Stoke were quite good

Guest The Horse

Guest The Horse

I thought Stoke were actually a bloody good side.

Yes, we gifted them a perfect start but for large periods of the game, we couldn't get the ball off them and it would've been game over if they got the third at any point.

In midfield and up front, they were miles ahead of us.

However, we have something they don't appear to have at the moment and that's mental strength.

As soon as our players realised that they were defensively weak and could be got at, the tide turned. Stoke's defence seemed panicked at our every attack.

Think once they sort out the defence or manager even, they'll bomb on.

Don't think we'll play against a better side this season than we faced in that first 30 mins.

TL:DR Thought Stoke were good but we showed real character to pull it back.

Proud of the Owls tonight.

I thought their midfield was outstanding, although we didn't half help them by refusing to close down properly for most of the game - certainly the first half hour. Reach and Joao in particular needed to get far tighter; their little ginger ballplayer (Woods?) was good, but he wouldn't have been half as good if he'd not had 15 seconds to pick every single pass he wanted.

Up front I actually thought they were kind of awful - their movement was VERY impressive but for the positions they got into, and the number of times they utterly gave our entire back four the slip without any of them even realising they were marking thin air until a good few seconds later, they barely hit the target after the first two goals. They could've and should've had four easily. And so should we.

A draw was fair. Stoke do look very weak mentally too, you're absolutely right. They'd pretty much caved and were parking the bus and timewasting from the minute Bazza's free kick went in, bar the odd half-hearted foray up our end with no real goal threat.

Edited by Mr. Tom

I thought first 20 we were in for a really horrendous day. They looked very good. Woods in top draw, was for Brentford and wish we paid the money to get him when we were linked a couple of years ago. 

But clearly quite mentally weak. Their heads dropped the moment we equalised. But they came out well start of the second and if it wasn't for Thorniley they would have got 3 points today. Fair play to Wednesday for hanging on and we finished the stronger.

Don't rate Rowett as a manager. If they got someone else in, they'll be up there in my view

Diouf is an awful player and lucky for us still getting in their team somehow.

Otherwise I personally feel they will be top 6 this season 

Their fixtures so far this season have been tough, besides the result against Wigan. No doubt once they get a run of more winnable games they will be up there 

They came out of the traps like a house on fire but you could see our equaliser coming a mile off, they lack a killer instinct which is all too common amongst relegated teams. Had we performed to our decent level we'd have won today.

All I hear about Ince and Allen is how much quality they possess but their set pieces today were bordering on embarrassing. It was like watching Wednesday in the Chris Turner era!

They were a big, powerful side. They kept banging it in to a striker who knocked it down to Ince in the first half. It was obvious but it was easy for them.

They could have beat us by six if they could finish better.  Even more if they could look across the line.

They should be comfortably top 4 with that squad but won't be because they have Rowett.