Crewe Alx U18s 2 v 2 Wednesday U18s

This certainly was a game of two halves with Wednesday boys battering CA in the first half. Two goals from Liam Shaw saw the young owls take that lead into half time. The first goal was a terrific run by O’Brien on the right wing go pass defenders and put over a terrific weighted pass to find Liam Shaw at the back post to slip home his first. The second goal was good work by Charlie Hagan on the left to knock down a good ball for Shaw to score from the 6 yard box. O’Brien, Hagan and Hamoud never gave the Crewe defence a minutes peace abiliy assited by a solid midfield and defence. The second half seen CA come out fighting and they pulled one back midway through the first half and i must say imo the ref seemed to favour CA for decisions in this game and indeed awarded a penalty to CA what seemed like the 95th minute which the CA player duly dispatched into the net.   Despite protestations by the Owls players about the award, the ref blew immediately after the goal for full time. It was definitely two points dropped the youngsters will feel the same way. The unbeaten run continues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Yeah no worries. Liam Shaw played really well today in midfield and was always looking to receive the ball from his fellow players. Liam took up good positions for both goal and was unlucky with two other strikes from outside the box in the first half. The only blot for Liam was that he was adjudged by the ref to have pushed the CA player when both were going for the high crossed ball in the 6 yard box and imho it was a hard decision. Liam is growing in stature each game after a long time out through injury. He’s one to look out for in the future.

• Thanks 3

Really appreciate Mr O'Brien's reports on game. He is obviously trekking all round the country watching his lad and really envy him especially as playing well. You can expect off days for team and performances at this level but sounds as though a touch unfortunate.

Shaw did really well prior to being injured and was the bright spark of the team until that point delighted he is now returning to form as injuries at this age can often have detrimental effect. Stobbs was our brightest star of his age group got injured and in my opinion not reached level he was at since returning. Lonchar was also the standout of his age group and then got injured and has not shone as brightly since returning but is doing better so absolutely great news about Shaw.

Think team were weakened as both Grant and Waldock played for u/23s on Friday night and both received complimentary remarks from Neil Thompson (only players to do so) which I think shows current bunch of U/18s are a bit above the norm. Also Dawodu came on as sub so assume all 3 missed this game. If so shows we have reasonable squad depth at this level.

• Like 1

Hi John

A good friend of my father has a grandson who made the step up to the Under 18 squad this season, namely Elliott Vasalo.

It's hard enough getting recognised but as you know the hardest part is taking it even further. Good luck to all the lads.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quist said:

Really appreciate Mr O'Brien's reports on game. He is obviously trekking all round the country watching his lad and really envy him especially as playing well. You can expect off days for team and performances at this level but sounds as though a touch unfortunate.

Shaw did really well prior to being injured and was the bright spark of the team until that point delighted he is now returning to form as injuries at this age can often have detrimental effect. Stobbs was our brightest star of his age group got injured and in my opinion not reached level he was at since returning. Lonchar was also the standout of his age group and then got injured and has not shone as brightly since returning but is doing better so absolutely great news about Shaw.

Think team were weakened as both Grant and Waldock played for u/23s on Friday night and both received complimentary remarks from Neil Thompson (only players to do so) which I think shows current bunch of U/18s are a bit above the norm. Also Dawodu came on as sub so assume all 3 missed this game. If so shows we have reasonable squad depth at this level.

Thank you Quist. Its about 2 hours from my home in Corby to Middlewood and more if the team are playing further up but it is a pleasure to watch all of these boys play and i went over to Portugal to watch their pre-season fixtures and to get away from the wife for a few days. Jordan was excellent first half yesterday but a stomach bug with cramps curtailed his movement in the second half. 

• Thanks 1