Holte End

19 hours ago, stevewhiterose said:

Was in there today, as we'd sold out. What a blinkered bunch the Villa fans are. Really got the feeling they think the Championship is beneath them. Well on that performance, they'd better get used to it.

What did you expect? They're right flaps

6 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

It’s a weird one with Villa.

On one hand, f*ck em. Tried to throw money at it and swing their weight about with no strategy or respect for the league and it’s backfired. Tough. 

On the other.. look at the f*cking state of the Premiership. Huddersfield vs Bournemouth and Cardiff vs Fulham. Enough is enough. I’m about ready even for Leeds to go up (as long as we aren’t too long waiting to follow).

We'll be in the PL before Leeds.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, zico.b said:

@stevewhiterose what was the noise like from those of us on the away end please?

When you're stood in it, you generally think it is loud, but from the Holte End..........?

I once stood on the anfield kop when Wednesday sold out 91/92 and our fans put theirs to shame.

Wednesday fans have always travelled and made a racket.

40 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I’ve a lot of time for Villa, and the Baggies, and Wolves too for that matter

Proper clubs with proper support

I can’t stand Birmingham though, they’re nasty bar stewards

Wolves are okay when they are on a roll but when they are struggling they disappear, that last game of the season at molineux it was half empty.

To be fair the vanilla fans are just going through the same shyte we have gone through but as for their fans they are no more arrogant and deluded than some of our lot who also seem to think we are still this huge massive club when in fact we aint no more, we are nothing more than a big stale regional club going no where fast...

villa and leeds will be back in the prem before us...

well that's my opinion anyway..lol

12 hours ago, Redfern Froggatt said:

Fletcher & Nuihu more pace than Abrahams and Bolasie!  On todays performance more attacking threat definately but pace - never in a million years

I was there mate and the Villa fans were bang on.

Re-read my post again, they said our team attacked with more pace via Reach, Matias and later Joao, plus our midfield closing down and passing was slicker and more incisive but you carry on being negative.

What kind of a person would say Nuhiu attacked with pace anyway? I didn't and they didn't.

Sort thissen ahht!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vulva said:

35,000 indicates decent support. And we have had stands closed for years, so we can't talk. 

Aston Villa are a great football club. Nothing wrong with them, and we've never had any major issues with them. I see their relationship with Birmingham as similar to ours with United. It's like an aristocracy and land peasant set up. Having to swat them away with a copy of Harpers and Queen on a regular basis, throwing them old bread, chicken carcasses and 3 day old milk. 

Problem is we’ve been dining with the peasants far to long, so much that we have become one of them, we bought a ticket to dine at the the top table, problem Is we hired the court jester to use our inheritance to buy the ticket & now we look like having to sell the family jewels to pay for it.

WTF criticising their support at 35k? That’s a great turnout at this level, plenty of our lot would be creaming themselves if we could muster these levels for the visit of the some lesser clubs.

Be interesting to see what support many clubs would get after 20+ years in the doldrums though. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Whats wrong with thise fixtures?

It doesnt matter the size of the club and they are there on merit.

Our fans sneer at these clubs who have bypassed us.

Its ridiculous

Firstly, I'm a neutral observer of the Premier League until such time as we are in it, and therefore my only interest in the division is as a product I find interesting to watch and follow. I'm not interested in sentimental sh*t, stories or merit. I want to see the biggest and best clubs in the country competing. I wouldn't watch much of what Sky serve up as a "Super Sunday" if it was going on in my back garden.

Secondly, "there on merit". You sure about that? Does your version of "there on merit" include Bournemouth's breach of FFP the season they went up?

As I alluded to, I'm not even a particular fan of Villa and I can't stand a single thing about Leeds, but I'll stand by the Premier League being a better competition and more interesting to me as a viewer with them (and others, including us) in it instead of some of the dross that's been there since.

You want a closed shop then where a Premier League only has so called big clubs.

Therefore no so called smaller club gets a chance in the top division.

That is ridiculous and would kill football competely.

I take it you wouldnt mind us going up breaching FFP.

And how do you know us or Leeds would play better football or be more interesting.

There have been smaller clubs more interesting football wise than the likes of Everton

Strangely I agree with both Sheffield Dave and Belfast Owl. 

I too would prefer the so called bigger clubs back in the Premier League  (especially as by general consensus it includes us).

But you can not take away the opportunity for  the likes of Huddersfield, Burnley, Fulham, (maybe Brentford) as Belfast says it would kill football completely.

In answer to the question would us, Leeds,  Villa, etc play better football? 

No not necessarily BUT as a fan (who goes to all home games) I much prefer the visits of Leeds, Villa and other big supported clubs than say a top of the table Fulham or Brentford who play better football.

So in  that perspective to me (and others as these games generally are our biggest crowds outside the Derby) they're more interesting.

Just because I  (and probably Sheffield Dave) would prefer to see the "bigger" clubs all in the Premier League, doesn't mean we want a closed shop.

Nor am I knocking the smaller clubs who have earned their place in the Premier, I just think the likes of us, Leeds, Villa would be more interesting for other fans. 

Edited by OWL1969

3 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Firstly, I'm a neutral observer of the Premier League until such time as we are in it, and therefore my only interest in the division is as a product I find interesting to watch and follow. I'm not interested in sentimental sh*t, stories or merit. I want to see the biggest and best clubs in the country competing. I wouldn't watch much of what Sky serve up as a "Super Sunday" if it was going on in my back garden.

Secondly, "there on merit". You sure about that? Does your version of "there on merit" include Bournemouth's breach of FFP the season they went up?

As I alluded to, I'm not even a particular fan of Villa and I can't stand a single thing about Leeds, but I'll stand by the Premier League being a better competition and more interesting to me as a viewer with them (and others, including us) in it instead of some of the dross that's been there since.

Completely agree with this

Id rather see PL fixtures like Forest v Leeds and Villa v Wednesday over Bournemouth v Burnley or Huddersfield v Brighton any day 

The tv money has completely twisted the game in this country 

On 23/09/2018 at 09:21, vulva said:

35,000 indicates decent support. And we have had stands closed for years, so we can't talk. 

Aston Villa are a great football club. Nothing wrong with them, and we've never had any major issues with them. I see their relationship with Birmingham as similar to ours with United. It's like an aristocracy and land peasant set up. Having to swat them away with a copy of Harpers and Queen on a regular basis, throwing them old bread, chicken carcasses and 3 day old milk. 

I wasn't being serious with that comment. lol

In fairness we were pretty arrogant in League 1.... “we’re Sheffield Wednesday, we do what we want”!!!

Like others have said, I like Villa. A proper club, bags of history and tradition and a fantastic ground.

I’d love this match to be a Premier League fixture next season.

5 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

You want a closed shop then where a Premier League only has so called big clubs.

Therefore no so called smaller club gets a chance in the top division.

That is ridiculous and would kill football competely.

I take it you wouldnt mind us going up breaching FFP.

And how do you know us or Leeds would play better football or be more interesting.

There have been smaller clubs more interesting football wise than the likes of Everton

No, I don’t want a closed shop.

I want the big teams back.

The novelty of watching smaller clubs go up and give it a shot wore off years ago. 

I think the product - because that’s what it is - is better if it’s got more of the big clubs in it. And some of them haven’t been in it for 20 years. It’s time for the balance to change again.

Villa, West Brom, Sunderland.

Three clubs there who you would arguably have in the top flight if we were going on tradition and fan bases alone.

But, let's not forget for a long time they were three of the most boring sides to watch when they were in the top flight.

Blackpool tried and failed, but at least did it trying to entertain. Eddie Howe's Bournemouth are often involved in decent games and I can't see Fulham giving up on their way of playing this season either. Swansea, with Rodgers and then Laudrup played some cracking stuff, again another club who don't match up in terms of stature with half of the Championship let alone the top flight.

It's not all about the size of club, it's how they try and play the game. Newcastle do nothing but sit ten behind the ball in home games against anyone decent, but judging by some folk it makes for a better league because they've got 52,000 people in the ground singing their heads off.

Always liked Villa as a club and their fans. 

I don’t think their Chairman did them any favours though (in the eyes of other people), really outspoken and arrogant about their transfer clout, which has, ironically, quite recently backfired. Which makes me reflect closer to home and appreciate what a GOOD chairman we have in Chansiri. 

Edited by AwokenGiant