Barry Bannan

Who's this 'Pelupessy' then? Isn't he the chap everyone has been blaming for the poor performances recently, and calling for his blood?

As for Bannan, whilst I agree he's been our best player fo some weeks now, but watch him closely. He's certainly not the star people are pinning their hopes on. When he's in defence (often and one of his roles) any ball to him is returned immediately. He plays with his back towards the opposition too much, and his shooting, though much improved this year, is on a par with JJ's

Yes, I'm a Bannan fan, but am not as starry-eyed as most of us.

I would have loved to see Joey DM, Bannan CM, Onomah CAM last night, with Reach rested (I'm not going to slag Reach off because something is not right with him, he was outstanding at times last season and at a minimum you usually get energy and drive from him maybe he does need a couple of games on the bench).

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I agree with your OP.

Ive no problem with Reach-Bannan-Onomah, but Bannan-Onomah-Reach had two out of three playing out of position. Bannan is the perfect quarterback to start our attacks from deep. Onomah was given that role tonight, dropping deep to take the ball off Dawson, and doesn’t have Bannan’s invention....who does?

sorry me old mate but "quarterback" is  docking offence 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Who's this 'Pelupessy' then? Isn't he the chap everyone has been blaming for the poor performances recently, and calling for his blood?

As for Bannan, whilst I agree he's been our best player fo some weeks now, but watch him closely. He's certainly not the star people are pinning their hopes on. When he's in defence (often and one of his roles) any ball to him is returned immediately. He plays with his back towards the opposition too much, and his shooting, though much improved this year, is on a par with JJ's

Yes, I'm a Bannan fan, but am not as starry-eyed as most of us.

To be fair he has been doing the business for us in the last few weeks hasn't he.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

The any of the front 4 knew how to receive a ball, control it, and then play it we would have been ok.

Our issues weren't the 2 in the middle in my opinion - it was the 4 up front who all played well below an acceptable level.

Good point. 

Joao, Matias, Reach and Nuhiu were poor. Only Fletcher held the ball well without getting dispossessed or falling over.

In all fairness Jos was trying to encourage others to take extra responsibility when showing and completing forward passes using BB as an example. JL never said to use Bannan less or to not pass to him. The difference between what Jos actually said and what the majority of OT users are interpreting what JL said are different worlds apart.

There was a passage of play against Forest where we were passing it around the back four, and pivot-playing with Bannan and Onomah... Forest pressed and we ended up moving the ball through the zones with Thorniley. He had the opportunity (one of only a few on the night) to slide Matias in down the channel (potentially risky as he was out of position), but chose to stop and pass to Bannan. Bannan didn't have the space to be able to do any thing apart from pass backwards and was therefore not the best or easiest option. Bannan had a go at Thorniley for doing this, and so he should. So should Matias.

When Jos spoke of using Bannan too much, he was referring to this type of situation, and not about trying to remove him from the game.

Edited by DuncOwl

Ultimately I looked at it like this. We didn't really get Bannan on the ball as much as we have been. due in main to Pelupessy not being there I believe. All our front four were terrible. So there must be a reason for that. we can't have all 4 of them all turn in a rating of 4 or 5. We just didn't have any way of turning our defensive play into attacking play.

Bannan and Onomah both played far to deep and the link between the midfield and attack. Reach. he can't really do that job when questions are asked against better opposition who see more of the ball. 

We need Bannan next to Pelupessy and Onomah in the Reach role.

However Pelupessy is the key to this midfield trio working. without him we get that.