Having Slept on it...

I’ve said it before, we have to try and find the best way of getting him to influence a game It’s going to be in midfield, where he’s  pretty much been given a free role, but he has to be given some sort of structure. He isn’t clever enough to find solutions for himself, and in my opinion, needs more guidance. His strong running needs to be harnessed to enable him to hurt the opposition more often Too often, it can be a bit aimless

Guest Jack the Hat
3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's called the worker bee role.

Yesterday it was the 'might as well been sat next to me' role. Which he seems to play a lot.

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He played the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 formation. I agree with GJ - he was aimless yesterday and I don’t think he’s clever enough to play the role.

The job he appears to have been given doesn’t suit his strengths.

Under the system we are playing his best position is one of the wide positions in the front three.

He is very effective there.

Thing is, in my view he has to be in the team and Jos has to sort it.

If we played the same 11 I would put Reach wide and Joao or Matias in the centre 

"Ineffective" doesn't come close to doing it justice.  

I have to say i have no idea whether we are playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 (it looked like 4-4-2 at the end with Atdhe and Fletch up top) but if it is 4-2-3-1 then having a 2 of Pelopessy and Bannan with Reach the "free" role in the 3 is imo asking for trouble (as Stoke proved for 20 minutes yesterday)

He played as an ineffective Shadow Striker yesterday.

Played really close to Fletcher, but never actually got beyond him.

As a result, because Pelupessy was given man marking duties on Allen, with Reach play so advanced, it left Bannan totally exposed...if he went to press, it left acres of space between defence and midfield (see the 1st two highlights on iFollow...the 1st goal and Ince's opportunity) , if he sat in, Stoke had time to careful pick a pass through us (see Stoke's 2nd goal). 

At no point during that first 20 minutes, was Reach behind the ball in midfield. So his position, left us ruthlessly exposed. 

But, to compound it further, because he was so far away from Bannan and Pelupessy, he couldn't get in the game himself. He was totally anonymous yesterday. He's not a No. 10...never has been...his game is about directness and driving forward. 

Interesting to see what Jos has planned for Onomah...because you'd suspect, Onomah best position is the one Reach is currently occupying. And with Joao and Penney doing well down the left flank...where does Reach fit in?

He is a completely different player when we don't have the ball. I'm not the biggest pellupessy fan but he works hard when we do or dont have the ball. Reach stands around and watches the other players pressure and run around, then runs constantly when we have the ball without doing a great deal. Plus he bottles every tackle hes ever done, there was one in particular in the 1st half that was embarassing.

Hopefully this Onomah can come into CM and replace reach and allow us to use him further up field on the side of a 3 and rotate him with Matias/joao. 

I REALLY wasnt a fan of him when he first came here, thought we'd managed to buy a winger who can't cross/take a player on but last year completely changed my opinion so hopefully he gets back to where he was

I would play him on left in front of Penney would play Joao on right and Mattias behind Fletcher. Think this would mean holding Palmer back in defensive role as would not get much help from Joao but think Joao can be effective on right and Mattias can feed off Fletcher as he did yesterday. Think Penney and reach together would cause opposition a few headaches on left and may be a good supply line for forwards.

Think part of problem arises from us having far more players comfortable on left side than on right. JP has not had opportunity to correct it although we have brought Onomah in on loan and he may be able to help.

On the plus side having a nidfield 3 who get forward is allowing BB to have more time and space in midfield and he is beginning to make this count.