Pressing high up the pitch

H2Owl

2 games now in Stoke and Forest where we’ve been reluctant to press high up.

We seem to give the opposition all the time in the world on the ball at the back allowing them to play at their pace and dictate play.

Both these teams tried to play out from the back from goal kicks and we simply let them. Press the opposition high up and force them to go long where we at least stand a chance of winning it back.

I can only presume this is tactical from Jos, but it’s infuriating. We struggle to get a foothold in games because through large spells we aren’t dictating play at our pace, we’re playing at the oppositions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

First we need to get the ball up from Dawson rather than play short balls

Forest covered us playing the ball out from the back well tonight.

More than one occasion when Dawson had to go long with it because they were pressing so high when he had it.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Talk of pressing is becoming really tedious.

On here last week I saw someone even talking about how we applied a ‘false press’

Another person talking about someone chasing a through ball as a ‘high press’

And today it was 'No press'

lol

• Haha 1

First half I thought there was very little in it. Most of the football was rattling around the midfield with neither side really getting much rhythm. First goal would be key and they only got that from a set play. 

Problem was we just didnt even really respond and put them under sustained pressure as we couldn’t keep the ball. Nuhius pass to no one before the second goal typified this.