Westwood

2 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

We’ve not kept a clean sheet this season and look vulnerable at times at the back...yet we’ve got a keeper available to us who as so far in his career with us, won player of the season and kept more clean sheets than I care to remember (equaling our clean sheet record in one of the seasons).

The decision by the club and/or Jos is baffling!! I’m all for giving these Young lads a whirl but there needs to be a sense of perspective in it all...Westwood is our best keeper (there’s no debate). The decision isn’t made on footballing reasons on the pitch, it’s between Westwood and the management off the field. 

Westwood in the side helps the back four tighten up...he would certainly help thornley and penny individually as well. 

But the clean sheet record was not only down to the keeper, we had one of the best defenses in the league at the time, sadly we can't say that now.

Without wishing to be rude, I do think some people forget that this is not fifa, i.e. just stick the man with the best stats in each position. Those stats are individual and do not relate in any way to the team.

Fifa players don't misbehave, rub each other up the wrong way, fall out with the manager, sack off training, refyse to travel, cause fractions in the dressing room etc, real players can.

Not saying that Westwood or Forestieri have done any of those things but real players are susceptible to human error and it may just be a case of for the greater good their faces don't fit as 1st choice.

This manager is showing signs of being very competent and I could understand it if we had 2 points from 12 not 10 from 12.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't think with the current chairman and manager and comms team that we are the sort of club to dish dirt

Maybe if Roy Keane was in charge

Either way - I'd honestly just forget about Westwood - he's no longer in the picture

Do know more than what you say?  You were correct that we would be signing the two lads on loan just after you said you talked to DC (not sure if the two are connected). Did you hear anything on the grapevine about Westwood?

44 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

The Westwood saga is undoubtedly one of the reasons Andy Rhodes decided it was time to part company with the club, which was a bigger loss than the najority realise .

All three of our goalkeepers share similar flaws none possess good strong kicks 

No length to throw outs take far too much time distributing when in possession.

Westwood is the most senior and  worst offender of the 3 ..

This is down to  coaching and influence .  it appears our new coaching staff has identified this and have dealt with it and are continuing to improve the situation  ...

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, emersonthome said:

Once would probably do. 

3 possible reasons

1) Jos thinks Dawson is a better keeper

2) Jos has fallen out with KW/ thinks he's disruptive

3) There's a contractual/ finance reason. 

You've already ruled out 1, so is it 2 or 3, and how do you know?

We have to find 10 Million before the end of the season or we’re screwed financially

Where we have adequate cover, and we have in the goalkeeping department, the club want big earners off the wage bill

It’s not hard to work out

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Ireland have had far worse keepers playing for them in recent years. 

Must be a reason. 

Not playing Westwood doesn’t bother me. Not moving him on and saving a fortune, does. 

Maybe nobody wants him, or maybe he is refusing to go. If so how do we get round that ?

1 hour ago, hawksmore said:

The funniest thing about it all is when people try and justify that Dawson is the better keeper. Or that it’s all about development of youth, which is just not true. No war has Westwood just all of a sudden become a useless keeper. 

It reeks of similar goings on to the GH situation. 

Similar to the George Hirst situation?

So Westwood is a youth team player who has barely kicked a ball in the first team but is demanding a first team wage otherwise he'll leave the club for free in the Summer??

Something has clearly happened behind the scenes but let's be honest, this has got zero similarities with the George Hirst situation.

12 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Maybe nobody wants him, or maybe he is refusing to go. If so how do we get round that ?

Presumably he will have win bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, perhaps they are substantial, at least we’re saving having to pay those

Guest RobbieOwl

Football fans moan when players show no loyalty and leave for more money like Westwood could have done countless times, yet where is the loyalty to Westwood as a fan base, The club imo, hae far too easily pushed this situation to the side, one of our greatest ever keepers and their are people on here who have the audacity to start slating his character. What a way to treat the bloke.

If their was any disciplinary concerns with Westwood they would say so.

1 hour ago, swfcGibbo said:

Really? Nothing to do with the chance to become an assistant manager at a club he had played for in his career with one of his best pals as the manager? 

Read my post again, I said one of the reasons not THE reason .

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It starts with understanding PR, press teams and communications

If you think it's down to footballing ability then carry on but it's not

But you’ve said it’s obvious why he’s not in the team, and we all know it’s not due to ability 

So if it’s so obvious can’t you break it down for us? Instead of a general answer like PR 

Guest RobbieOwl

Until the club come out and give a reason as to why Westwood is no longer being considered for selection, then we will continue to debate, Saying he is 3rd choice and the way Jos said it, was obvious there is something going on.

FF must feel a bit peed off if Westwood has done anything wrong, they called FF out live on sky lol  

9 minutes ago, RobbieOwl said:

Football fans moan when players show no loyalty and leave for more money like Westwood could have done countless times, yet where is the loyalty to Westwood as a fan base, The club imo, hae far too easily pushed this situation to the side, one of our greatest ever keepers and their are people on here who have the audacity to start slating his character. What a way to treat the bloke.

If their was any disciplinary concerns with Westwood they would say so.

My loyalty is to the shirt

I’ve seen too many Bannister’s, and Atkinson’s to think any other way

• Like 1