Having Slept on it...

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

The job he appears to have been given doesn’t suit his strengths.

Under the system we are playing his best position is one of the wide positions in the front three.

He is very effective there.

Thing is, in my view he has to be in the team and Jos has to sort it.

If we played the same 11 I would put Reach wide and Joao or Matias in the centre 

Agreed. I would prefer a 4-3-3 formation and right now I would have Reach and FF as wide attackers and Joao in the middle.

I think we should go with Bannan and Onomah in midfield ahead of a defensive midfielder but I am not convinced with Joey. 

Like you say, we need Reach in the team. He is a team player, plays with high energy and he will always do the defensive work. 

He just needs to get involved more with the ball. It doesn’t have to be out wide, he can pick up the ball deep and carry the ball the length of the field, he has that type of energy. With Jos saying we rely too much on Bannan for creativity, then Reach is the obvious candidate to help him out. 

4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He played the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 formation. I agree with GJ - he was aimless yesterday and I don’t think he’s clever enough to play the role.

Yep, played 'in the hole' but might as well have been a black hole as his influence on the game was non-existent. 

Never noticed he was playing till second half, then he sort of was pushing up on the ginger kid who had so much space to pick passes it was ridiculous, he never actually went near him to challenge just stood a couple of yards off. I was wanting him to go in knock him about a bit and put ginger off but them remembered it was Reach and he never really tackles. We need him in position where he can carry the ball at defenders.

I would say, most of the players have the role to which they are best suited, the exception being Reach. For me, I’m happy that he’s part of a central three, and I’m not suggesting he returns to a wide position. His role as part of that three, probably needs a tweak, so he can be more involved in the game He has the talent to influence games, more than he currently does

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

He played as an ineffective Shadow Striker yesterday.

Played really close to Fletcher, but never actually got beyond him.

As a result, because Pelupessy was given man marking duties on Allen, with Reach play so advanced, it left Bannan totally exposed...if he went to press, it left acres of space between defence and midfield (see the 1st two highlights on iFollow...the 1st goal and Ince's opportunity) , if he sat in, Stoke had time to careful pick a pass through us (see Stoke's 2nd goal). 

At no point during that first 20 minutes, was Reach behind the ball in midfield. So his position, left us ruthlessly exposed. 

But, to compound it further, because he was so far away from Bannan and Pelupessy, he couldn't get in the game himself. He was totally anonymous yesterday. He's not a No. 10...never has been...his game is about directness and driving forward. 

Interesting to see what Jos has planned for Onomah...because you'd suspect, Onomah best position is the one Reach is currently occupying. And with Joao and Penney doing well down the left flank...where does Reach fit in?

You've talked one of our best players out of the side. 

I think he can be inconsistent though and needs to sort his playing position out. 

5 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

"Ineffective" doesn't come close to doing it justice.  

I have to say i have no idea whether we are playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 (it looked like 4-4-2 at the end with Atdhe and Fletch up top) but if it is 4-2-3-1 then having a 2 of Pelopessy and Bannan with Reach the "free" role in the 3 is imo asking for trouble (as Stoke proved for 20 minutes yesterday)

At least the opposition dont know how we are going to play

it is a lot more to do  with how Jos is asking him to play rather than Reach himself and to be fair to him we need to recognise this. Jos played Hutch in this position earlier in the season and that was worse nonsense.

He is obviously being told to play up against their defensive midfield player, yesterday that was Woods. By definition a defensive midfielder rarely goes forward so by consequence Reach rarely went back. He just shuttles between the centre halfs and the midfielder never touching the ball. Once the ball is played past him he stays with the midfielder never tracking back.. Often yesterday he was our most forward player while Matias , Joao and even Fletcher were chasing back.

It's rubbish from Jos.

If he wants somevody to play up there play Joao or Matias and move Reach into their wide position where he can use his strengths .

If he changes the role to more of an orthodox midfielder then Reach will be fine.

Edited by oldishowl

8 hours ago, torres said:

Has anyone got a name for the Position Reach was supposed to have played yesterday??

On holiday at present so missed the game. Read this and thought of the Rugby position "First five-eighth "

Any help.

Did Bazza do any "play action fakes " NFL just asking