Nuhiu

I base my opinion on Nuhiu having watched him for over 4 years, not based just on last nights performance.

It's tended to be chance for Nuhiu, missed. Or balled played into, end of attack! The myth that he wins headers and holds the ball up is incorrect and just an assumption by people cos he's a big man. He actually doesn't do either.

I was criticised at the end of last season for saying I didn't think he deserved a new contact. The fact was that 12 decent games (ish) over a spell of over 4 years, didn't warrant a new deal and it was a great chance to get him off the books.

Most strikers over a career will have a short purple patch at some point and the end of last year was his. I've nothing against the guy, he's just not good enough. Those suggesting that his poor form now is because he's got a contact, well that's utter garbage IMO.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

As things stand at the moment, not re-signing Nuhiu would have left us with Joao, Fletcher (still returning from months out and injury prone anyway) and Forestieri (not really suited to the centre forward role in Luhukay's preferred formation). At a push Matias (another with an extensive record of absence) could be considered as well. Hooper might be ready in a couple of weeks but how confident are we he'll be available the rest of the way? Winnall could be fit in a month or two but what of the rumours about his attitude and the dispute with Forestieri?

That can hardly be described as 'over loaded'.

You know how we've had to re-jig the defence and midfield and bring in the kids to cover, we could have done that too with the forwards.

1 hour ago, bazapeps said:

I base my opinion on Nuhiu having watched him for over 4 years, not based just on last nights performance.

It's tended to be chance for Nuhiu, missed. Or balled played into, end of attack! The myth that he wins headers and holds the ball up is incorrect and just an assumption by people cos he's a big man. He actually doesn't do either.

I was criticised at the end of last season for saying I didn't think he deserved a new contact. The fact was that 12 decent games (ish) over a spell of over 4 years, didn't warrant a new deal and it was a great chance to get him off the books.

Most strikers over a career will have a short purple patch at some point and the end of last year was his. I've nothing against the guy, he's just not good enough. Those suggesting that his poor form now is because he's got a contact, well that's utter garbage IMO.

Agree with most of that.

On the final point however, I suspect if someones pay day is coming to an end and they desperately want a new one, they'll work harder and most probably produce their better work. That goes for people in any walk of life. I know if I was on a fixed term contract that was reviewed towards the end, I'd be breaking my balls the last few months if I wanted an extension to the contract. Footballers will, even subconsciously, be the same.

I don't believe a professional - whatever the job - would put in average work upon receiving a new contract, but naturally you might go back into a lull due to the security you've just been rewarded with. That's just human nature.

1 hour ago, hawksmore said:

You know how we've had to re-jig the defence and midfield and bring in the kids to cover, we could have done that too with the forwards.

What if the manager doesn't rate the forwards as highly? He is the fourth of them to put a certain degree of trust in Nuhiu even if some supporters don't share it. As I recall, it's the likes of Thorniley and Penney that had been getting the best reviews from those who watch the youngster's games. Some weren't particularly convinced even by George Hirst, never mind the lesser known strikers. Borukov has started to earn some attention but I've no idea  how good he might be.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

What if the manager doesn't rate the forwards as highly? He is the fourth of them to put a certain degree of trust in Nuhiu even if some supporters don't share it. As I recall, it's the likes of Thorniley and Penney that had been getting the best reviews from those who watch the youngster's games. Some weren't particularly convinced even by George Hirst, never mind the lesser known strikers. Borukov has started to earn some attention but I've no idea  how good he might be.

'certain degree of trust in Nuihu' earlier you were going about his lack of game time in previous years, under previous managers. 

Really only Jos has actually given him a fair crack of the whip which to date (going by your previously mentioned barometer) he's repaid thus far, despite a few uninspiring performances of late. Being completely honest and fair here, to really judge Nuihu he needs that consistent run in the team even when we're not playing great. 

The actual real problem with him is his lack of versatility in comparison to the likes of Hooper who can drop deep and influence a game, Joao who can play either side in a front 3 and brings pace and skill, Forestieri who can play left or No 10 and is dynamic, & Fletcher who does have more of an all round game in comparison, but a good manager who chooses Nuihu to lead the line sets the team up to play to his strengths. Right now i'd say only Jos has actually done that consistently since Nuihu came to the club, although the last few games that's not been the case and Nuihu hasn't looked very good for it.

When you look at it, the situation is similar to Pelupessy, who gets slated on here, unfairly imo, but when he's given very clear instructions and the players around do their job, he is very effective.