Happy 60th Chris Turner

Still remember an unbelievable save he made against Wrexham in the late seventies.

Their player shot towards the left side of the net, the ball took a massive deflection to go to the right hand corner

as Turner was still going left but he still managed to change direction and clawed it away from goal.

One in a long line of great goalkeepers we've had here.

Many Happy Returns to him.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

If only he had been a couple of inches taller he could have been an England player.

The reason big Jack Replaced him with Bob Bolder which went down like a lead ballon with us fans at the time.

Aye. That's what they said.

*Jack pictured here with daughter Debbie...

charlton.PNG

1 hour ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Still remember an unbelievable save he made against Wrexham in the late seventies.

Their player shot towards the left side of the net, the ball took a massive deflection to go to the right hand corner

as Turner was still going left but he still managed to change direction and clawed it away from goal.

One in a long line of great goalkeepers we've had here.

Many Happy Returns to him.

i remember that (i think)!,my memory was at the lep end (i thought it was against tranmere in a FA cup replay at night).brilliant save,dunno how he did it but it has always stuck in my mind too :Pelupessy:

39 minutes ago, ... said:

Never saw him play for for Wednesday but I saw him manage us.....

He was the drizzling SH1TS

But if wasn't for Turner we wouldn't have had Sturruck and for that I will wish him a Happy Birthday

Not our greatest manager ever granted. But played a vital part in our last trophy winning side and a decent goalkeeper for us when called upon. 

Happy Birthday Chris. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ... said:

But if wasn't for Turner we wouldn't have had Sturruck and for that I will wish him a Happy Birthday

It's a shame that.

It's one of the reasons I don't like ex players coming back as managers; invariably it taints the memory of them as players, as in both Wilson and Turner's case they were pretty woeful in the top job.

Turner was the sort of keeper you rarely see these days, slight, with catlike reflexes. As @optimisticowl rightly says, he should never have been replaced with Woods, who was hugely overrated IMO.

Happy Birthday Chris!

UTO

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

He was poor as our manager but a bit harsh to refer to that and only give him a back-handed compliment for getting sacked in his birthday thread!

He could spot a good player - brought a fair few decent signings into the club that Sturrock was able to make into a team and get the best out of.

2 hours ago, sw1867 said:

I thanked Turner in my wedding speech for that save at Wembley.

I woke early that morning and put on the VHS tape of ‘Will to Win’ the one where Hirsty two footed Stuart Pearce, followed by the Rumbelows Cup final.

The goal and Turners save still made me celectrate in my mum and dads front room as I did at Wembley that day as a 13 year old.

What a great day that was!

Was thinking of that save as I clicked the thread! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

Trevor Francis should never have signed Chris Woods IMO, Turner and Pressman should have been left to compete for the number one spot.

Agree 1.2m thrown down the toilet, should've spent that on a couple of outfield players we may have won the league 

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He was poor as our manager but a bit harsh to refer to that and only give him a back-handed compliment for getting sacked in his birthday thread!

He could spot a good player - brought a fair few decent signings into the club that Sturrock was able to make into a team and get the best out of.

Brunt and Whelan for a start. And Maclean. And Bullen. I also liked McGovern and Graeme Lee. 

• Like 1