Ron Atkinson

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

I agree 100%. 

But I don't recall anyone complaining at the time when signing the likes of Waddle, Sinton (big letdown but was great to beat Arsenal to his signing) etc, going to Wembley 4 times in 2 months and genuinely competing at the top table of English football for a couple of years.

Hindsight is a great thing.

Like today, the fans didn't know the ins and outs of the finances, theres only so much a fan can be expected to do..

Would it have changed owt?..I dunno, did we sack Francis too quickly..I thought so, although we were having a poor trot..Pleat was shocking, then came Big ron again, his second stint ended in what can only be thought of as revenge, cos he was pulling it round...Then..Danny...and offa the cliff

19 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

I’m convinced that if Atkinson, in his second spell, hadn’t been sacked out of what was pure spite from our then chairman, we would still be a premier league team now. 

He he knew how to manage the likes of Carbone and Di Canio and the results could have been spectacular!

According to Ron's autobiography it was the directors who wanted him out rather than Richards himself. Ron had lined up Nigel Pearson as his assistant and had made transfer plans for the new season, then he got the push and we ended up with Danny bloody Wilson. We don't need to be reminded what happened from then on... 

11 minutes ago, alanharper said:

According to Ron's autobiography it was the directors who wanted him out rather than Richards himself. Ron had lined up Nigel Pearson as his assistant and had made transfer plans for the new season, then he got the push and we ended up with Danny bloody Wilson. We don't need to be reminded what happened from then on... 

I wouldn't put a deal of stock in "Rons" autobiography..The bloke has lied before.........