Blame for their goals

Just watched the highlights back.

Ist goal Biram Diouf receives a pass behind our centre-halves. How did that happen? Diouf was out wide being marked by Palmer but he drifts inside. Palmer should either get tight to him or better still leave him to run offside. He does neither. So he's able to pick up a pass behind our centre-halves because Palmer is some yards behind them and playing him onside. He gives it to Afobe who finishes well. So sloppy from Palmer.

2nd goal Etebo stands with the ball in our half. He's faced by Bannan and Pelupessy. He has two options to pass to because both Ince and Allen are in the avenue between our midfield and back 4. A simple pass between B and P cuts them both out leaving Ince facing our back 4. The problem here is the lack of pressure on Etebo. He has all the time in the world to look up and pick his pass. B and P both realise that nobody is pressing him so they both make a forward move, deserting the space behind. Whose fault? Better communication between B and P might have helped but they were in a difficult position because no-one else was closing Etebo. Reach was the nearest but was loitering behind Etebo having no influence on the play. Once Ince gets the ball he passes to Biram Diouf who is offside but Tom Lees diverts it to Afobe instead who has broken away from a flat-footed Thorniley and is not successfully tracked by Penney. ! on 1. Goal.

The main problem for me is B and P letting runners get between them and the back 4. It happened a lot because those in front of them weren't doing the closing down job. B and P shouldn't have to go chasing for the ball up to the half-way line and beyond as happened again and again.

At times we had 4 or 5 players in their half when they had the ball, as if we were playing a high pressing game. Yet their defenders had loads of time on the ball and just passed it through them to players in front of our exposed back 4. A high press with no actual pressing.

Just now, danswfc1987 said:

Tom lees fault for both. Needs to be dropped. Gets off lightly from our fans. Half the player he used to be

Not sure about dropping him but I said yesterday he seems a shadow of his former self - just looks like he has no confidence.

Looked to me our problems in the first 20 minutes we're caused by our starting positions when out of possession....

Joao and Matias went wide with Reach and Fletcher pushing right up on their centre halves. This left Woods with the freedom of the park to orchestrate play.

Eventually we cottoned on and Reach dropped deeper to pick him up. Damage was done by then though.

1 minute ago, Spookone said:

Not sure about dropping him but I said yesterday he seems a shadow of his former self - just looks like he has no confidence.

Needs a strong character/leader to give him confidence, he was fine when Loovens managed him.

4 minutes ago, Spookone said:

He’s had no competition ever so to complacent for me. Now hectors here is consider dropping him just for a kick up arse. He’s way to slow n static nowadays 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So basically a thread to slate Palmer and Pelupessy?

How's about a thread pointing out the positives of yesterday, the class play, the clever passing, the great moves, the class dribbling from the likes of Penney? 

etc

The hate for Palmer and Nuhiu around me in the Grandstand is unreal. It seriously makes me wonder what some people's motivation is to go. It's like they just go to let off frustration by shouting and balling at our own players. Bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Just watched the highlights back.

Ist goal Biram Diouf receives a pass behind our centre-halves. How did that happen? Diouf was out wide being marked by Palmer but he drifts inside. Palmer should either get tight to him or better still leave him to run offside. He does neither. So he's able to pick up a pass behind our centre-halves because Palmer is some yards behind them and playing him onside. He gives it to Afobe who finishes well. So sloppy from Palmer.

2nd goal Etebo stands with the ball in our half. He's faced by Bannan and Pelupessy. He has two options to pass to because both Ince and Allen are in the avenue between our midfield and back 4. A simple pass between B and P cuts them both out leaving Ince facing our back 4. The problem here is the lack of pressure on Etebo. He has all the time in the world to look up and pick his pass. B and P both realise that nobody is pressing him so they both make a forward move, deserting the space behind. Whose fault? Better communication between B and P might have helped but they were in a difficult position because no-one else was closing Etebo. Reach was the nearest but was loitering behind Etebo having no influence on the play. Once Ince gets the ball he passes to Biram Diouf who is offside but Tom Lees diverts it to Afobe instead who has broken away from a flat-footed Thorniley and is not successfully tracked by Penney. ! on 1. Goal.

The main problem for me is B and P letting runners get between them and the back 4. It happened a lot because those in front of them weren't doing the closing down job. B and P shouldn't have to go chasing for the ball up to the half-way line and beyond as happened again and again.

At times we had 4 or 5 players in their half when they had the ball, as if we were playing a high pressing game. Yet their defenders had loads of time on the ball and just passed it through them to players in front of our exposed back 4. A high press with no actual pressing.

Been saying this for ages. Our "pressing" is simply going through the motions. It especially bugs me when our players make a twenty plus yard run to close down their keeper and then as they get to within 5 yards they ease off and let him clear the ball. What's all that about?

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How's about a thread pointing out the positives of yesterday, the class play, the clever passing, the great moves, the class dribbling from the likes of Penney? 

etc

Don’t be daft , endless waffle about westwood , how crap nuihu and Palmer and joey are is far more exciting !

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

etc

There are threads for those? People are praising Penny etc.

Why can’t we have both? If errors are made does it matter who it is? Should there not be a discussion on them?

10 minutes ago, Spookone said:

was same whenever loovens wasn't playing next to him ,agree about not dropping him bit needs to improve his performances,he's been very average so far this season

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

The hate for Palmer and Nuhiu around me in the Grandstand is unreal. It seriously makes me wonder what some people's motivation is to go. It's like they just go to let off frustration by shouting and balling at our own players. Bizarre.

Exactly

Add Pelupessy to that and you've got the trio of hate

It's like they play for Sheffield United the way some of our fans go off with em, yet all of them are playing a part in this majestic unbeaten run

Owlstalk Shop

You couldn't make it up. We made a great come back after a miserable 25 mins and even looked like we could have gotten the winner and some of our supporters are more bothered about pointing fingers.

Do we need to learn from our mistakes? Yes. However we should let the gaffer do that role and not us. Constantly slating players is a bad way to go.

Edited by ohgoditsjames
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2