Penney

deano

15 minutes ago, malek said:

It wasn't Carlos who gave him contract, and Penney was back then better then those two, and deserving of a chance to prove what he can do.

So, to clarify, Carlos signed all the crap players, and someone else signed the good players?

The anti Carlos mob on here are a very odd bunch. 

8 minutes ago, cowl said:

It's odd that we'd not seen Penney in the first team before this season though.

He's been with us right from the juniors and when someone doesn't make even the bench before being 20 it's almost inevitable that they'll be released at the season's end, and even if they do make an appearance it'll be obvious that they're quite limited.

Absolutely not so with Penney though. I don't think I've ever seen a player come up through our ranks and be this good despite being 20 before they make the first team.

Hard not to be critical of CC for not involving him whilst still here. He only left 10 months ago after all, and God knows left back had long been a problem position for him beyond his first season with us.

This.

Just now, vulva said:

So, to clarify, Carlos signed all the crap players, and someone else signed the good players?

The anti Carlos mob on here are a very odd bunch. 

Nowhere near what I wrote there, is it. But I blame him for not giving fair chance to Matt Penney in his time with us.

Thank God he is a huge Wednesday fan, and decided to sign new deal with us despite getting constantly overlooked.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

And I'm telling you that he was ready to get a chance. In any case better then signing couple of poor back up left backs. How can anyone stand up for signing of those two is beyond me...

And what if Carlos was manager when Penney signed his first pro contract ?! It is not him who offered him deal, or recommended him for one.

you telling me means feck all ….you champion every young player we have  had since i ve been on here and finally one of your tips looks like coming thru instead of ending up at worksop town .so excuse me if i'm a bit sceptical  

Just now, malek said:

Nowhere near what I wrote there, is it. But I blame him for not giving fair chance to Matt Penney in his time with us.

Thank God he is a huge Wednesday fan, and decided to sign new deal with us despite getting constantly overlooked.

Devils advocate would point out he went to Mansfield and Bradford and couldn’t get a game. So that’s 2 more managers other than Carlos who didn’t think at that time he was ready for even League 2, never mind a side that reached the Championship playoffs twice in 2 years. 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

you telling me means feck all ….you champion every young player we have  had since i ve been on here and finally one of your tips looks like coming thru instead of ending up at worksop town .so excuse me if i'm a bit sceptical  

And what other young players I championed ? Yes, that Luke Boden should get first team chance, and he did and was voted our young player of the season. And me wanting him to get chance was based mostly down to Potter O'Connor CM partnership I was sure will get us relegated. And they did.

Yes I stood for likes of Whelan and Brunt while you and others like you on here called them crap, and wanted them out of the club.

Anyway, whatever I write on here is just my opinion, and I wont apologize for it.

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread, as it is supposed to be about young player doing really well, not arguing with you.

6 minutes ago, malek said:

And what other young players I championed ? Yes, that Luke Boden should get first team chance, and he did and was voted our young player of the season. And me wanting him to get chance was based mostly down to Potter O'Connor CM partnership I was sure will get us relegated. And they did.

Yes I stood for likes of Whelan and Brunt while you and others like you on here called them crap, and wanted them out of the club.

Anyway, whatever I write on here is just my opinion, and I wont apologize for it.

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread, as it is supposed to be about young player doing really well, not arguing with you.

good coz your talking pony ….the fact that I wasn't on owlstalk while Whelan & brunt played for us sort of confirms it 

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Not harsh really, Thorniley is a great young talent, Penney though has far less experience and is a player we are looking at already as a 100% first teamer. 5 first team apperances

Thorniley is only a year older and has already made 17 first team appearances. I think Thornily is in the same class as Penney.

Remember Thornily came in at a sh*te time last year and did really well. 

10 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Thorniley is only a year older and has already made 17 first team appearances. I think Thornily is in the same class as Penney.

I'm not slagging Thorniley. Just saying Penney has had zero professional experience and taken to it like a duck to water.

Penney has taken his chance really well,got a bit of a roasting for half an hour of the stoke game,but came back stronger 2nd half,which showed character,hes strong offensively and showed he has quick feet today,was a real thorn down the left,hel get stronger with games,still learning this league,but looks a big assett

27 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

15 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I'm not slagging Thorniley. Just saying Penney has had zero professional experience and taken to it like a duck to water.

I agree with both posts.  

6 hours ago, Philb125 said:

As a Welshman I’m biased but reminds me of Bale coming through st Southampton. If he develops half as much as Bale did he’ll be a star.

Fortunately Penney isn’t playing for Southampton or Liverpool would be sniffing around already.

Hopefully he stays under the radar this season and gets us in the top 6 - then he will stay with us in the premier league next season 

Needs offering a deal now and a good one, him and Thorniley are our future defence wise all we need is a leader in the mould of Lyons or loovens unfortunately lees good a player as he is isn’t a great organiser . I also think baker has a future he just needs time. Different players develop at different speeds 

6 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Pretty much all my comments from the match thread are repeated in here.

Yes, he’s a proper footballer.

Yes, he will be a big premiership star.

I suspect at some point not far off, we’re going to have to fend off big bids for him.

Fingers crossed he isn’t poached by one of the robbing Premier league outfits loaded up with Sky money

Marco Van Basten says he reminds him of Karl Heinz Schnellinger lol

• Haha 1