended to non local rivalries, instead it is the word local that was added later.

Living in North Yorkshire and surrounded by Leeds fans I can confirm they have little interest in us beyond the actual game being played. Can’t say that about United fans.

Well, because of my knowledge of both Leeds United fans and Sheffield United fans, I have to say that I consider the Leeds lot to be the worst of the two.

Some Leeds fans are stuck in a 70's/80's Football Hooligan time warp and victory over them is always something very special !

As for the question of whether Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds is a Derby......

Of course it is.....

It's a YORKSHIRE DERBY....

The Honour of being the top team in Yorkshire, is, something that matters to many in our great county.

As for the Blades......

They never have, and never will be , the top team in Yorkshire !

If there's any evidence needed that Leeds isn't a derby see the hugely subdued goal celebrations after the 3-0 win last year (week after losing to the pigs). Each goal felt like a consolation goal celebration when you're 5-0 down.

No one gave a crap and it felt the general feeling was annoyance that we'd not played the same way a week prior.

5 hours ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

Proper derby, Liverpool vs Everton? You sure?  Their fans practically sit next to eachother.

You could've used Newcastle vs Sunderland as a better example, the Merseyside derby is awful.

Pretty sure if you asked and Liverpool or Everton fan they’d mostly disagree with that

Guest Bulgaria
11 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Grew up in Sheffield and been working in Leeds for the last 20 years.

Leefs fans are a different breed. They have a sense of entitlement that generates nastiness when they dont get their way.

Full of bile leading up to a game, crawl under their rocks if they don't win.

Purely cos of their fanbase,  I'd rather United  did well as opposed to Leeds. When all is said and done , you can have a laugh with most Blades. After all, they're from Sheffield.

Totally agree.

Most of my good friends are blades, when we beat them, i dont rub it in and visa versa, always good banter but nothing malicious.  Dont get me wrong, i always want us to do much better, but i love being in the same league as them and why would i want my good pals to be upset when they lose?

I would have no issue with them being runners up to us this year!

Leeds on the other hand, really dont like em and wish they would drop like a stone.

Guest Bulgaria
59 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

What a ridiculous debate, Leeds isn't even a derby. They don't care about us, the fact we sing about them makes me cringe. Leeds are just like Huddersfield to me.

Aye.... give us summat more interesting to talk about.... give us some updates on your crusade for the ladies team at swfc:stuwinky: