Leeds or Sheffield United

1 hour ago, addedtime said:

I know what you mean. There's rivalry and there's nastiness.

Grew up in Sheffield and been working in Leeds for the last 20 years.

Leefs fans are a different breed. They have a sense of entitlement that generates nastiness when they dont get their way.

Full of bile leading up to a game, crawl under their rocks if they don't win.

Purely cos of their fanbase,  I'd rather United  did well as opposed to Leeds. When all is said and done , you can have a laugh with most Blades. After all, they're from Sheffield.

• Like 1

I don't class leeds as a derby, they prob feel the same, not reyt keen on dem blades either but it is a real derby.

But, assuming we were promoted as champs I would rather the blunties came up with us, rather than leeds.

That's not saying I want them to go up, more any foookers bar leeds

Blades are the bigger game and hands down the one I'd prefer to win.

Leeds have their cretins as we all do. Few fair points on here about their fans believing they're entitled to be in the Premier League.

However having lived and worked in Leeds for the last decade, as much as it pains me to say this...

They really don't give a flying flip about us. Certainly not how we do about them anyway.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

The term "Derby" is derived from the horse race of the same name and means an important game......the word local was added over the years to give more detail i.e. It's an important game because of the geography of both teams

Over the years the "local"  has been dropped with most people taking "derby" to automatically mean a local one, however technically Man United v Liverpool is as much a Derby as Everton v Liverpool 

recent variations (all be it in a humorous manner) include such games as "claret and blue derbies" (villa v Burnley), Steve Bruce Derbies (Hull v Villa) etc

Cheers for the education.

My fave is the M6 derby between Carlisle and Coventry.

What a load of codswallop!

• Haha 1

It’s a totally different bag o’ shybo.

The true Sheffield derby for me really goes back to school age, literally 8 or 9 years old, when all football matches ever were on Saturdays - so there was the Friday before at school, then matchday (& Sunday to gloat/sulk), and then the Monday after...and you’d properly crap yer pants Monday regardless of result:

1) Derby day eve, Friday at school, when the ‘banter’ (ugh, sorry, awful word but it’s literally what it was in this case) would basically reach fever pitch. There was slagging and ribbing all year round, but derby day eve,twice a year, was when it got DARK - “if x/y/z happens tomorrow, we’re gonna x/y/z your lot on Monday” - and you’d go home that afternoon feeling almost as nervous about winning as losing

2) Derby day itself, when you’re not in school and you’re going to the match (probably with your dad or big brother) and you’re full of it and only want to win, and if you do it’s like Christmas, and if you don’t it’s like actual death

3) Sunday after derby day, where because there’s school tomorrow, it starts to get nervy...if you won, you start feeling a kind of happiness hangover - a great joy, but also stormclouds gathering even as you celebrate - and if you lost, it feels like you’ve been caught shoplifting but not told yer ma yet. Either way, that night you’re having your Sunday bath and you get that big butterflies feeling ‘cos you have to go to school in the morning, and if Owls won you might really get the shybo kicked outta you - and if Blunts won, same

4) Monday after derby day, and everyone’s pooing themselves and you stick to your tribes all morning and nobody crosses the rubicon. If you won, of course you big it up in the corridor when there’s 7 or 8 of you all together, but sooner or later you’re on your own & you keep your eyes down to avoid an angry beating. If you lost, you stick to the shadows and just try to get through the day in one piece, and it’s hard mate, it’s brutal.

5) Tuesday after derby weeekend - and you’re all back playing footy together, picking teams and being totally all mixed in together, and your arch rival that day is whoever’s kicking in the opposite direction at lunchtime - Owl or Blade - and whoever’s on your side, Owl or Blade, is your blood brother forever (for one hour)

6) rinse, repeat for sixth months, and then UH-OH DERBY DAY AGAIN

lollol

You’ll note I’ve not mentioned Leeds ‘cos nobody gave a toot about ‘em back then. Now, as an adult, the Blunts rivalry is so deep in my veins it’s irreversible...but let’s be honest, I’ll happily have a pint with any and all those Unitedite kids I used to kick a ball around with, and I’ll actually enjoy the mick-ripping and feel a sense of shared bipartisan suffering ‘cos we all lived the exact story above, year in year out...so different, but basically soooooo the same.

And then there’s Leeds, who I have no particular axe to grind with in the same way, and who might as well play on the moon for all the Leeds fans I ever meet where I live - but who, as an otherwise rational grown-up man, make me feel queasy and angry and sad all at once, like I just ran over my own dog giving the mother-in-law a lift home and now she wants me to look at her holiday photos and I just wanna set all her awful sh*t on fire.

In summary:

f**ckng Blunts though  :tango:

f**king Leeds though  :angry::angry::angry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

It’s a totally different bag o’ shybo.

The true Sheffield derby for me really goes back to school age, literally 8 or 9 years old, when all football matches ever were on Saturdays - so there was the Friday before at school, then matchday (& Sunday to gloat/sulk), and then the Monday after...and you’d properly crap yer pants Monday regardless of result:

1) Derby day eve, Friday at school, when the ‘banter’ (ugh, sorry, awful word but it’s literally what it was in this case) would basically reach fever pitch. There was slagging and ribbing all year round, but derby day eve,twice a year, was when it got DARK - “if x/y/z happens tomorrow, we’re gonna x/y/z your lot on Monday” - and you’d go home that afternoon feeling almost as nervous about winning as losing

2) Derby day itself, when you’re not in school and you’re going to the match (probably with your dad or big brother) and you’re full of it and only want to win, and if you do it’s like Christmas, and if you don’t it’s like actual death

3) Sunday after derby day, where because there’s school tomorrow, it starts to get nervy...if you won, you start feeling a kind of happiness hangover - a great joy, but also stormclouds gathering even as you celebrate - and if you lost, it feels like you’ve been caught shoplifting but not told yer ma yet. Either way, that night you’re having your Sunday bath and you get that big butterflies feeling ‘cos you have to go to school in the morning, and if Owls won you might really get the shybo kicked outta you - and if Blunts won, same

4) Monday after derby day, and everyone’s pooing themselves and you stick to your tribes all morning and nobody crosses the rubicon. If you won, of course you big it up in the corridor when there’s 7 or 8 of you all together, but sooner or later you’re on your own & you keep your eyes down to avoid an angry beating. If you lost, you stick to the shadows and just try to get through the day in one piece, and it’s hard mate, it’s brutal.

5) Tuesday after derby weeekend - and you’re all back playing footy together, picking teams and being totally all mixed in together, and your arch rival that day is whoever’s kicking in the opposite direction at lunchtime - Owl or Blade - and whoever’s on your side, Owl or Blade, is your blood brother forever (for one hour)

6) rinse, repeat for sixth months, and then UH-OH DERBY DAY AGAIN

lollol

You’ll note I’ve not mentioned Leeds ‘cos nobody gave a toot about ‘em back then. Now, as an adult, the Blunts rivalry is so deep in my veins it’s irreversible...but let’s be honest, I’ll happily have a pint with any and all those Unitedite kids I used to kick a ball around with, and I’ll actually enjoy the mick-ripping and feel a sense of shared bipartisan suffering ‘cos we all lived the exact story above, year in year out...so different, but basically soooooo the same.

And then there’s Leeds, who I have no particular axe to grind with in the same way, and who might as well play on the moon for all the Leeds fans I ever meet where I live - but who, as an otherwise rational grown-up man, make me feel queasy and angry and sad all at once, like I just ran over my own dog giving the mother-in-law a lift home and now she wants me to look at her holiday photos and I just wanna set all her awful sh*t on fire.

In summary:

f**ckng Blunts though  :tango:

f**king Leeds though  :angry::angry::angry:

Brilliant post!

I can relate to the weekend then Monday morning school return so much.

Happy (terrible) memories.

• Haha 1

Im surprised this is even a question!!!

Leeds have some proper scrubber fans and always act like full on red bulbus ends but that alone is about the only thing that bothers me about them.  They dont register with me unless we are about to play them and I soon forget about them once we have finished playing them until the next fixture comes around!

The truffle hunters on the other hand are classless cumbuckets and the build up to the game begins a good month or two before and just gets worse the closer it gets!!  We all get that gut wrenching feeling in our stomachs for the last couple of days leading up to the game and its horrific when the day actually arrives and doesnt leave you until the final whistle!!  No other game gives you that much stress!!!

We all have to go back to work with the scruffy trotters and listen to them bleating on about bouncing day and bobbar like that, but we still have boxing day and the semi final which trump that although it is pretty annoying nonetheless.

For me, its not even remotely close!

6 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

The Sheffield United match is a proper derby - like Liverpool vs Everton, Rangers Celtic etc.

Leeds isn’t a derby - it’s a local rivalry, so the atmosphere will be different. 

Portsmouth and Southampton hate each other - but it’s still a rivalry and not a derby in the true sense. 

Proper derby, Liverpool vs Everton? You sure?  Their fans practically sit next to eachother.

You could've used Newcastle vs Sunderland as a better example, the Merseyside derby is awful.

Guest The Claw
10 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Having a bit of a discussion about which derby is the most heated.  I think the Steel City Derby is, without question, the most satisfying one to win.  However, there is just something about the Leeds derby that gives it a hostile, almost nasty feel.  

I've been to loads of Steel City Derbies both at Hillsborough and the Lane.  There are some muppets on both sides, but there is just something about the Leeds fans and our matches against them that is a bit different.  

Anyone get where I'm coming from, or is it just my own bad experiences?

2 teams in the city of Sheffield the other aint weeds!