Westwood

8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Wow...what a short sighted response!!

its like taking Tom Lees out and wondering why we’ve started conceding goals and then saying...”he’s only one person out of the back four”.

when someone is as influential as Westwood is playing and then goes missing it’s very noticeable and IMO we haven’t maintained that standard with with Dawson or Wildsmith!! 

But you're implying one person out of the defence has ruined our defence.

I'm saying we have not lost our defending ability just through the absence of Westwood, we have also lost Loovens (who vastly helped Lees), Sasso, Hunt etc and that is why we're conceding more goals. 

5 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

But you're implying one person out of the defence has ruined our defence.

I'm saying we have not lost our defending ability just through the absence of Westwood, we have also lost Loovens (who vastly helped Lees), Sasso, Hunt etc and that is why we're conceding more goals. 

As I said....you’ve missed the point entirely!! I’ve not said or implied anywhere that the defence is ruined because Westwood isn’t in the net. in fact one of my comment was “Westwood tightens the defence up”. Not that he makes the defence.

27 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

its like taking Tom Lees out and wondering why we’ve started conceding goals and then saying...”he’s only one person out of the back four”.

when someone is as influential as Westwood is playing and then goes missing it’s very noticeable and IMO we haven’t maintained that standard with with Dawson or Wildsmith!! 

The problem with the defence is not the GK it's the lack of leadership in front.

Tom Lees is not the same player without a leader at the side of him.

And we are still sh!t at cutting out crosses..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

As I said....you’ve missed the point entirely!! I’ve not said or implied anywhere that the defence is ruined because Westwood isn’t in the net. in fact one of my comment was “Westwood tightens the defence up”. Not that he makes the defence.

Ok just re-read your original comments, apologies I did misinterpret your point.

• Like 2

Don’t remember Westwood pulling up trees last season so checked back on stats, 3 clean sheets from 18 games last term. Let’s see if Young Dawson can manage a few in his next 11 games. 

I don’t pretend to know the behind the scenes details but what I do believe is that Westwood was a great keeper, Dawson could be a great keeper and only one of those is part of our future so I have no worry of the future being part of the now. 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Don’t remember Westwood pulling up trees last season so checked back on stats, 3 clean sheets from 18 games last term. Let’s see if Young Dawson can manage a few in his next 11 games. 

I don’t pretend to know the behind the scenes details but what I do believe is that Westwood was a great keeper, Dawson could be a great keeper and only one of those is part of our future so I have no worry of the future being part of the now. 

During Westy's fantastic performances, we have been missing a midfield cruncher and giant stopper.

Comapre spending on forwards to defence. It's a joke.

Hull at Wembley would 've been a 4 -0 defeat without him.

We are putting a top 6 place at risk.

55 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I reckon if you take Tom Lees out of our defence  then we'll start conceding less goals

:stuwinky:

If you take the situations with FF, Westwood and Hutchinson together, it’s obvious that whilst other factors may be at play, Jos is stamping his authority on the playing squad.

There is way too much player power in the  modern game.

Jos is making sure it’s his way - got to applaud him for having the balls to do it. If he ruffles a few ego’s along the way that can’t be a bad thing.

12 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

During Westy's fantastic performances, we have been missing a midfield cruncher and giant stopper.

Thats ok if we win the play offs. Do you really believe we are a top two team with Westwood playing. One player doesn't make that much difference. FF isn't starting at the moment but half on here believed we would be in shiite street without him starting. Hasn't panned out that way, as it.

Would prefer Westwood in the team if we are serious about promotion if we are consolidating then the other two will get invaluable experience.   

Having said that I don't think Dawson has been out and out to blame for any goals this season.  Wouldn't have thought Westwood would have made much difference.

You could make an argument that Westwood commands the area better and may give the defence more confidence.

4 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Thats ok if we win the play offs. Do you really believe we are a top two team with Westwood playing. One player doesn't make that much difference. FF isn't starting at the moment but half on here believed we would be in shiite street without him starting. Hasn't panned out that way, as it.

I believe with him and our loan signings, plus Lee, Hoops, etc back, we could do a Hudders.

We just gotta tighten up and quick - with those next few games.

Don't get me wrong, all our youngsters are really promising but there's just too many at present.

Westwood played first half at Lincoln and seemed quite relaxed and in tune with the rest of the team and was greeted with enthusiasm by the supporters that night , so dont think it's anything to do with dressing room problems , more likely probs re bonuses for clean sheets or ,less likely in my view , probs with Jos , who may be under pressure from C C .

2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

But the defense is arguably worse than it was last season and he only kept three sheets then, what’s to say after nine months out he’d do any better than his previous seasons performances? 

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

well we moaned that we had  an injury prone aging squad ...jos as now reduced the age of team and to do that there as to be some casualties of aging players . he came with a reputation of giving youth a chance so it's no great surprise that the ones being left out are the over 30s who's best days are behind them …..take jones he doesn't get a look in now but  he's a better player than say conor Kirby but if theres a place come up i'd hope and expect that it would be Kirby gets the nod . if you don't make tough decisions of playing the future over the past  then the team would never evolve .

You are saying that you would want a better player benched and the lesser talented player playing instead? Where's the logic in that?!

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Similar to the George Hirst situation?

So Westwood is a youth team player who has barely kicked a ball in the first team but is demanding a first team wage otherwise he'll leave the club for free in the Summer??

Something has clearly happened behind the scenes but let's be honest, this has got zero similarities with the George Hirst situation.

Yes that is the exact similarity of the situation i was pertaining too. Honestly, it really was. 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

But the defense is arguably worse than it was last season and he only kept three sheets then, what’s to say after nine months out he’d do any better than his previous seasons performances? 

Of course, I'm looking mid - term not just next game.

And he didn't play that much last season.

We have conceded way more goals too this season.

Hector in will also be a big help.