Bruce Grobelaar

24 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Article about him on the BBC - he’s had a pretty interesting career and life to say the least. 

He had a stint here in ‘97 but I don’t recall ever seeing him play for us.

..does anyone have any memories of him here? 

yeah
He played in our reserves and I saw him concede one of the weakest goals I've ever seen at Hillsborough

Was an absolute joke of a goal

But yeah I remember him here

Owlstalk Shop

I remember him signing for us, although I don't think he ever played a game.

Saw him play at non-league level in the late 90s (for someone like Chesham Town - the chairman was a friend of his do did it as a favour). He was quite short for a keeper as I recall...

Was our sub keeper away at Manchester Utd one year. We got gubbed, pretty sure whittingham scored for us and we went crazy in the away end at about 5-0 down.

Sure he was doing hand stands on the pitch at half time. 

Edited by Maddogbob

24 minutes ago, Onge said:

Saw him play at non-league level in the late 90s (for someone like Chesham Town - the chairman was a friend of his do did it as a favour). He was quite short for a keeper as I recall...

It was indeed Chesham. I saw him play there against Aldershot Town, he must have been late 40s and still ridiculously good, we could have played all night and he wouldn't have conceded. 

Also it was after his bung scandal and we away fans pelted him with fake cash and being the great character that he is he took the banter really well and scooped up the notes and stuffed them down his shorts. 

2 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

Once of the best keepers I've ever seen. Eccentric, supreme confidence and agility.

Can't remember him at S6 though

I always thought he was a bit of a liability who was never far away from a howler …...but over  400 games & 19 trophies for Liverpool probably indicates your right and i'm wrong .

2 hours ago, Albertowl said:

He might as well have been playing for us the day he tried to tackle Varadi on the half way line (slight exaggeration) - what a day that was. No room to breathe in the corner and we talk about the “scenes” in the away end yesterday!

I was crushed that day, the worst experience I've ever had.

Won 2 - 0 though, what a day.

2 hours ago, Onge said:

The Chairman of Chesham was Jess Conrad, a pop star from the sixties. I can remember being at a charity do with him and Jim Marshall the loudspeaker man. 

• Like 1

I remember him with us - not sure if I actually saw him play. It was after the bung scandal wasnt it?

Wasn't it Grobelaar at Liverpool when they were rumoured to be bidding for Tim Flowers. Grobelaar ran out that day, threw a bunch of flowers in the net and said that's the only flower going in these nets.