Biased pundits etc

For me, the Reach goal last season was better. Villas looked more spectacular cos it hit the bar. they always do, yes, it looks great. But Reach looked up, picked his spot with more accuracy and hit it just as good, in my opinion better because it arrowed in with inches to spare. A hairs breadth higher and the Villa one hits the bar and comes out.

Anyway, all these goals are wonderful to see, but, in truth, are really hit and hope. The best goals are the ones after a superb passing movement involving a few players and creating a tap in.  Jimmy Greaves scored nearly all his goals from close range, Bobby Charlton never looked up, he just blasted it in the right direction. One of the most iconic goals of all time was for Hursts hattrick and he admits he was booting it into the stand to waste time.

Anyway, they all count!

9 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

Why is it that Bannan smashes that goal against Millwall and yehrr he wins goal of month etc and people did say it was good but why now Villa player scored IDENTICAL goal does everyone seem to be going wild over it sky sports just now saying I’ve never seen a goal as good etc all news snippets I’ve seen going on and on about it.

is it cause it’s against us or summat??? People never seem to react the same with us as they do others or am I imagining things ??

I’ll be surprised if McGinn’s strike isn’t goal of the season if I’m honest. If I’d scored that,  people would get bored of me talking about it. 

20 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

For me, the Reach goal last season was better. Villas looked more spectacular cos it hit the bar. they always do, yes, it looks great. But Reach looked up, picked his spot with more accuracy and hit it just as good, in my opinion better because it arrowed in with inches to spare. A hairs breadth higher and the Villa one hits the bar and comes out.

Anyway, all these goals are wonderful to see, but, in truth, are really hit and hope. The best goals are the ones after a superb passing movement involving a few players and creating a tap in.  Jimmy Greaves scored nearly all his goals from close range, Bobby Charlton never looked up, he just blasted it in the right direction. One of the most iconic goals of all time was for Hursts hattrick and he admits he was booting it into the stand to waste time.

Anyway, they all count!

Technically, Reach’s was much easier. It was also easier for him to accurately aim

1 hour ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Anyway, they all count!

if you had played football you would know which goal required the better technique and it wasn't reach's

11 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

Why is it that Bannan smashes that goal against Millwall and yehrr he wins goal of month etc and people did say it was good but why now Villa player scored IDENTICAL goal does everyone seem to be going wild over it sky sports just now saying I’ve never seen a goal as good etc all news snippets I’ve seen going on and on about it.

is it cause it’s against us or summat??? People never seem to react the same with us as they do others or am I imagining things ??

I prefer that we are under estimated long may it continue

12 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

In general terms OP has a point.  The SWFC page on BBC Sport website is all about Steve Bruce not resigning.  No quote from Jos etc. 

Some clubs / personalities are more favoured in the media. 

Basically the points I’m trying to put across lol bad example used with the goal but you got the idea lol 

13 hours ago, Watson said:

All goals are subjective, it whatever flicks your switch.  If you take your bias out of the equation pretend it was scored against another club then I  would think most people would agree it was a goal worthy of goal of the season. 

Subjective doesn't seem to be a word nowadays..

Everything has to be binary...You agree with me or not.

The world is run by thick f@ckers with no time to think through things.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, McRightSide said:

If anyone thinks McGinn would trade that goal for an extra 3 points they are so naive.

Wins come and go, a goal like that is a once in a lifetime event

I disagree. Yeah it was a good goal but you’d want 3 points wouldn’t you? I know Steve Bruce would. 

As for the owls, I get the impression that the rest of the country views us as an unfashionable club from an unfashionable area of the country, the same for any other club around these parts. It’s just snobbery 

Like it or not, Bruce's future is the story out of the game. He nearly left the club in the summer, pressure is mounting from new owners and the fans are turning against him. Had we been up near the top of the table it might have been different. But midtable Wednesday winning isn't the news line I'm afraid.

On 23/09/2018 at 12:55, steveraper said:

I can't pull any fit, blonde 18-year-old birds. Is it because of an anti-Wednesday bias, especially on Sky?

.........it was one of the best goals I've ever seen in my life.

No, it's because you're so f'ing ugly  :laugh:.

Was a good goal mind.

Some of our fans really do have a victim complex when it comes to the media. It's quite embarrassing.

The fact is, in the eyes of the press, we're nothing to shout about this year. We finished 15th last year and haven't spent anything in the summer. At this point, we're probably seen to be mid-table. We've won a few, drawn a few and lost a few. Absolutely nothing to get excited about. 

Aston Villa on the other hand, despite their apparent financial woes at the end of last season, assembled one of the most expensive and technically impressive sides in the history of the division. 

Their failure to beat a mid table team is a glossier headline than a mid table team winning a game. 

And that goal. Regardless of the final result, it was one of the best bits of football you'll see this year in any division. It deserves to be the lasting memory of that game.